Texans Schemes?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by RT22, Mar 26, 2019.

1. RT22

RT22 Veteran

Trying to identify what do the Texans primarily run on the backend of the defense ie (cover one, cover 3) and what do they run on the OL ie (zone run, power). Just really would like to understand this as we continue in FA and up to the draft. Thanks in advance

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

There goes another can of worms

PapaL, KA4Texan, mussop and 5 others like this.
  3. banned1976

banned1976 American

Odds are that this thread becomes another BoB hate thread?

4. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Well we did need a new one now that the fire BoB thread has kind of died down.

5. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Great job fellas. Another thread derailed.

Moderators please shut it down.

6. H_Town_Gaucho

H_Town_Gaucho Rookie

I hope they try RB up the middle on first downs this year...

PapaL, banned1976 and amazing80 like this.
  7. Max

Max All Pro

They block mostly outside zone in the RPO sets but also block power and inside zone at different times. I think personnel wise, they're going to look for zone blockers as this is what they brought in last year and it makes more sense (at least to me) that you're going to have more success having a zone blocker block a power scheme the few times we do it, than you would having a power blocker block a zone scheme (which we do more frequently). The secondary is anyone's guess for what we'll be looking for. In 2017, we played man coverage 4th most in the league (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-man-v-zone-which-nfl-team-ran-each-the-most-in-2017) and in 2018 we were in the bottom third of teams that played man coverage (https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/28/patriots-rank-no-1-in-man-defense-percentage/). I was surprised to see that we played that much man in 2017 because I've always felt that RAC has favored a softer zone to keep the play in front of the db's and not give up the big play. But I think it can be explained by RAC being more apt to adopt the coverage to the talent he has. The thing that seems to stay consistent is how he likes to move people around pre-snap to disguise coverage. I'm really hoping that we're looking for db's that will enable us to get back to playing more man and specifically more physical cb's that can play press coverage well. We'll see what they're thinking soon enough.

PapaL, mussop, 76Texan and 5 others like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I thought it would turn into a hate RAC thread.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

2017 they had to play mostly man because Vrabel was (unsuccessfully) blitzing so much... they didn't have the personnel to be good at it

steelbtexan and Max like this.
  10. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

They had an offensive line setup for zbs, but the coach dismantled it.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

[​IMG]

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Meyers retired, Jones wasn't special, Newton got injured, Brooks was lazy (according to the Texas medical staff), Brown got into a nonsensical debate with the owner and Wade Smith was done

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah pretty much... Texans have been apprentices for 16 (going on 17 years now. Sure wish they would take and pass that final test

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Quoted for truth

Mangler and PapaL like this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Gotta change the way they do business to accomplish this.

16. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

This is old, but gives good insight into the Texans 3-4 scheme and Crennel's preference for big LBs and DLinemen.

McKinney: 6'4", 260 lbs
    Cunningham: 6'3", 235 lbs
    Blackson:6'4", 318 lbs
    Reader: 6'3", 335 lbs

Houston Texans: Insights into the Defense of Romeo Crennel
    JEFFERY ROYFEBRUARY 14, 2014

Crennel runs an old-school version of the 3-4, where a lineman attacks the man in front of him instead of shooting the gap in between. The goal is to draw one or more double-teams so that the linebackers don’t have to tangle with offensive linemen in order to make plays.

This is the essence of the two-gap approach, and it requires the D-linemen to hold the block, read the play and then react. It also places a premium on plus-sized players in the trenches who can demand that kind of attention.

The prototypes were former Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour (6’5”, 310 lbs) and nose tackle Ted Washington (6’5”, 375 lbs). No one appreciated the benefits of having these goliaths up front more than fellow Patriot and inside linebacker Ted Johnson, the evening host on Sports Radio 610 in Houston.

In a conversation with Johnson, he said this preference even extends to the second level. “Crennel likes an ‘old school’ 3-4: big middle linebackers and big outside linebackers who can jam receivers and drop into pass coverage.”

(more at the link, but outdated) https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ns-insights-into-the-defense-of-romeo-crennel

17. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Someone PM me when O'Brien finds one...a scheme, that is.

DocBar, PapaL, mussop and 7 others like this.
  18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Nah, I tend to agree with LeeB here.
    Myers only retired because the Texans chose not to pick up his contract, and he didn't want to start anew.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...yers-released-after-eight-seasons-with-texans

Last time I read, Jones is ranked #12 by PFF while the Texans still can't find a feasible replacement.

The Texans simply didn't want to pay either BB or DB.

The failure to maintain/develop a functional Oline rests with O'Brien period.

19. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Even with the loss of Bouye, RC tried to stay with man coverage in 2017, with poor results.
    The Texans were dead last in points allowed.

It's no surprise that they went with more zone coverage in 2018, especially when they played KJax at safety at the beginning of the year.
    They just don't have the personnel to play man.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  20. Max

Max All Pro

JB was right about playing more man in 2017 because of the blitz. We were sending BMc up the gut quite a bit that year to generate interior pressure. Last year they had JD play that role and dropped BMc into coverage more. Adding a player that can generate interior pressure is going to help guys stay at their more natural positions. I agree with you about the personelle to play man. I don't think it's unreasonable that a few more guys can still be added to the team this offseason that can make this defense really fun to watch next year.

mussop, 76Texan and OptimisticTexan like this.