Texans Salary Cap Thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by redwhiteblue, Feb 22, 2012.

1. redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue Veteran

I understand a lot of information out there is not accurate, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wanted to try and get a better understanding of where the Texans stand this summer for myself. I am going off the $123,000,000 cap for 2012. The Texans have 44 players under contract for a total of $101,419,000 leaving $21,581,000 and have 9 spots to fill on their roster.

That leaves free agents of Williams, Foster, Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen, Demps, Barber, Studdard, Rackers, Ward, Allen.

I am going to assume the Texans sign 4 of their draft picks which would cost $4,200,000, which brings the number down to $17,381,000 and 5 spots left on the roster.

If the Texans cut Jacoby Jones, Matt Leinart, Garrett Graham, that will bring the number back up to $24,702,000, and have 8 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Chris Myers at $4,500,000, comparible to Ryan Kalil, bring their remaining money to $20,202,000, and have 7 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Mike Brisiel at $2,000,000, comparible to Wade Smith, bring their remaining money to $18,202,000, and have 4 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Neil Rackers at $1,500,000, bring their remaining money to $16,702,000 and have 3 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Quintin Demps at $585,000, bring their remaining money to $16,117,000 and have 2 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Arian Foster at $8,200,000, comparible to Maurice Jones Drew, bring their remaining money to $7,917,000 and have 1 spot left on roster.

With restructuring contracts for Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Johnathan Joseph, Kevin Walter and/or cutting additional players, the Texans could bring their remaining money up to try and clear $12,000,000 for Mario or for an additional free agent OLB or WR.

2. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

How did you sign 2 people but account for 4? The problem with OD and Ryans is they are too expensive to cut and too soon to restructure. Our biggest issue is our draft picks are starting to pan out and their contracts are expiring and we continue to sign contracts with ballooning salaries. I dont see how you sign our top free agents and quality depth signings and then dish out 10+ million for Mario.

3. redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue Veteran

While I agree the texans need to plan for their future free agents, I don't think they can pass on doing everything the can for Mario and foster and their O Line right now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Anything can happen between now and then

2slik4u likes this.
  4. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

Not sure if this accurate or not but this is an extremely well thought out post for a newbie. Good post. Rep.

5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

where are you getting your figures?

not trying to be an ass but i just want to see how accurate that is. I presume those are salary figures you used? what about prorated bonuses etc from restructured contracts from previous yrs etc?

i dont think any fan can come up with an accurate cap figure when we dont have info like that available to us

6. Mike77015

Mike77015 Rookie

Only fault I see is that you lost two player signings after 7 spots remained.

7. redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue Veteran

Yeah I tried to explain in the intro that these numbers could be way off. The site had two different numbers listed, the salary and the cap hit that includes bonuses. I used the cap hit number and like you said us outside the organization will never know the true numbers, but I was just trying to crunch some numbers and do a fun experiment to help pass the time while we wait for all the texans off season moves to start. I would like to keep Mario and foster and Myers and brisiel and was just trying to see if that was even close to a reality

8. redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue Veteran

Code:

Yeah I messed that up, my mistake.

9. redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue Veteran

Thanks

10. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

well if it is fairly accurate, i dont see how we dont sign everybody we want back (although tbh ive thought we would resign mario, arian and myers all along and this salary cap pressure we're supposedly under is overhyped filler 'news')

11. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Remember we need a few million for rookies also.

12. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

He didn't. He got the extra money back from cutting some people.

13. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

Texans can re-sign Neil Rackers at $1,500,000, bring their remaining money to $16,702,000 and have 3 spots left on roster.

No thanks, we need to go after a new kicker.

KA4Texan likes this.
  14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Now this is a "Let's play GM" post even I can follow. I don't know how accurate the salary numbers are but they don't look too off-base to me.
    This looks much more logical than repeatedly yelling "We can't afford everyone!!" I like this since it shows, definitively, why we're close to the edge.

+1

15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Yep, most definitive outline of the very murky cap conundrum. Rep.

16. amazing80

So assuming my numbers, you have 5 million left with 3 roster spots left. You need to replace J Jones, Leinart, and Graham, and even if you draft to replace them, you have 3 wholes on your team. So for 5 million and 3 roster spots, you will NOT be able to sign Mario.....

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

they aren't restructuring Joseph's contract 1 year in.

18. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I'm pretty sure we get additional funds to sign Draft Picks.

Also are you accounting for the dead money in the contracts of th cut players. They don't count straight against the cap, some money stays on the book as dead cap money.

19. amazing80

Yes and no. There is a rookie salary within the team salary, but if the rookie is within the top 51 paid players on their team then the salary and bonuses count towards the whole salary cap. If they are NOT the top 51 paid players on the team than ONLY their bonuses count against the cap.

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/04/rookie-pool-and-salary-cap.html

20. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

A for effort OP, plenty around here have done the same and come up with about the same numbers given public information. However, the question has been somewhat resolved by John Clayton, who claims we have 3.3 million here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7570116/nfl-plenty-cap-room-improve

We simply don't know enough about the details of the Texans' contracts to pinpoint their cap numbers. We know reports of players restructuring deals last year pushed money into 2012 and beyond, but nobody outside the Texans FO knows how much got moved. We also don't know exactly what dead money they owe this year, or exactly how much each contract escalates. It's all guesswork with rotoword, spottrac or whatever you're using. In any case, it looks like Rick has a lot of work to do.