Texans sign Antowain Smith

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MikeMc, May 5, 2006.

1. MikeMc

MikeMc All Pro

This is the story on Coogfans.com.

Any truth to this rumor??

2. shadowdrinker_x

shadowdrinker_x Rookie

That guy's still a solid runner..He came in when Deuce was hurt and played very well..He would be a good pickup for you guys...Great in between the tackles kinda runner to go with Davis's speed...

3. mancunian

mancunian Daleks Rule

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Irela
    He was also the Pats leading rusher they year they beat the Panthers in the Superbowl. Not sure how much gas he has left in the tank but I reckon as a change of pace/style then he could do a job.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Again, leadership is key here this season. We need guys who understand the significance of team ball. It's my understanding this guy plays that way and still has some gas in the tank. I assume that since it's his hometown and all he would love being here.

5. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

Is it true is the question?

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Sure, league minimum with a chance to make the roster. I have no problem wiht that.

7. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

We do need a true power back.

8. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

He is also a pretty darn good receiver out of the backfield and blocker if I am correct.

9. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

Berman just reported this on Fox 26 news.

His agent (Smith's) says that it is a 90% chance he will sign with the Texans but Miami has an outside shot at getting him

10. Stampede

Stampede Veteran

They said awhile back that they would not be resigning wells.

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I've never been high on Wells. Seems like the NFL isn't either. I don't think he has been looked at much around the league. From what I understand one of our priorities is finding a short yardage guy...Wells doesn't run heavy enough even though he looks like he should.

12. Stampede

Stampede Veteran

Wells had his moments and played with alot of fire, i wouldve liked to see what he could do with a competent coaching staff and better oline. DD should have a standout year imo.

13. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 Veteran

Oh Well(s) it's Antowain now...Go Coog'em

14. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I like Smith and think that he'll help this team alot. But im wondering, are the Texans going to carry 4 running backs? Where does Wali Lundy fit into the equation? I hope he can play special teams like Wells could.

As of now it looks like:

Davis = featured back
    Morency = 3rd down back/spell DD
    Smith = short yardage/goal line back
    Lundy = I thought short yardage/goal line back but more than likely exclusively special teams this year unless Smith gets injured.

15. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 Veteran

I like also him and the other three and may I add Kube may include possible receiving duties for some of them coming out of the backfield and/or offset to the sides.

16. tex

tex Veteran

What about Damiem Rhodes is he good enough to make the team?That would make 5 running backs.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

just because we are getting smith, doesn't mean he'll be playing with the Texans in '06. Same for Rhodes, and all the other running backs we are looking at now.

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Denver started the season with last year with 4 RBs and a FB (RBs Anderson, Bell, Dayne, Sapp; FB Johnson).

Project that to the Texans this year and (if they sign Antowain), it would probably be DD, Morency, Smith, Lundy, and Cook.

19. TexanBorn51

TexanBorn51 Veteran

I like what Damien Rhodes brings maybe the sleeper of sleepers in fullbacks.
    His Syracuse 2005 may have been the most impressive season of all, as the 6'0", 211-pound Rhodes rushed for 900 yards and 7 touchdowns on 219 carries, despite facing seven- and eight-man fronts almost exclusively due to a lack of vertical playmakers on his team. Syracuse was undergoing the first year of rebuilding under a new head coach - former Chiefs, Broncos and Jets defensive coordinator Greg Robinson – but Rhodes looked every bit the finished product in his senior season. He rose above a dismal 1-10 team record and became the center of the offense, adding 23 more catches for 270 yards to his resume.

Rhodes finished his time at Syracuse ranked third in career all-purpose plays (643), fifth in career all-purpose yards (3,972), seventh in career rushing touchdowns (24), ninth in career rushing yards (2,461), ninth in kick return yards (810), and ...

20. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

If he wants to play fullback he needs to get on a weight program first. He's smaller (lighter) than all of our RBs. At 6' 0" I assume he has the frame to add a few lbs. Practice squad might be a good place to start for Rhodes, unless the Antowain Smith thing falls through and he surprises and makes it as #4 RB.