Texans re-sign RB Ron Dayne

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 281, Mar 16, 2007.

1. 281

281 Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4638490.html

The Texans re-signed veteran running back Ron Dayne on Friday. He will return for his second season with the Texans as a situational back. Newly acquired free agent Ahman Green is slated to be the starter.

Dayne, 29, started six games for the Texans last season and finished with 612 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

Runner likes this.
  2. 281

281 Hall of Fame

good move... now we need to lock up leach.

3. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Agreed. :wild:

4. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

This is a pretty good offseason if we can just re-sign Leach :thumbup I love this move. The only question now is who do we keep on the roster?

I say:
    Ahman Green
    Ron Dayne
    Chris Taylor
    Wali Lundy

5. AtheGreat

AtheGreat Veteran

i'm liking it too. have a 2 guys you can depend on to carry the ball is always good. Dayne on the 3rd down/ goalline type stuff and green the rest of the time. sounds like a good way to keep Green from running out of gas/ and getting injured.

give me leech too, and i'll call it good Rick! (hamlin would be nice too) :yahoo:

6. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Ahman Green
    Adrian Peterson
    Ron Dayne
    Wali Lundy

Chris Taylor-Practice Squad

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

With Ahman Green, Lundy, Gado & Taylor I was thinking.... "meh... we might pick up Peterson anyway"

But now, I don't know.

8. CoachJim

CoachJim Veteran

:confused: What am I missin here ... I was under the impression he signed with someone else, Eagles-Giants or summthin like that.

9. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

this morning I read that he was a Philadelphia Eagle...

10. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Yes you read that, but it was incorrect.

11. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Agreed again. :texflag:

12. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

We'll still take Peterson if available. Gado and Lundy are expendable and we don't know the details of Dayne's contract yet. If he was signed as a situational back, which the Chronicle said was the case, he could be cut during training camp if we get Peterson.

13. MATRIX

MATRIX Veteran

Taylor has mre ability than you give him credit for.

Lundy would be practice squad or the 4th RB in that situation. Anyone wondering if we didn't secure Leach yet because we could use Dayne or Gado as a FB in most situations. And if as you state we draft AP, then that wouldbe lethal to always have 2 legit RBs on the feild(one as a FB). Nobody would have a clue who would get the ball in a split back fomation.

14. Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan

Lifetime Oiler/Texan Fan Rookie

With the signing of Dayne, I believe that we will select Landry at #8 or trade down to pick up Kali or Brown.

15. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

He was on the practice squad last year instead of being in the lineup over Lundy/Gado...why would this year be any different.

16. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

People think it'll be different because he had an OK game against the crappy browns rush defense.

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm relieved. I know that there's a big slice of this message board that doesn't think Dayne is, was, or ever will be the answer to anyones question at RB but I respectfully disagree. I worry that Ahman Green will turn into another Texans FA signing that looked good when it happened but turned out to be wasted millions for someone who doesn't perform in our uniform.

I hope I'm wrong about that. I hope Green has a couple of good years left in him. If I'm not wrong about Green then it's nice to see that we have someone who IMO can carry the rock full time and get it done.

18. aproberts03

aproberts03 Rookie

im glad they resigned him..we got a good backfield for next season

19. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Alright!! I'm really happy...I too hope we can resign leech...this was a good offseason imo.

Dayne and Green still don't have an effect on our draft. They are great sign/resignings but don't exclude Peterson if he's there. It gives us more options if we want to trade down if he's there..or take him seeing how neither green or dayne are our franchise back. But it does get us by this season and next if we take BPA and continue building our team.

20. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

good it's done with...now let's focus our attention on keeping leach...with dayne back it creates good competition for our runningback corp and ensures us a good back up in case green goes down...it also pushes the need to draft a RB down but i still believe if AP is there we take him

still i would like to see us secure leach...re-sign the rest of our guys...maybe add one or two more veterans who aren't well into their 30's and head into the draft full of hope