texans resign fred weary

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by keyfro, Feb 16, 2006.

1. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

as listed on the homepage...any thoughts?

2. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

He's a pretty athletic lineman I think, maybe he'll have a place in Kubiak's scheme. I hope so. He played C in college so maybe he'll get a shot there if he can't cut it as a starting G.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I thought Weary played well when he was in late in the year. He has a great attitude, is very flexible for a big man and may be a good fit in this offense since we are going to actually run the o-line LIKE IT WAS DESIGNED. *ahem*. Anyway...he has had poor handwork in the past but he's smart enough to take to better coaching. I'd like to see him get reps at Center and Guard both.

4. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

i aslo thought weary played much better this season than in the past...even better than the preseason game he played before the season kicked off...and with his weight around 306lbs i believe he is one of the closest lineman we have to the weight kubiak is used to...still needs to drop about 8-10lbs but still how good would it be for casserly if kubiak was able to turn his 3rd pick a few years ago into a regular starter...something that capers wasn't able to do

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

glad we signed him again. Ive never been impressed with our Oline depth...but I wanna see what our new staff can do with them.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

I had heard that the new coaching staff liked Weary, which certainly contrasts to what Pendry and Company thought. That is why I asked MorKnolle why he put Weary ahead of Brown on this thread in post #69:

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zone/messageboards/showthread.php?p=276589#post276589

I didn't want to post it last week because I didn't want to say the source and people are getting testy about that lately.

I thought Brown had looked decent when he played. How does anyone think Weary and Brown compare?

I'm glad we are starting to get a trickle of hints to what the coaches are thinking. It is something to really discuss. I bet we get a few more contracts done in short order.

7. Like I said before, everyone should get a clean slate no matter what you thought of the player before. Carr gets one, no reason Weary should either, and everyone knows that I fired off on Weary for several years now.

8. Runner

Do you have any theories to why he never saw much action before?

9. Runner

Yeah - Fred took a lot beatings on the board in the past. I don't recall him ever getting much playing time before the end of the past season. We really may get a chance to answer the talent vs. coaching issue next year.

10. Vinny

poor handwork/leverage. he got beat with simple quickness techniques over and over. He has the body and the measurables.

11. Runner

Good. Coachable stuff.

12. Vinny

Hopefully he is our still young but now veteran, versatile G/C combo back up in a blocking scheme that will be more about finesse and being an athlete than it is about plowing people or just trying to mash everybody with big lumbering guys.

13. Runner

Hopefully at a good price. I'm kind of surprised one of our UFAs signed so soon though.

14. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

I agree. I think Weary could amount to something with some good coaching and a chance.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I for one am gonna very interested to see what the new coaching staff thinks
    of Seth Wand, because I think a lot is unknown about his rapid ascent to the
    starter at the top OL position, and just as rapidly falling out of favor with
    the previous regime. I'm thinking he's a RFA this offseason, so we'll see if he gets any interest from other teams and what becomes of him under the new regime.

16. samomin

samomin Veteran

I remember watching the fitness corner with Dan Riley a years or so ago on this website. Dan was working out Moran Norris and Fred Weary and Weary was huffing and puffing through his reps. The guy didn't seem strong enough compared to Norris. Now this is based on only one video, but I hope he has come a long way since then in his work ethic.

17. CajunTexan

CajunTexan Veteran

Where is a moderator when you need one?

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

We tend to only delete direct insults and name-calling and try to let people define themselves with their behavior. The above post would be a good example of letting Honeymoon define himself.

19. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Weary was resigned to build depth and eventually replace Weigart at right gaurd.

The lineup will look like this next year:

Pitts - McKinney - Eslinger (Draft) - Weigart - Wand

The Texans are likely to draft a LT prospect with the second round pick (likely Colledge - who could see action). However, I envision them gritting their teeth an living with McKinney's contract for one more year w/ Colledge ridng the bench. Eventually, Colledge will be moved to tackle and Pitts will either switch to RT or move in at LG. If all goes as planned, Weary will replace Weigart in 1-3 years.

Eslinger will likely be available in the 3rd or 4th round. He is an undersized center (290lbs), who played in a very good zone blocking scheme at Minnesota. He is an ideal center candidat that, while not nearly at the level of a FA like LeCharles Bentley, will become a very good Tom Nalen-esque player.

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

and i have to believe that weary is more of a center than a guard mold of lineman...i would like to see him and hodgdon going into training camp competiting for the starting center job along with mckinney and one of them win it out right...not by a slight decision but out right