Texans-Saints Preview

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans_Chick, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

So as not to continue the Carr junk up the MB rehash threads, I thought of starting a Texans-New Orleans preview thread.

Here's my preview--I asked the Saints writer to assist this week:

Saints at Texans: Insert 'Reggie Versus Mario' Storyline Here

Lots of information in it that might make you watching experience this Sunday more interesting.

And I must add.....

BEAT THE SAINTS!!!!!!!:texflag:

2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Good one. LOL.

3. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

We are 3 games out of the division lead.2 games for the Wild Card so we are basically still in contention for a Wild Card birth.:) :fans:

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

But not in this guy's discussion of things (the link I had in my original post):

AFC South Now Wide Open

5. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

It's all a question of running the score up, and Special Teams will be a part of that. If JJ or Mathis or whoever is doing returns can get a TD, it will be a big bonus for the Texans, who thrive off this kind of big play.

I would like to add that I feel better about the game knowing the Saints also have problems with their defensive secondary.

6. jlam

jlam Veteran

It's a good point on the special teams "x-factor". Our return games have been decent, with Lance Moore handling the punt return duties for the most part and Pierre Thomas returning kickoffs. They've each had some big returns, but neither are what I would consider Mathis/Jones type homerun threats.

Where I think you guys really have the biggest advantage in special teams is your kicker. Olindo Mare has been all but an unmitigated disaster as our kicker this year, and while he has a big leg, it doesn't do much good if you can't control where the damn thing goes. I'd take Kris Brown over Mare 101 times out of 100.

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I can garuntee you that Jerome Mathis will not score a TD off of a kick return in this game.

I think that this game will just be a question of which of 4 teams will show up. Both the Saints and the Texans have a Jekyll and Hyde show going on. If Drew Brees from week 2 shows up, the Texans should easily win this. If the non-pass-protecting Texans show up, forget it, the Saints are going to blow the house away.

The Saints do play fairly well on the road, which makes me cringe.

8. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

I would like to see the Schaub to Johnson for some td's, but I hope he doesn't zero in on just Dre. OD is due for a TD and he should be able to get over the Saints LB's.

9. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

Maybe we'll see a battle between TEs. Old Texan vs new Texan!!!:)

I detest the Saints, but, Billy Miller will always remain dear to my heart!!

10. Texans Horror

Is Mathis out? Admittedly, I have dropped the ball on keeping up with the Texans over the past few weeks. Just busy schedule, but I think this might be one of the most fun games all season.

11. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Mathis has been on IR since the Atlanta game. He injured himself in the Colts game with some kind of stress fracture in his leg I think.

12. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

Mathis missed a couple games after the Indy game and was then placed on IR. Our return game has been anything but spectacular since.

13. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

yep,

nice ava.

14. Texans Horror

I knew he was injured. No idea he was IRed. I'd say it sucks, but he hasn't been active in so long...offseason trade bait?

15. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

37-34 Texans

16. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I think we'll lose 31-19. We'll move the ball up and down the field almost at will, and we'll stall in the red zone. We'll get a long(ish) TD from AJ and 4 FGs. Meanwhile, our defense will make Brees look like the second coming of Ryan Fitzpatrick, thus allowing 400 yards and 4 TDs. Bush will score on a screen, Colston will score on Faggins, Henderson will score on Faggins, and the hot dog guy will score on Faggins.

Sorry, I tried to think of a scenario that has us winning, but even with a poor Saints D, I just keep having flashbacks of our red zone offense, even when AJ was active. I do think Kubiak will single out Mario for having an exceptional game, though.

:gun:

17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Great line TC, A+ as always.

That's the one that scares this fan. Twenty one games and counting on the Salaam line.

18. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

What is telling for me is that there hasn't been very nuch news as to the progress of the wounded bone. Use to say if the coaches were screaming at you that was good news. Ment they still had faith in you and cared. But when they stop talking about you....

Let's see a premere WR cost the Pats a four. So I guess this question posed is what would a KR bring you with a wounded wheel ? A cup of coffee ?

19. jlam

jlam Veteran

Yeah, I'd actually go as far as to say that that quote may be exaggerated a bit. Grant and Smith had been playing better as of late (up until last week) but I think a lot of that had to do with the style of defense we were playing during our 4 game winning streak. Gibbs (D coord) had us go back to a more aggressive style of defense bringing a lot of blitz packages and a playing tight man coverage on the corners. The extra rushers, or even the threat of them, really seemed to help the Dline get the upper hand on the opposing Oline and force more pressure.

Unfortunately, we abandoned that strategy entirely last week and sat back in soft zones against a decimated offensive line and let Bulger, Holt, and Bruce pick us apart. :gun:

Also, although Charles Grant is slated to play this Sunday, I really doubt he's 100% and I think there's a good chance you'll see him hobbling around a lot and an even better chance that he'll be replaced by Josh Cooper on obvious passind downs. Not that that's bad thing as Cooper has done a pretty decent job getting pressure when he's been in the games for a relative nobody.

20. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

I have us as the team scoring the most points in the NFL this weekend.

And before you scream "NEW ENGLAND"...consider that they are playing Buffalo. At night. In Buffalo. BUFF is tuff at home.

So, Texans win. And score a bejeezus amount of points in the process.