Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans reach out to Lovie Smith

I don't think anyone not in the Texans front office or the league office can really know what the cap situation is. Anyone can speculate, don't make them right

As of today, right now, the Texans are approx. $8 million under the 2014 51 Top salaries, Salary Cap. Currently they have 46 players under contract for 2014. However the reality of the situation is really have closer to 12-15 contracts they will need to add to the 2014 roster. Every team needs to allocate approx $5 million of their cap for IR, LTBE and Practice Squad. That would leave the Texans with approx. $3 million to sign those 12-15 new contracts. Like in years past the Texans will have to resort again to restructuring (mortgaging) $5-$10 million in player contracts to become compliant with the start of the season 53 man roster salary cap.

Is this subject to change, you bet it is and very likely will BUT at some point the Texans are going to have to take their medicine in order for their salary cap to get any better. In other words they're probably going to have to get worse before they can get better.

I'm not sold on Cutler, but Lovie and Kyle Shanahan would be nice.

Cutler is the best FA quarterback out there. Josh Freeman may be worth a look as well, but Lovie & Shanahan have ties to Cutler.

But getting Cutler or Freeman will "answer" the QB question, maybe leave a window open for Case (if we can sign either to a one or 2 year deal) & allow us to invest our first pick in BPA & not "QB because we need a QB"

As of today, right now, the Texans are approx. $8 million under the 2014 51 Top salaries, Salary Cap. Currently they have 46 players under contract for 2014. However the reality of the situation is really have closer to 12-15 contracts they will need to add to the 2014 roster. Every team needs to allocate approx $5 million of their cap for IR, LTBE and Practice Squad. That would leave the Texans with approx. $3 million to sign those 12-15 new contracts. Like in years past the Texans will have to resort again to restructuring (mortgaging) $5-$10 million in player contracts to become compliant with the start of the season 53 man roster salary cap.

Is this subject to change, you bet it is and very likely will BUT at some point the Texans are going to have to take their medicine in order for their salary cap to get any better. In other words they're probably going to have to get worse before they can get better.

As of today don't matter now does it?

Here is what AD Brandt had to say, Brandt is a lawyer and has worked in NFL front office negotiating contracts and managing salary cap. He knows,

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt 2h

It's not good. RT @LegendKiller613 How bad is the #Texans cap situation?

maybe you should study up on the salary cap so you can be better informed.....just a thought.

Im in the middle of my off-season plan and without going into crazy details yet we have just over 9 million in cap space with guys coming off the books. You cut schaub and OD, brice mccain, jon weeks and cody white, extend Daniel manning and you have over 21 million in cap space. Re-sign antonio smith and grab a RT in free agency, POSSIBLY get a corner and fill in the holes via draft and cheaper free agents. I would also consider getting a lb in free agency.

Bottom line is 21 million is PLENTY of cap space to maneuver around. thats not even including considering to release or extend jjo, and extending aj. The bottom line is, you have tons of options to gain significant cap space without hurting the team.

Cutler is the best FA quarterback out there. Josh Freeman may be worth a look as well, but Lovie & Shanahan have ties to Cutler.

But getting Cutler or Freeman will "answer" the QB question, maybe leave a window open for Case (if we can sign either to a one or 2 year deal) & allow us to invest our first pick in BPA & not "QB because we need a QB"

Unless McNair is blowing smoke, saying that he would interview Wade for the HC implies he at least plans on trying to keep him as a DC..........Lovie Smith ran a 4-3.

Depends on how you view Cutler and Vick. Cutler isn't as good as pre-injury Schaub. Freeman shouldn't even be in the discussion.

The Texans could legitimately take a shot at upgrading QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Unless McNair is blowing smoke, saying that he would interview Wade for the HC implies he at least plans on trying to keep him as a DC..........Lovie Smith ran a 4-3.

Can't agree there. Coordinators are often interviewed for HC and then not retained if they don't get the HC job.

I dont see any scenario where we hire a new head coach and keep Wade.....especially because of all the talk of rotating d linemen.....seems to be Wade is just as gone as Gary, but we need him to finish the season for us.

Depends on how you view Cutler and Vick. Cutler isn't as good as pre-injury Schaub. Freeman shouldn't even be in the discussion.

The Texans could legitimately take a shot at upgrading QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Can't agree there. Coordinators are often interviewed for HC and then not retained if they don't get the HC job.

Cutler has a way better arm then Schaub has ever had. His personality and his arrogance is another story though. When Cutler is at his best, he's a lot better then Schaub, but you've always had a special appreciation for Schaub so I know you'll never agree. Cutler's main issues in Chicago have been his injury problems. When he has been healthy, he has been pretty damn good over there. I think Cutler's best days are behind him though.

Bottom line is 21 million is PLENTY of cap space to maneuver around. thats not even including considering to release or extend jjo, and extending aj. The bottom line is, you have tons of options to gain significant cap space without hurting the team.

