Texans sign Derrick Ward

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Section516, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Section516

Section516 Warrior

Per ESPN.

Derrick Ward was unceremoniously dumped by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this week, and early speculation sent him to the St. Louis Rams; however, this was debunked by Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

On Friday, multiple sources (including ESPN's Adam Schefter) reported that Ward will visit with the Houston Texans Friday, and that the Seattle Seahawks have also expressed interest.

If those two fall through, another logical destination is the Oakland Raiders, who may be without Michael Bush for up to a quarter of the regular season.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Would be a good signing.

4. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Why did Tampa Bay dump him?

Money or injury?

Our RB corps is already loaded with walking wounded. Need a healthy back. Any sign of him not being 100%, then fail his physical.

5. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

He was paid alot and could not beat out an undrafted rookie

I'd still rather have Maroney

6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Morris was supposedly upset with Ward's conditioning. There were also reports that Ward was not in TB's "long term plans."

He was also outplayed by Kareem Huggins, who we saw last night, who is younger and cheaper.

7. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

My guess is money because Cadillac is their #1 and they seem to have 2 quality backups they can sign for cheaper. In our current state of RB's he is well worth a look imo.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

They'll have to sign someone, but whoever it is (including Ward) they are only here long enough for our wounded to come back.

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, we should hold tight a bit. Not that I'm saying he'll be signed, but there will be a lot more to choose from soon enough. I have to think there's going to be a better option than Ward.

10. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Who do you think is likely to be cut and would be a better option than Ward?

11. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Why? I don't think he is a very good RB. Kinda runs like a girl.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Well, that's why I think we should wait in order to see who's been cut. I'm not sure who's going to be available. I just wouldn't want us to jump on Ward 1st without waiting to see who might hit the waiver wire.

Heck, I might be off-base with this line of thinking. It definitely wouldn''t be the first time. :)

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I don't know if this guy is better, but I'd like to try him out.
    Danny Woodhead (Jets), a division II standout 2 years ago.
    He was on their PS last year.

The Jets have Shonn Greene, LT, and Joe McKnight.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I noticed him a lot in HK, but if the Jets were smart they'd keep Woodhead and cut McKnight. Maybe it's just the show, but McKnight seems like a dumbass.

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Wasn't McKnight a 4th rd pick?

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. I agree only on the basis if we had another healthy back not named Chris Henry. Last night Kubiak said something to the affect of ' as of right now we have one healthy back...um..I mean two if you count Chris Henry'. Chris Henry had about 3 quarters to give the coaches something to encourage them wanting him on the team for the long haul and I think he failed. The mere fact that Ward is coming in is reason to think the staff doesn't like Henry. Since we don't have another healthy back it makes more sense to get somebody now while we stil got 9 days to get them some plays in. After all we are playing Indianapolis and Ward can make plays.

HOU-TEX likes this.
  17. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Hmm, that kinda makes sense. I hadn't thought of it like that. Eh, I guess we'll see how it unflolds.

BTW, I had to Rep you. Your rep amount was 666, so I gave you a bump to get off that number. :winky:

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yeah, he was. I think the Jets even traded up to get him.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, I heard that and I was like... Ouch.

Chris may stick around long enough for other guys to get healthy but he doesn't sound like he's one of the four backs that we're going to be going with this season. The problem is that we don't know how long Slaton and Johnson are going to be down. We may need to PUP one of them (if we even can at this point.)

This may force us to cut somebody else that we would have been keeping just so we can bring in some insurance for this position.

20. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

Jeremiah Johnson has looked very good. I wouldn't expect the Texans to sign Ward if his conditioning is poor. He would be a stop gap measure until Johnson is recovered but I don't think they would dump him after that. Anyone brought in would have to be a good fit. I don't have any faith in Tampa's talent evaluators. As with any FA brought in to Houston, the price will have to be right.

Foster, Slaton, Johnson and Ward would be a pretty deep backfield. Johnson has looked better than Slaton. When healthy and able to pick up blitzes he could move Slaton to a pure 3rd down back.