Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans send 12 to NFL Europe

Reddevil63

Veteran
HOUSTON - The Houston Texans announced today that they have allocated the following players to NFL Europe for 2005:

LB Anthony Dunn
G Brandon Evans
T Casey Knutson
RB Adam Matthews
LB David Moretti
WR Nick Narcisse
QB Dave Ragone
LB Antonio Rodriguez
P Cody Scates
K Chris Snyder
WR Allen Suber
SS Eli Ward

NFL Europe training camp begins on March 2 in Tampa, Fla. Opening weekend in Europe begins on April 2.

Good to see Ragone going over to Europe, I think he could use the PT, especially if he supposed to be our back-up QB...Most of the rest of the players are going to struggle to make the team...

im guessing they want to try to develop starling with the team rather than him getting experience in europe? i hope he can step up and contribute next season.

good to see ragone getting some playing time. i think he will be a good backup

I never really liked Dave Ragone! I liked Tony Banks but I heard that he wants to leave for a starting role somewhere else :hmmm: I think we need to get a strong back up and maybe trade Dave Ragone for someone between the ages of 26-28 or so. Someone who can sign a contract for 4 years and be a strong back up quarterback for David! We already have one young quarterback why would we want someone else going in there with less experiance? Well those are my thoughts anyway!

With the departure of Tony Banks we would likely have 3 young QBs. Carr, Ragone, and Symmons. I don't think there's much need in trading Ragone because I'm not sure he has much value right now. Chances are we'll sign a veteran QB in free agency, and he'll get a chance at some snaps in training camp and the preseason. There are lots of viable veteran QBs out there looking for work, and I'm not sure we'd really need to make a trade to get one.

Yeah I think thats exactly what the Texans are doing......give Ragone some PT so he can be our #2 next year. Maybe its even a trading ploy, I know some teams are looking for a starting QB, I doubt if any would be insterested in him this year, but maybe he could make a name for himself in NFL Europe and then a few years teams will say......"Oh yeah what about that Ragone kid in Houston maybe we can trade for him"........

Its funny how all year people have been saying how bad he is, but the guy has a great history in college and even high school. He can play the game, it is just taking a bit of time to develope. He will prove to be a good nfl backup and maybe even some day a starter. He killed everyone when he was at louisville. NFLE will let him show he has some talent.

Ragone going to NFLEurope is an interesting occurance to me. I don't know what the Texans are thinking, but it has generally been borderline players that are sent from all the teams. I don't recall any 2nd stringers ever being sent before, but I could be wrong. It just makes me think that the Texans aren't very confident in Ragones abilities to take over the backup role. For one thing, while Ragone is over in Europe, he won't be available for any of the camps until just prior to pre-season. I don't know, it's just my opinion that Ragone is going to be, at best, the 3rd string QB this coming season. We shall see.

QBs have to get experience somewhere.. and we arent gonna bench Carr to give it to him. Ragone will come back in time to show us what he learned in some preseason games.

And I dont recall anyone really ragging on Ragone. People may not be sold on him yet, but I dont think anyone is calling him a bust.

vtech9 said:
Ragone going to NFLEurope is an interesting occurance to me. I don't know what the Texans are thinking, but it has generally been borderline players that are sent from all the teams. I don't recall any 2nd stringers ever being sent before, but I could be wrong.
The Super Bowl Patriots sent their back up QB. Rohan Davey was a 3rd draft pick just like Ragone and they are on the same kind of development track. The Texans and Patriots both took 3rd quarterbacks to groom when they already had established starters and both of these guys are hoping to be at least as viable as a guy like Billy Volek. There are some who bash Casserly for the Ragone pick but we see teams like NE do the same thing.

texasguy346 said:
With the departure of Tony Banks we would likely have 3 young QBs. Carr, Ragone, and Symmons. I don't think there's much need in trading Ragone because I'm not sure he has much value right now. Chances are we'll sign a veteran QB in free agency, and he'll get a chance at some snaps in training camp and the preseason. There are lots of viable veteran QBs out there looking for work, and I'm not sure we'd really need to make a trade to get one.

We also have the new Preston dude too (can't remember his last name) we just picked up for a QB position too.

:howdy: Some teams have traded backups into 1st or 2nd round picks . A few who come to mind are Rob Johnson , Trent Green , A.J Feeley . If you can develop them and show case them theres a big market .

Honoring Earl 34 said:
:howdy: Some teams have traded backups into 1st or 2nd round picks . A few who come to mind are Rob Johnson , Trent Green , A.J Feeley . If you can develop them and show case them theres a big market .

Rob Johnson was showcased into a first round pick under the direction of offensive coordinator Chris Palmer at Jacksonville when starter Mark Brunell was injured.

Honoring Earl 34 said:
Some teams have traded backups into 1st or 2nd round picks . A few who come to mind are Rob Johnson , Trent Green , A.J Feeley . If you can develop them and show case them theres a big market .