No no no. Unless we have at least $40 million in cap space every year then our GM is putting us in cap hell.

:sarcasm:

Wouldn't it be interesting to get Lovie & Kyle Shanahan & Cutler?

Not a Cutler fan personally, but Lovie and Kyle sounds like an excellent combination. Thought Kyle did the best job of calling games in the Kubiak era.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Cutler has a way better arm then Schaub has ever had. His personality and his arrogance is another story though. When Cutler is at his best, he's a lot better then Schaub, but you've always had a special appreciation for Schaub so I know you'll never agree. Cutler's main issues in Chicago have been his injury problems. When he has been healthy, he has been pretty damn good over there. I think Cutler's best days are behind him though.

I don't care if he can throw it into the Astrodome out of Reliant on his knees. If he can't connect to his receivers and avoid interceptions it doesn't matter. Maybe we can argue about who had the singular best game but these are not spring chickens and Schaub wins hands down. Cutler has never had a season where he broke a 90 rating - none. Cutler's theoretical arm made no real world difference. He has 100 more passing attempts and less 20+ and 40+ yd receptions. Cutler's career INT % is .1 different than Schaub's THIS YEAR. He isn't as good as pre-injury Schaub.

Can you imagine Cutler with a 2010-2011-esque Texans line?

yeah, and it wouldn't have been much better than Schaub, if at all. Remember, at that time most considered Schaub to be borderline elite.

yeah, and it wouldn't have been much better than Schaub, if at all. Remember, at that time most considered Schaub to be borderline elite.

a 2:1 td:int ratio is not elite, only homer texan fans like Dale and thunder considered Schaub ELITE.....borderline top 10 is the best hes ever been

a 2:1 td:int ratio is not elite, only homer texan fans like Dale and thunder considered Schaub ELITE.....borderline top 10 is the best hes ever been

well, I'm old and most likely senile, but I seem to recall the talking heads at nflnetwork and espn putting him in the mix of top 5 and no worse than 7th. The elite tag was tossed around and not just on this board

well, I'm old and most likely senile, but I seem to recall the talking heads at nflnetwork and espn putting him in the mix of top 5 and no worse than 7th. The elite tag was tossed around and not just on this board

He was definitely in the top 10 discussions.

Gruden just called him a one time almost elite QB this week. Your memory is fine.

Why all the love for Sumlin? The guy is the college level Gruden, taking over a built up roster from Briles and then just putting it on cruise control. Everything he learned he learned from Briles, I'd rather just go for the tree than a fruit off of it.

I like sumlin but I definately like the idea of briles.

As far as lovie goes he's not terrible by any means but he doesn't excite me at all.

two questions i will be asking every potential head coach:

1. Can you run a no huddle offense anytime? Not just last two minutes with little to no timeouts. Can you run it in the beginning and middle of games?

That is a sign of a advanced, cerebral, intelligent coach.

2. What kind of audible system do you have? Do you have a free and QB friendly audible system?

These two things are a must for me.

Last edited:

1. Can you run a no huddle a no huddle offense anytime? Not just last two minutes with little to no timeouts. Can you run it in the beginning and middle of games?

2. What kind of audible system do you have? Do you have a free and QB friendly audible system?

Post it in one more thread so people can see what you think

1. Can you run a no huddle offense anytime? Not just last two minutes with little to no timeouts. Can you run it in the beginning and middle of games?

So just let us know know when you and the McNair's are going on the road to interview the candidates.

...Wouldn't it be interesting to get Lovie & Kyle Shanahan & Cutler?...

Cutler has improved markedly under Trestman (the Bears' new coach). He was basically the Same Old Jay - love him one minute, hate him the next - under Smith.

And what has Shanahan Jr. done in Washington that makes him such a hot commodity? The 'Skins have sure looked good this year.

Pass on all three.

worry about yourself and stop stalking me loser.

Ill be asking those questions for every head coaching candidate.

Deal with it.

Wow, sensitive much?

Edit: Oh and you neg rep me for that? HAHAHAHA! You show your class or lack thereof buddy. Neg rep me all day long if you want. I'll still call you or anyone else out for spamming

Cowher got to the Super Bowl in his fourth season and he did it with Neil O'Donnell.

He just took ten more years after that to get back and win one.

Correct as Cak pointed out already earlier. Forgot about that one since I probably try to forget everything Cowboys. Point mainly being many seem to think Cowher is some messiah option in coaching but I remember Steelers fans wanting he should be replaced during that stretch. I heard some of the same complaints. 'He's old fashioned.' 'He isn't innovative.' 'He needs to get with the times.'Ten years and I wonder how our same fans that keep bellowing his name would have felt during that time. Just find it strange that fans continually are after the guy as if he was Bill Belichek reborn or something.

