Texans running game near franchise worst

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...e-near-franchise-worst?cid=channel-rss-Sports

2. mariowillshine15

mariowillshine15 Hall of Fame

We can call this year's running game "The Curse of Chris Brown."

3. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

More like the "curse of a sucky O-line." Oline has been dominated in the running game this year. And it has all started with the guy in the middle.

4. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

i blame both our Rb's and our injuries in our Interior O line

Chester and Brisles injuries really hurted us

5. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

the whole thing is a mess, what a difference a year makes.

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Weren't you originally cheering the injury to Chester?

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

If we don't draft a good RB high up next year, this board will explode. And me with it.

8. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

What would you consider high? 3rd round? 2nd?

I dont see us taking a RB til the 3rd round. Maybe, just maybe, the 2nd.

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The running games problem is two fold, the O line and the RB talent. Both need fixed. right now we don't have squat for RBs except for Slaton, so even without a good O line, we still need to draft a RB high. To answer your question, unless a franchise RB falls to us in the 1st round, I'd say 2nd or 3rd. Slaton was a 3rd round pick, and he is pretty darn good.

10. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

The whole "draft a running back in the 1st or 2nd round" crowd should have some patience with their demands because this isn't a particularly strong running back draft class. Why go into a draft determined to reach? There's some good prospects in this class but not compared to other positions. With the depth the Texans have now across the board it would behoove them most to draft the best player available especially in a draft with this rich pool of talent. If an RB is that player when its their turn to draft do it but thats just not the way the landscape of this draft is looking.

Believe me I want a dominant starting running back on this team as much as anyone but I don't think it should cloud our evaluation process. Why reach on an RB early on and end up passing on a future pro bowler? Haven't we seen this organization do this before and it burned them (see Okoye, Patrick Willis)? I'd rather try our hand in free agency by signing a veteran runner to a low risk deal, gut it out with Slaton as the starter another year and see if with o-line improvements he becomes the back he was his rookie season.

11. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

This. I wasnt around on this board last around draft time but I know on the HT.com boards, some were calling to draft Beanie Wells at 15.

I dont want to derail this thread but what are y'alls thoughts on CJ Spiller? Or is he similar to Steve Slaton and what he offers? I dont know enough about to say yes he'll be good or wont be good or yes he'll fit or no he wont fit, etc.

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

From what I've gathered from reading all the draft stuff out, he's looked at as a 12-15 carry back and full-time kick/punt returner. A change of pace guy but not projected as a 20-25 carry full-time bruiser. His special teams prowess negates his projections as just a back-up and his small frame (5-10, 197). He has elite burst/suddenness/speed and is a willing special teamer.

Could he be Chris Johnson? The ceiling probably isn't that high but they have similar frames/running style. Could he be just a Jerious Norwood/Reggie Bush/whatever smallish part-time running back/returner? Yes to that too. He'll be a first round pick though for sure, 15-25ish range.

Is there a fit here for the Texans? IMO, I don't see it, I don't think he'd fully satisfy our need for a full-time starting back. While he and Slaton would be explosive as a tandem I don't think their running styles are complimentary. Both elude tacklers and thats a nice way of saying they don't break tackles. Protection is also a big part and I know Spiller does not excel in this area as do most rookie running backs.

J_R likes this.
  13. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I'm interested to see how this will unfold if Gibbs retires . When the master can't get it done ... it's not gettin done .

14. euro-Texan

euro-Texan All Pro

and the sky is blue. great thread.

ATXtexanfan likes this.