Texans sign OT Ryan Harris

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Alan Burge ‏@AlanBurge
    Ryan Harris is your new OT #texans

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
    Denver Post says OT Ryan Harris has signed with Texans so he can return to zone blocking scheme.

DOB: 3/11/1985
    Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 300
    College: Notre Dame

Background: http://predominantlyorange.com/2012/09/01/broncos-cut-t-ryan-harris-but-his-career-likely-not-over/

[​IMG]

2. Bleed_Blu_Red

Bleed_Blu_Red Veteran

Very Nice if his back is good to go Great Pick Up

3. Seasick Sailor

Seasick Sailor Rookie

I'm glad to see we claimed someone to help the line depth.

Can he handle the swing tackle role?

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Well he has proven he can be a good T in the NFL, I guess the question is whether his back can handle it.

Definitely worth kicking the tyres on.

5. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

6. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

It had to happen. Not a surprise, and hopefully his back holds up.

7. Bleed_Blu_Red

Bleed_Blu_Red Veteran

Just throwing it out there if Newton struggles you think Kub's would pull him early and throw in Harris?

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

No. Newton is going to struggle early, it's what most young players do. It is better for him to struggle in the beginning of the season than in the playoffs.

Now, an arrangement like what happened in Brown's rookie season is pretty likely.

9. Bleed_Blu_Red

Bleed_Blu_Red Veteran

Ya exactly what I was thinking RT by committee

10. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That is not what I am saying. Newton should be the starter. Harris will just spell him every couple series.

11. Bleed_Blu_Red

Bleed_Blu_Red Veteran

That's what I meant I think Harris will see the field more then what People think though Salam was on the field a lot for Brown his rookie yr and Newton is nowhere close to Duane

12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

I know a lot more about Ryan Harris than I do about Derek Newton. Excellent pick-up until Newton is fully developed. :specnatz:

13. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

If you want a look at Harris, he started Denver's last game at RT. It's being replayed on NFLN tonight(tomorrow) at 2:00AM CDT.

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I read the whole article in the Denver Post that was in this thread, and it sounds like most of the league has basically given up on Harris because they consider him another injury waiting to happen. And the story goes on to say that Harris at this point in his career is basically a RT, so apparently he's not going to be the true swing-tackle we were looking for ?
    Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky and Newt will play respectively from Day one, or if we have to call on Harris he'll hold up long enough until the starter he's relieving can get back into the lineup ?

15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Considering we are taking the scraps off of the bone of other people's steak, I think Harris is about as good as we could expect. Good pickup. IIR he was fairly highly regarded early in his career, but it looks like the injury bug has been his nemesis.

I think how much he plays will be up to Newton. I doubt he sees any snaps at all this first week barring major injury (knock on wood) After that, I really just think it's up to Newton. If he plays like he did in the preseason, which was inconsistent at best from this layman's perspective, I could definitely see a platoon situation this year ala Duane Brown's rookie season. Nevertheless, until proven otherwise, RT has taken a major step backwards from the 2011 campaign.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Agreed. The thing I'm worried about is still Caldwell. Haven't been impressed yet. What are they going to do if they realize Newton's struggles are magnified by Caldwell's mental errors?

17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

This is not surprising, and he's probably the best we could do considering. I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope he's our saviour on the line however, but if he holds up enough to spell the others now and then, he's worth it.

18. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

How much did he cost?

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

First off Ryan Harris was a premier guard prospect coming out of Notre Dame. If healthy he could be a better option @ RT than Newton beause of his experience & ability to mirror & slide in pass pro, very polished. Both lack ideal size for an NFL tackle but that's OK ZBS. Denver/Houston type player. Never fully developed strength because of injury's, best suited now as reserve tackle, if he can stay healthy & get stronger adequate starter material.

I love Newton as a left guard, not so sure he has the size to develop into elite RT prospect/player? He will start until Ryan can catch-up, depending on play may see some type of rotational plan dictated by play calling/match-ups. I have Tackle as my number one draft priority after this season. I hope Schaub can survive otherwise we are looking a TJ Yates leading the Texans in consecutive playoff appearances.

20. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Has he been given and passed his physical this soon? 3 back surgeries is nothing to minimize. The reason that he was available and probably not heavy on the pocket book is the same reason we probably won't have him on the field for too long.