But they hear Lovie's name and immediately turn down the idea though he had success. Instead they rather go with someone who hasn't coached in a handful of years or a college guy like Sumlin who seems to be foreign to defense, etc. To each their own I guess.

What does his race have to do with anything? And considering the fact that all you ever did was spew failed arguments for Kubiak, well this post is comical to say the least.

I'll go on ahead and admit that I was wrong on Kubes.

Exactly WHY I don't want to see all that garbage again. And my black ass knows conservative black coaches ain't what I want to see on my squad. Why I want a Sumlin or Shaw; they got balls.

Your Lordship.

I like Lovie, but I don't like the fit defensively. Safety is a huge weakness on our team. How comfortable are you playing Cover 2 with Manning/Pleasant and Swearinger/Keo back deep? Not to mention you're paying JJo and KJax how much money to play Cover 2?

Same mistake the Cowboys made this year. They had 2 good man CB's they were paying a lot of money to and had horrible Safeties. So of course Jerry hires Kiffin and goes to a Cover 2. That's why they have the worst pass defense in the league this year.

Same mistake the Cowboys made this year. They had 2 good man CB's they were paying a lot of money to and had horrible Safeties. So of course Jerry hires Kiffin and goes to a Cover 2. That's why they have the worst pass defense in the league this year.

And because Jerry has his fingers in everything.

(That's a nasty visual, isn't it?)

Another name to keep an eye on: Rapoport was told that Kevin Sumlin will receive attention from Houston brass. The Texas A&M coach recently agreed to a six-year deal with the Aggies, but he hasn't officially signed it.
That's kinda interesting. Sounds like no more Mr Nice guy from McNair.

Ian Rapoport .... You shoulda stopped right there. Dude has no credibility , just a rumor machine.

We gave up 27+ to the Jags, twice. The Jags avg 14 ppg. If McNair forced Wade on Kubiak, I hope he's man enough to eat crow when it's warranted.

edit: after whippin our a55 the Jags now avg 15.5 ppg

I'll agree that Cutler isn't as good as Schaubiak.... as far as Freeman is concerned, you're probably right, but the FA market is slim. & if McNair really hasn't seen enough of Case yet, he'll probably want to bring someone in to compete with Case for the starting job.. .who knows?

Maybe. I'm not sold on this crop of QBs yet (not that I'm anybody). None of them look as good as Carr did coming out of Fresno State in 2002. Not to me. I feel sorry for any QB needy team with a top 5 pick.

A second rounder would make sense. But if I were in win now mode (which I think we should be) new coach, new offense, rookie QB just doesn't say "win now" to me.

Might be a moot point. Cutler may not even hit the market & Freeman (as you said) probably shouldn't be in the conversation.

So to turn to the original topic - you want a coach who never built a competent OL?

Nope

This should be a build the trenches draft.

So finally after more than a decade the foundation for long term success will be built properly.

I dont see any scenario where we hire a new head coach and keep Wade.....especially because of all the talk of rotating d linemen.....seems to be Wade is just as gone as Gary, but we need him to finish the season for us.

We're 2-10.... how badly do can we really need him?

He was an elite regular season QB. He didn't have the play-off success needed to be considered elite. I've never said any different.

Exactly WHY I don't want to see all that garbage again. And my black ass knows conservative black coaches ain't what I want to see on my squad. Why I want a Sumlin or Shaw; they got balls.

Rex Ryan if fired
Shaw
Billick
Holmgren

Are at the top of my list. Lovie would be a last resort. After wathching Sumlin manage the clock in a very Kubiakesque way I would probably have to find a new team to root for. I'm done with Aggie HC's for a long while.

amazing80 said:
...who complain about Smith are unrealistic about expectations (wanting every draft pick to be a stud and wanting every free agent brought in to be the greatest thing since sliced bread) when the reality is, he is just like all the other top GMs in the league. Makes great picks and makes horrible picks, signs guys to great team friendly contracts but will occasionally over pay a few. Its part of the job. But people like you just complain for the sake of it and its stating to get real irritating. So if you want to be "wishy washy" and run your mouth drive a few hours north and root for Jerrys team, otherwise shut up, sit back and enjoy the fact you got rid of your coach and are on the verge of bringing in a legit head coach.

snipped the cat fight but the remaining text is spot on. Even the best of the best GMs are hit and miss.

To the bolded, that can go two very different directions. My rose colored glasses are now permanently shelved. I HOPE the brain-trusts get this right and sets us up for many years of contention. History points to hoping against hope. Therefore I'll just watch the future unfold and hope what we all want. Please get it done.

Last edited:
No to Rex Ryan. That guy is a classless blowhard who has terrible offenses. You'd need the best offensive coordinator in the world to mask those deficiencies.

Lovie Smith drafted & started Rex Grossman.

Thems some pretty big balls.

Back