Texans should remain quiet during FA

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Jan 23, 2006.

1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Ok, heres what Ive realized after analyzing our past 4 seasons. We cannot bring in good Free Agents. Good FAs want 2 things: money and opportunity. Simply put, good FAs want to play for good teams so that they can 1)win games and 2)look good. Playing with good players makes you look even better. Playing with average->bad players makes you look worse. If you look bad, you will either retire early or leave and make less somewhere else where you'll be erquired to prove yourself with incentive laden deals. This is why the Texans cannot make any splashes in the FA market. We simply cannot lure good players to come here for affordable prices. If we want a ProBowl caliber player, we will have to break the bank to bring them here (see Orlando Pace). If we want average-> above average players here, we have to seriously over pay them. Lets take a look at the Todd Wade/Morlon Greenwood debacles. Both of these players played well in Miami's scheme but were considered to be pretty average NFL talents. Let's imagine that 3-5 teams were interested, all of which were most likely better than the Texans. All we can offer is more $$ and better facilities, and thus we end up paying significantly more for these players than we should.

This is why we did the PBuch trade, as well. We saw someone who looked like they may have some serious potential that we could acquire without hurting our cap situation, and pulled the trigger.

The basic situation is the Texans are a bad football team and players don't want to watch their career dwindle away here. Therefore to get players, we either have to trade away valuable picks to get affordable contracts, or pay huge salaries in the FA market. Therefore I think we should go lightly into the FA this offseason and try and continue building through the draft. Otherwise in 2 or 3 more seasons, we will be stuck with some HUGE contracts on some players who we could have developed ourselves

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Casserly already said that we would not be active in FA this year. Our big FA this year is David Carr.

3. cap1

cap1 All Pro

I agree with you on this, but the only FAs I believe the Texans should go for are Bentley from NO and Hutchinson from SEA. If they can get one great OLineman that is the only way I would do that. Other than that Keep your money and try to clear out some of these bad contracts.
    :twocents: :twocents:

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

That's excellent news then. The two free agents I have been hearing are Reggie Wayne and LeCharles Bently. Both of these guys are huge names and neither would probably even look our way. If they did, however, we could expect to pay 1.5x as much as any other team. Imagine the contract Wayne or Bentley would require...it would be limiting for us for years

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Rookie

Well I think they have definte holes that they should try and somewhat address in FA. Even if they don't go after any high priced guys, they should go after a new corner. If it's not a top guy like Clements, then they should look at some of the lower guys.

6. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I would be curious to know exactly what went on with the negotiations process behind closed doors. Players' motivations differ (some just want the most moolah, others want a ring, still others want to come on and just be an "impact" player, most will pursue some combination thereof), and I don't claim to know, for instance, Greenwood's.

I would speculate also that Casserly or his contract negotiations staff didn't do their job, in overpaying some of these players as they did.

7. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

According to Mortensen the Colts will F-tag Wayne if they can't re-sign him even if it means letting Edge go. We'll see.

8. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I guess the Colts figure it's easier to replace a good RB rather than receiver.

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

ummmm....wow....that's certainly something to look forward to, 'eh? :um:

I was hoping we'd be in the running for LeCharles Bently, too. A player like that is an instant upgrade to an area that we desperately need some talent. But it doesn't sound like it's going to happen now. No use holding my breath waiting for that move then.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

It's just like recruiting. The coach has got to sell himself, his system, and his team as something that FA wants to be part of. Granted, it's not an easy sell, for the Houston Texans, but I don't want a guy who is here just for the money.

If we can't lure a FA here, for market value, I say good riddance. But I would try, we can use some help.

11. Glacier

Glacier Veteran

how insane would edgerrin james be in a Kubiak running offense?

I wonder how expensive he is going to be?

12. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

It won't matter if the Texans draft Bush.

13. Htown34s

Htown34s Veteran

If we do switch to a 4-3 this year then I can see us going after some average 4-3 DE's to help the transition. I could see us drafting a DE also.

14. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

Wouldn't Edgerrin be the bomb on our squad! Have to ask a board-resident capologist if we are able to afford this big of an acquisition (he will command the big bucks). :)

15. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

well since we're good as far as the cap goes, yeah we could afford him. would it be smart? prolly not, it wouldnt allow us to do much else unless some of our players restructured their contracts

16. dat_boy_yec

dat_boy_yec All Pro

Isn't Mathis from Indi. an FA would it be out of the question to pursue him?

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I need to see more Reggie highlights. So far, all I've seen is that Fresno highlight reel.

It would've been nice, if he & Vince showed up at the Senior Bowl, but I understand their decision not to show.

18. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Even if they wanted to be there, they couldn't since you have to be a SENIOR to play in the SENIOR BOWL...

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Just two FAs IMO. One on each side of the ball:

Clements - CB

Bently - C/OG

Expensive....probably, but would bring expreience and quality to both sides at needed spots.

20. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

One of the things a player wants is to be the reason they win. To win is nice, but to be the reason for the W is even better. If say, Hutchinson were to come, he would get big cash, and if the Texans got good pass protection, he would be credited even if he only has 20 pancakes.