The key here is the last statement. Ragone hasn't shown anything to garner a 1st or 2nd round pick. I could be mistaken, but Trent Green was a starter for the Rams when he got hurt and Warner took over and took the Rams to the SB. Feeley led the Eagles to 4 or 5 wins when both Donovan McNabb and Detmer went down for the Eagles. Most think the Dolphins paid to high of a price for a 3rd string QB so I wouldn't quite say that there's a 'big market' for backup QBs.

ThirdEyeBC32 said:
What team will he play for? I will follow what ever team he plays for! That will help the off season blues for me a little.
Hope its the Barelona Dragons....my mothers side of the family lives there.If he is on the Dragons,maybe I can hook us up with some Dragon caps. :hmmm:

Txnpride said:
Hope its the Barelona Dragons....my mothers side of the family lives there.If he is on the Dragons,maybe I can hook us up with some Dragon caps. :hmmm:
BARCELONA not Barelona....even though I have visited a couple of nude beaches there :banana: :whew

Seems that 15 players who will suit up on Sunday are Europe vets.

15 NFL Europe League veterans in Super Bowl XXXIX

Philadelphia Eagles (7)
LB Keith Adams Berlin 2002
K David Akers Berlin 1999
T Ian Allen Scotland 2002
P Dirk Johnson Rhein 2002
RB Eric McCoo Berlin 2004
FB Josh Parry Frankfurt 2002
LB Nate Wayne Barcelona 1999

New England Patriots (8)
G Joe Andruzzi Scotland 1998
QB Rohan Davey Berlin 2004
QB Jim Miller Frankfurt 1995
CB Earthwind Moreland Rhein 2002 & 2004
T Lance Nimmo Cologne 2004
DT Buck Rasmussen Frankfurt / Amsterdam 2004
DT Keith Traylor Barcelona 1995
K Adam Vinatieri Amsterdam 1996
3 starters & both kickers. Should give Mr. Ragone a little hope. Read somewhere that the NFL Europe allocation draft is set for 2/11. Wonder if Dave will be the #1 pick? :)

hey txnpride...sorry to burst your bubble but the barcelona dragons are no longer part of NFLEurope. the players will go to a training camp down in tampa bay and then will be dispursed between the teams.

Trent Green I believe started with the Redskins . He then was traded to the Rams then to the Chiefs. Every team at one time or another is looking for a QB. Thats why Brad Johnson who was Casey Weldons back up at FSU can play with so many teams.

Txnpride said:
BARCELONA not Barelona....even though I have visited a couple of nude beaches there :banana: :whew
After a little research,it seems the Barcelona Dragons are now the Hamburg Sea Devils....WOW....I feel as if my Oilers were shipped off all over again LOL I think I am going to be sick:heh:

2-DUNTA-3 said:
hey txnpride...sorry to burst your bubble but the barcelona dragons are no longer part of NFLEurope. the players will go to a training camp down in tampa bay and then will be dispursed between the teams.
Thanks for the heads up.I didnt realize that the Dragons were no more until I tried looking for some caps this morning :shocked

FILO_girl said:
We also have the new Preston dude too (can't remember his last name) we just picked up for a QB position too.

Preston Parsons is not really a rookie. He played for the Arizona Cardinals for about 3 years, but I don't think he ever got any playing time except for preseason. He was cut in 03 or 04, but I think he looks like a solid QB and could replace B.J. Symons if given a chance.

ya i watched NFL europe last season when it came on the NFL network, and i dont know why but its not very fun to watch for me, plus there dont look to be to many fans over there !

Great to see Antonio Rodrigez going. I sure hope they are trying to make him fit and not using him for spanish day.

TexansTrueFan said:
ya i watched NFL europe last season when it came on the NFL network, and i dont know why but its not very fun to watch for me, plus there dont look to be to many fans over there !

I feel the same...Mainly because there wasn't much of a reason to watch...Now, since Ragone is going, I'm gonna watch to see how he fares...If he doesn't light the league up, then we may be looking for a new back-up QB...

:howdy: An Unquestioned Defensive Leader: Senior Safety Eli Ward

October 16, 2003 - Eli Ward is a captain and member of Minnesota’s dominating and constantly improving defense. With the guidance of two of the greatest defensive backs in school history and a desire to improve, Ward has become one of the nation’s finest safeties.

He had a break-through season in 2002 after suffering a season-ending knee injury against Michigan during his sophomore season. Ward battled back and knew not to take his opportunity to play for the Maroon and Gold for granted. He reflected on his football career as a Golden Gopher, expressing gratitude and respect for his teammates and coaching staff. Ward is the type of student-athlete that will finish his career at Minnesota as someone who has learned and grown from his experiences on and off the football field.

Back