Texans secondary - ranked 32nd

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 2slik4u, Jul 19, 2010.

1. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aqkslj7jj3KR3FNTR1ZkK8FDubYF?slug=jc-dbrankings071810

Just the opinion of one Yahoo! sports writer but I thought it was worth noting.

On another note, our O-line is ranked 6th in the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aih1MkSl3LokWB1v0TyqTVXsYNAF?slug=jc-olinerankings061810

And 13th ranked LB crew??? Not sure about this one but here you go. They also rank the rest of the crews. RB's, WR's, etc, etc.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai4R_T1KqHJ1NifOJYV6fWzsYNAF?slug=jc-lbrankings071210

buddyboy likes this.
  2. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Ouch!!

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The thought of a rookie (Jackson) playing his 3 games against Manning,McNabb and Romo. And two 2nd year guys (Quin and McCain) scares the heck out of me.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Didn't read the article but the LB corps should be ranked in the top 5-10. Atleast that's what my eyes told me last year.

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Sounds fair till proved otherwise.

5. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

With the league becoming more and more of a passing league, this is scary!

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree for the most part, but 32nd? These rankings are a joke overall, IMO. He basically has the Ravens ranked at 5 due to Ed Reed alone. I mean, he's an awesome player, but he's beat up and aging. The CB position is the biggest concern on the Ravens defense.

Meh, I definitely understand why our secondary should be ranked so low, but these rankings are a bit off-base if you ask me

7. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

I don't feel this way because I've seen Jackson hold his own in the SEC and GQ didn't look bad last year especially in the Patriots game. I would be worried if we had to go with McCain/Bennett/Reeves. I think the Safeties can pick up the slack. We have a worst secondary than the NYG, Minnesota,Jags, and especially Seattle..LMAO. Pay no attention to this rating because it is probably some Eastern Sportwriters being polled. All young DBs have to do is go out there and make them take it back.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yup - anyone who ranks the Ravens secondary as top 5 is a joke.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

He also basically listed the Raiders in the top ten because of their one great CB JMO.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Yep! Fortunately, this is the NFL and not the fiasco: college football! In the NFL, the media can rank a team as high or low as they want and it will mean absolutely nothing once the games are played. Ain't that refreshing!?!

11. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

I'm definately concerned about the secondary. The lack of veteran leadership is going to haunt us this season, just my opinion though. I think we may be OK if we can get some pressure on the QBs and force the throws. If we don't do that, we're screwed. I know that's the same for every team, but I think it's more true for us due to the experience we have at the positions. I think Pollard is fine, other than that, I'm pretty worried. I would have liked to have seen us bring in someone else this offseason, with a couple of seasons under their belt, that can hit the ground running when the season starts and be a mentor to our young core. Who knows, we may shine in that area this season, I hope I'm wrong.

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

You just never can tell.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think when it comes to Quin, we basically have another Dunta with a bit better coverage skills. He's not afraid to run support. Kareem is going to have to play Manning anyways, appearantly everyone sees how good he is now though. If he doesn't do well, Reeves is more than capable to shore it up.

Hopefully, and to me this is the bigger question, we can get pressure with our front four, even front seven. If we can do that, the secondary will be very good.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

More BS, but whatever, it's that time of the year when everyone has to rank everything because there's nothing else to talk about. LOL

15. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The LB ranking must be taking into account Cushing missing the first 4 games of the regular season.

Secondary ranking seems a bit harsh... there's gotta be someone worse than us!!!

16. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I don't think anybody who watched Pollard play last year would describe him as a "league-average player".

BIG TORO likes this.
  17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

That's the deal. Most of the people writing these types of articles have never watched the games other than a few highlights here and there and checking stat sheets.

Hell, lots of people this off season are calling Dunta a pro bowl caliber shutdown corner. :lol:

18. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

The writer of this article Jason Cole is a sportswriter, not a scout. Lets not get our medical advice from a school nurse.

BIG TORO likes this.
  19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I'm interested to see what our secondary looked like after Pollard took over.

20. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Rookie

Well the secondary definitely didn't prove anything last year, only bright side I saw was from Quin. Secondary will be better this year of course.