Texans sign eight to practice squad

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Jottoz, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Jottoz

Jottoz Hall of Fame

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5535

Name Pos. Age Exp. College
    Davis, Buster LB 25 2 Florida St.
    Foster, Arian RB 23 R Tennessee
    Helms, Brett C 23 R LSU
    Jamison, Tim DE 23 R Michigan
    Jenkins, Darnell WR 26 1 Miami (Fla.)
    Nading, Jesse DE 24 2 Colorado St.
    Parson, Mark CB 23 R Ohio
    Stenavich, Adam T 26 1 Michigan

Looks like all players from camp

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I'm glad to see they brought Buster back. I half expected to see Brink brought back. Maybe they're not going to trade Rex.

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I'm breathing a sigh of relief that Foster made it through

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm glad to see Arian Foster back in the fold, even if it's the practice squad. Has anyone seen a reason we kept Andre Hall as one of the RBs? I don't recall seeing him in preseason, but then I wasn't totally sober (hahaha) during the Tampa game. If anyone has an opinion on Hall I'd like to hear it, the other three RBs I already know.

5. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Hall looked better than Foster in the Tampa game, and the fact that Foster had a difficult time getting on the field due to injury may have factored into the decision also.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm got the game on DVR, I'll probably watch it tomorrow. Thanks. :)

7. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Hall hit the ground running the second he signed with us a couple weeks ago. He had the look of a man who's experienced the bitterness of being cut. He wasn't going to let that happen. I dont believe him to be a longterm solution but i'm glad the Texans are giving him a shot. He had competition. His place is well earned.

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You beat me to it! :)
    during the post-halftime coachchat, Kubiak said that he told Foster that he "wanted to see more out of him" that he (kubiak) thought Foster left some yards out on the field. "We'll see how he responds", Kubiak said. Apparently, Foster's "response" was insufficient to beat out Hall for that last RB spot.

From my point of view, Hall ran with more authority than Foster did in the TB game. It was almost like the Rex vs. Dan comparison; just like Rex had the better game at QB, Hall had the better game at RB.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I am pleased with these eight players who were signed to the PS.

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hall started for Denver last year and had a couple of big games before he was injured.

He can return KO's, Hall is a Moats clone but he runs harder.

Hall has good hands and is a good receiver out of the backfield.

Hall is more familiar with the offense and is better at blitz pickup than Foster.

11. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

This is basically the Denver RB approach. You have a guy who works for a year or two but you always keep solid options nearby or on the practice squad. You run the guys into the ground and then get newer ones late in the next or via FA.

12. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The roster and PS shape up pretty much as expected.

It makes more sense to keep Hall on the roster, he's already familiar with the NFL.
    I swear that by the way Foster ran the ball in the PS, he was instructed to do so; ie. as not to show too much so we can slip him on the PS.

Let Brink go play somewhere in the "Minor League" better than have him on the PS. He has played in the WCO throughout college and he had spent enough time here to learn enough scheme already. Now that we have both Grossman and DanO, we don't need a project. He can always be called back.

I like Helms but he needs to bulk up and build some more strength.

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Why? I think it's pretty apparent now that Brink has no future at the NFL level.....he's just a emergency camp arm now. (I hope I never have to see him in a Texans' camp again) We'll probably be using another late round draft pick on another project QB next year.

14. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Nice. Actually, this is probably the first PS I've seen in recent memory that had players we could use. Seems like in years past they always had some washed up OT's, TE's and QB and none were worth putting in an actual game. At least Buster, Foster, and Jenkins seem to have some real skills.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I know most of these guys because they're repeats from last year or they have college name recognition (like Foster).

But who the heck is Mark Parson??
    Anyone heard of this guy before? I don't remember seeing him in T/C...? Did we steal him from some other team?

Never mind; sounds like he's been here all thru camp, I just overlooked him....

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  16. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

Because I believe the Texans are going to try & trade Grossman.

17. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

No one is going to give us anything for Rex. Anyway he is pretty much our #2 right now with the way Dan struggled.

18. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I actually don't think we'll trade Grossman.

I think Kubiak in the past would've liked to keep 3 Qbs on the roster but couldn't get anyone decent to come in and be that third guy, unless you liked the idea of OD being the emergency third QB. Which probably terrified everyone considering the non existent running game.

To be honest this is a make or break year for Matt. If he misses a significant amount of time due to injury I hope we decide to cut the cord on the Matt Schaub experiment. It wouldn't be due to not liking the guy, his work ethic, or his body of work, problem is we still have a limited body of work. We all know Grossman's got a live arm and just needs to work between the ears. From what I've seen between the good Rex and bad Rex, he's capable of playing inside himself.

If we have to pull the plug on a Schaub I like our two options moving forward without investing a high draft pick.

Thorn likes this.
  19. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I like this post. I have no idea if this is even close to the truth or not, but I like the post anyway.

20. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I would hope then we draft a QB to develop say in the 4th round. Like Tony Pike from Cinci.