Texans show interest in Texas A&M LB Sean Porter

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by srrono, Mar 29, 2013.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

The Houston Texans have displayed considerable interest in Porter.

Link

CBS Sports projects Porter as 3-4 round pick CBS

2. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

He projects as more of a 4-3 OLB at the next level. Don't see him as a 3-4 guy. Maybe they want to move him inside but he'll have to put on at least 10 lbs.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

@ 226 he's 20lbs heavier than Quin. He runs a 4.6 forty....

If we're looking for a hybrid player to answer the "new TEs" this might be it. He's smallish for a LB, biggish for a safety. Would definitely be a project, but if it works...

4. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

comparing a safety with a linebacker?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

TEs are going to be covered by a safety or a LB most of the time.

Sometimes, you get a LB like Anthony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski. They're too fast & athletic to be defended by a LB. Too big to be defended by a safety.

I believe we are going to see more of these guys in the future. There are probably a half dozen of them already that I didn't list. Defenses are going to have to change to address these hybrid TEs.

Quin was our guy. In some nickel situations, & in every dime package, he played as our MO, the ILB position next to the MIKE. I think Danieal Manning can play this position in lieu of Quin, however that would leave Keo playing deep safety with Reed. Not a very good option in my mind. Especially considering I don't feel Manning can play the position as well as Quin.

A better option would be to allow Manning & Reed as deep safeties then get a LB who can keep up with these faster/athletic TEs. However, this guy is pretty light against the run. Maybe he can play bigger, because that's what we will need.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think we saw what adding weight (Barwin) can do to some players. I am going to say no as an OLB but maybe ILB where increase of weight would help not hurt.

7. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

He's got Safety size and LB speed, not a good combo. If can add weight I can see him as a 4-3 MLB where adding weight would be a good thing, but I can't see him in a 3-4.

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

UPDATE: The Houston Texans were reported in late March to have expressed some interest in Texas A&M standout outside linebacker Sean Porter. That interest has recently developed into the Texans bringing Porter in for a private workout.

Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider

Sources: Texas A&M LB Sean Porter private workouts: Patriots, Chiefs, Cowboys, Texans, Bears, Broncos, Falcons, Rams

9. Rey

Rey Guest

Porter is a good player. I mocked him to us in one of my earlier mocks, and I picked him for the colts in the boards mock draft. He's pretty good at everything...coverage, rushing the passer stopping the run...

Would be an excellent pick up for us.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Could pass for a poor mans Alec Ogeltree without mental off field lapses. I could see it maybe with one of those 3rd rd picks.

11. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Manning at SS will be a severe mismatch against the receivers being discussed and will be one of the weak spots in our defense.

Cooper Taylor may or may not be the right guy, I like him in the third round, but this is the new proto-typical SS that we need to draft ( 6'-4"; 225 lbs; 4.47 forty; 23 reps ).

12. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Yes, he would work well as a Joker.