Texans Rarin' To Run In '09

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, May 11, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/172185-texans-rarin-to-run-in-09

2. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

This might be one of the first non-houston based journalist that realizes schaub is good.

Good find

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. valleytexfan

valleytexfan Hall of Fame

i'll second that. Texans are getting more ink, hope it leads to more wins...

4. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

If the opening line of a story about the Texans is..

.. I tend to take whatever that person might say with a grain of salt.

Jackie Chiles likes this.
  5. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That was the first thing I noticed. Gee.......I hope our running game this year catches up with our defense of past years.:gun:

6. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Nice find.

7. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Also - this is the same site (not the same writer) who said we were going 0-16 last season. Or maybe it was 1-15. Every time I see an article from bleacherreport, I'm going to have to drop that little reminder. They'll literally post anything.

8. Polo

Polo Guest

I can see an outsider calling us a defensive oriented team...

We've gone defense in the first round a lot...Our first couple years defense was better than O...We beat the Steelers that one time with defense...The win against the Raiders when Carr was here he threw -5 passing yards and we won...

If you think about it, our highest profile players are on defense...Demeco, Mario, Dunta, Okoye, Now Cushing...

I can see why an outsider that has observed the Texans since they came into the leauge would say "the Texans have been a defensive oriented team"...In fact thats probably a true statement up until recently...Offense got better under Kubiak his first couple years, but its really just now starting to become 'lethal'...

FirstTexansFan likes this.
  9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I get what you're saying - but if you're going to take time to blog, write, or cover a team that's not the team YOU follow closely - put in some research. Put in some time. Don't just put something out there that's not well thought-out.

Not that this guy's article isn't - but he should know better than to call us defense-oriented. I mean - it's fine for him to say it if it's immediately followed by "...but it hasn't worked out that way for the Texans, who are consistently one of the worst defensive teams in the NFL."

Anyway - this guy is a HUGE improvement over the other Texans writer's they've had on that particular site.

10. Polo

Polo Guest

Question....

Would you say that the Texans have been an offensive oriented team throughout their brief existence?

I actually kind of agree with the writer. For the most part we've been a defensive oriented team...

And we still haven't actually started putting up the points to match our offensive output...

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Yeah, this team's always been known for defense.

Bad defense.

12. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I would absolutely NOT say we are an offensive-oriented team. I would say we have been a team desperately seeking an identity, and totally unable to find one to this point, but that the tide is finally starting to turn. I think the team WANTS to be defensive-oriented, but it hasn't happened yet. I really hope that changes next season, but I think we're probably yet another year away.

I guess our disagreement is in what exactly we define as "defense-oriented." Does that mean you WANT to be a defense-first team? If so - then yes, I think our draft picks and philosophies would indicate that's what we want to be.

If defense-oriented means that you ARE a defense-first team, or that your defense dictates the game and is responsible for creating good field position for your offense - then no, we are most certainly NOT that.

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Capers regime - absolutely defense oriented team - wanted to play great D (never achieved) and have an O good enough to get it done.
    Kubiak regime - offense oriented team - just doesn't want the D giving the games away so has been drafting D because they suck so bad.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

"These guys have always been a defensive-oriented team" meaning from the standpoint of addressing need via free agency & the draft, thats the way I read into it.

other than QB (Schaub/Carr) the only big offensive investment has been Andre Johnson. only recently have the Texans invested into the OL (Spencer/Winston/Caldwell/Brown) otherwise in free agency/draft the emphasis has been ALL defensive-oriented.

The big free agent signings have been CB Reeves & DE Smith. Mario #1 overall & DeMeco 1st pick of 2nd (06) Amobi Okoye 1st rd. selection 07 now Cushing/Bawin 1-2 in 09.

I didn't have the heart to ask Kubiak personally what he thought about adding another offensive playmaker (Maclin) all I could say is "you had a great draft that addressed defensive needs".

I think we're all hoping & waiting for that transformation as a "defensive-oriented team" to manifest itself under the new Bush regime so that when draft time rolls around next year if a special playmaker like a Maclin is available this time the Texans can add him to Schaub/Shanahan arsenal :specnatz:

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I loved:rolleyes:Caper's defensive philosophy "We want to stay close enough to take advantage at the end of the game if the other team makes a mistake". What?

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Nah, Capers' defense was all about "execution". :backsout: