Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

The Texans have worked out ex Jets safety Jaiquawn Jarrett. He was a 2nd rounder in 2011 and thought to be a reach at that. He was billed as a hard hitter, but never proved to be so at the NFL level. With the Eagles and Jets, he performed erratically in coverage. In 2015, he was IRed with a preceding history of both shoulder and knee injuries. He has not played since.

Eagles just signed their LT Jason Peters to an extension. He was in a similar situation to Brown (no gtd money).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...delphia-eagles-sign-jason-peters-to-extension
Among OTs 2016 ProFootBallFocus:

Jason Peters

Top overall grade:
LT Jason Peters, 88.3 (No. 7)

Top pass-blocking grade: LT Jason Peters, 89.1 (No. 6)

Duane Brown

Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

[did not grade out in the top 20 pass-blocking]

More than anything else isn't Brown looking for guaranteed compensation over the remaining two years of his existing contract which it currently is not ?

Good first effort, TRJ! Reader has been one of my favorite neophytes. The end of last season, he appeared to be coming into his own. As to Wilfork's extremely poor PFF rating last year, I would refer you to the Chronicle article I was featured in reviewing the Medical literature re. NFL players having ruptured their Achilles tendon. There was typically a consistent and predictable finding of player performance deteriorating the 3rd post rupture season.

Good first effort, TRJ! Reader has been one of my favorite neophytes. The end of last season, he appeared to be coming into his own. As to Wilfork's extremely poor PFF rating last year, I would refer you to the Chronicle article I was featured in reviewing the Medical literature re. NFL players having ruptured their Achilles tendon. There was typically a consistent and predictable finding of player performance deteriorating the 3rd post rupture season.

Thanks CnD!

Among OTs 2016 ProFootBallFocus:

Jason Peters

Top overall grade:
LT Jason Peters, 88.3 (No. 7)

Top pass-blocking grade: LT Jason Peters, 89.1 (No. 6)

Duane Brown

Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

[did not grade out in the top 20 pass-blocking]

Peter's got a 1 year extension with $15.5M in guarantees over the next three years.

Using Peter's as your starting point what would you say is fair for Duane Brown?

Peter's got a 1 year extension with $15.5M in guarantees over the next three years.

Using Peter's as your starting point what would you say is fair for Duane Brown?

Following his rookie year where they were easing Peter in, he played in all but 9 games in 11 years, and has shown no signs of slowing down. Contrast that to Brown. Beyond possibly guaranteeing his present 2017 salary, at this point in time, I would not consider extending his years.

By not drafting a plug and play OT early in this years draft Texans set up Brown power play we see unfolding now. I really don't see how Texans can avoid fetching up enough change to sign and extend their only legitimate, quality, proven OT.

By not drafting a plug and play OT early in this years draft Texans set up Brown power play we see unfolding now. I really don't see how Texans can avoid fetching up enough change to sign and extend their only legitimate, quality, proven OT.
And we don't have a first or second next draft. Unless we sign another team's cast off it possibly could be two years before we can address the position with a quality talent. Or maybe Davenport turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

And we don't have a first or second next draft. Unless we sign another team's cast off it possibly could be two years before we can address the position with a quality talent. Or maybe Davenport turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

Davenport played LT throughout his college career and certainly has the build for the position. Maybe we can have ourselves a draft "win" in the 4th round and he pans out as the heir apparent to DB76!

By drafting a top OT prospect this year, and having just let Osweiler walk, we would have been left with multiple high draft pics to pick high in next year's talented QB group, plus an avoidance of an almost predictable hostage situation.

DeAndre Hopkins: Tom Savage has “earned” starting quarterback job
June 14, 2017, 5:01 PM EDT

It’s one thing for the coaches to praise quarterback Tom Savage. The players have to believe it, too. In Houston, they apparently do.

“I like his leadership,” receiver DeAndre Hopkins told reporters on Wednesday. “From last year when he wasn’t playing on the field he was still showing the guys, telling us what we should do, helping us out like he was the starting quarterback. Now that he’s in that role it’s not a surprise to anybody on this field that he deserves that role.

“He has earned it, not just from playing but from the chemistry he has built in the locker room with everybody.”

That’s an important endorsement, if the Texans truly intend to resist throwing rookieDeshaun Watson into the fray. Of course, that doesn’t mean Watson won’t be thrown into fray.

“He’s a rookie,” Hopkins said of Watson. “He hasn’t put on any pads yet. How I define a quarterback isn’t necessarily what you guys would. What you go out there and do on that field, you got to prove it to me.”

Watson has been proving that he’s not a rookie away from the field.

“He’s far from where I was as a rookie, mentally-wise,” Hopkins said. “At the quarterback position – that’s probably the hardest position to learn on the football team. He has picked it up well. He’s been doing a lot of things, not just on the field but off the field as well. You’ll see him in there in his notebook. As soon as he gets in there he’s on his iPad looking at plays, trying to get better, trying to make his mistakes right. You can’t do that on the football field. You have to do that by off the field.

“Mentally, he has it. . . . It means a lot. It doesn’t go unnoticed. Everybody sees it. Everybody sees what he’s doing outside of the football field, putting in his own time to make himself better and this team.”

So, to summarize, Savage has earned the starting job, but Watson is making a very good impression on one of the most important teammates he can. Maybe the Texans, who have a championship-caliber defense, will win either way.

Then there’s Brandon Weeden, who I feel compelled to mention since he’s in the photo between Savage and Watson. If he’s ever playing for the Texans this year, it will likely mean something has gone horribly wrong.

Following his rookie year where they were easing Peter in, he played in all but 9 games in 11 years, and has shown no signs of slowing down. Contrast that to Brown. Beyond possibly guaranteeing his present 2017 salary, at this point in time, I would not consider extending his years.

Even if those years are not guaranteed? Let's say they guarantee his 2017 salary, then his 2018 salary provided he's on the roster for the 2018 NFL year (March whatever date), he's extended through 2020, but neither 2019 or 2020 are guaranteed.

Duane Brown's current salary for 2017 is $9.6M 2018 is $9.7M cap hits are the same as there are no prorated amounts.

He's going to be guaranteed his 2017 salary if he skips camp... & starts the 2017 season on the roster. So that's money already spent, imo. If he makes it to 2018 day 1, that's $19.3M that we're going to pay him regardless.

The Eagles gave Peters an $8M signing bonus for his extension which will result in $11M cap hits for the next two years.

If we extend Brown two years, non guaranteed, give him an $8M signing bonus his cap hit for the next two years would be $10.6M & $10.7M (neither guaranteed). If he's not on the roster for 2019 he'll cost us $4M in dead money. If he's not on the roster in 2018 there'll be $6M in dead money.

As it stands, if Brown is injured after 2017, we'll probably put him on IR for 2018 & pay the final year of his contract. If I were to extend him I would include an injury settlement provision, whether he's hurt in the 2017 year & not healthy in March 2018, or if he's hurt before the 2018 season (camp, OTAs), he's cut..... we'll save $3M towards the 2018 cap.

Even if those years are not guaranteed? Let's say they guarantee his 2017 salary, then his 2018 salary provided he's on the roster for the 2018 NFL year (March whatever date), he's extended through 2020, but neither 2019 or 2020 are guaranteed.

Duane Brown's current salary for 2017 is $9.6M 2018 is $9.7M cap hits are the same as there are no prorated amounts.

He's going to be guaranteed his 2017 salary if he skips camp... & starts the 2017 season on the roster. So that's money already spent, imo. If he makes it to 2018 day 1, that's $19.3M that we're going to pay him regardless.

The Eagles gave Peters an $8M signing bonus for his extension which will result in $11M cap hits for the next two years.

If we extend Brown two years, non guaranteed, give him an $8M signing bonus his cap hit for the next two years would be $10.6M & $10.7M (neither guaranteed). If he's not on the roster for 2019 he'll cost us $4M in dead money. If he's not on the roster in 2018 there'll be $6M in dead money.

As it stands, if Brown is injured after 2017, we'll probably put him on IR for 2018 & pay the final year of his contract. If I were to extend him I would include an injury settlement provision, whether he's hurt in the 2017 year & not healthy in March 2018, or if he's hurt before the 2018 season (camp, OTAs), he's cut..... we'll save $3M towards the 2018 cap.
Sorry, TK, but I don't claim to be a capologist, just looking at Brown's post injury situation and his ability to avoid re-injury or degeneration of the injury, both potentially significantly compromising or curtailing his future performance.

Texans put plan in place to help players ahead of training camp
Texans coach Bill O'Brien will rely on some of his veterans to keep the rookies on track before training camp. Jim Brown/USA Today Sports
10:15 AM CT
  • Sarah BarshopESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- Bill O’Brien cancelled the last day of minicamp for the Houston Texans on Thursday, but not before having a team meeting to stress the importance of the next five weeks.

With the Texans’ offseason program officially over, the players have off until July 25, when they will check in for training camp in Houston and fly as a team to White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia to begin camp.

“The biggest concern I have is the five weeks they have off when we’re not around them,” O’Brien said. “Especially the younger guys. With our rookie development program, we really try to guide them as to what they should be doing. One of those things is having their iPads and being able to watch the tape, their playbooks and being able to read their notes and not just head to the beach for five weeks and try to get a good tan. I mean, that’s not what it’s all about.

“You’re trying to make the team; you’re trying to make the team better. I think that’s a big time period for them so that when they come back for training camp it’s not like we’re starting over again, it’s more of a refresher course, and they’re ready to go.”

Because O’Brien knows the importance of the second half of the offseason, he and the Texans’ coaching staff have put processes into place to help the players -- especially the rookies -- stay focused in late June and July.

“We have a rookie development program that has a lot to do with when they’re not here with us,” O’Brien said. “What are they doing? What is their plan? What is their plan relative to football? What’s their plan relative to not being around football?

“Our training staff and our strength staff will be here to work with these guys every single day -- lifting, running, rehabbing in the training room. So, there’s a lot of things in place for these guys to be able to be here and train. … It’s all about being ready to go on July 25th.”

The message had gotten through to quarterback Tom Savage, who has a plan in place on how he is going to maximize the next five weeks with his teammates.

“They say this is a little offseason break, but this really isn’t a time for a break. I’m going to get some of the guys together, [and] we’re going to throw and kind of just keep moving forward. We can’t plateau here. Go into training camp running.”

While O’Brien mentioned the potential difficulties an NFL offseason presents for rookies, he is confident in the team’s veteran core to keep them on the right track heading into training camp.

“I think we do a good job here of telling everybody the concerns and worries [of] being a rookie, being young in the NFL, having a bunch of time on your hands,” wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins said. “We do a good job here and everybody takes care of everybody. This is a close team. If we see somebody doing the wrong thing, we’re going to let them know. I think they have good leadership ... to look at and what they do in the offseason.”

Sorry, TK, but I don't claim to be a capologist, just looking at Brown's post injury situation and his ability to avoid re-injury or degeneration of the injury, both potentially significantly compromising or curtailing his future performance.

So any contract extension in your mind is a bad decision, even if it doesn't obligate the Texans any more than they already are?

I could really care less what Watson wears, but it's a little strange choice of garb going to the WH. It certainly doesn't take away from the fact that he is one extremely stand up individual.

******************************************************************************************************

Deshaun Watson slammed for wearing too-snug pants when meeting Donald Trump

Houston Chronicle
By Joy Sewing

Updated 11:21 am, Thursday, June 15, 2017

Watson was No. 4 throughout high school. At Clemson, that number was retired in honor of quarterback Steve Fuller, who allowed Clemson to take it out of retirement so Watson could wear it. The last Texans player to wear No. 4 is kicker Randy Bullock. Quarterback flop Dave Ragone also wore No. 4 for the Texans, so it hasn’t been a particularly lucky number for the franchise.

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson and defensive lineman Carlos Watkins were in Washington DC on Monday with the rest of their former Clemson teammates and coaches for their visit to the White House celebrating their 2017 College Football Playoff National Championship.

For Watson’s visit he picked out a blazer with a white shirt and red tie with a pair of all-red high end Balenciaga sneakers and super tight pants.

920x920.jpg

When are skinny pants too skinny?

Well, take a look at the Instagram photo of Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson and defensive lineman Carlos Watkins. The men were in Washington DC on Monday with the rest of their former Clemson teammates and coaches for their visit to the White House celebrating their 2017 College Football Playoff National Championship.

Watson wore a blazer with a white shirt and red tie with a pair of red Balenciaga sneakers and pants that were so snug you could see the outlines of his cell phone. Let's remember he was at the White House.

My editor asked if his pants were actually leggings. You know, the athleisure look is huge.

President Donald Trump is honoring Clemson University's NCAA champion football team. The Clemson Tigers won the national championship with a 35-31 victory over the Alabama Crimson Tide. (June 12)

Now, after fans slammed his too-tight pants, Watson took to Twitter:

"It's called style. Everyone have their own look, if you don't like then don't look.," he tweeted.

Springing forward: Texans optimistic after offseason, but questions linger
By John McClain

June 15, 2017 Updated: June 15, 2017 8:00am

T he Texans' 2½-month offseason program ended Wednesday with the last day of minicamp, and the team made significant progress in a lot of areas working under the restrictions of a collective bargaining agreement that doesn't allow contact until training camp.

Coach Bill O'Brien was so excited with his team's progress that he cancelled the last day of the minicamp - the only part of the program that was mandatory.

The next time the players do anything of note will be in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., where they'll begin training camp July 25 at The Greenbrier.

"We had a very, very good, productive offseason," O'Brien said. "It's a very competitive roster.

"I think the guys (got) tired of each other a little, going against each other the way we compete. But a lot of good things have come out of it, and we're looking forward to training camp."

The Texans have undergone a lot of changes since losing at New England in the divisional round of the playoffs. When they entered the offseason program that included practice on a limited basis, the rookie minicamp, OTAs and the minicamp, the Texans had to show improvement in several particular areas.

What's next?
The summer offseason schedule for the Texans:

July 25: Players report to training camp in West Sulpher Springs, W. Va.

July 26: First practice at training camp

Aug. 9: Preseason opener at Carolina

Aug. 17: Training camp breaks

Aug. 19.: Preseason home opener vs. New England

Aug. 21-22: Open practices at Houston Methodist Training Center

Aug. 26: Preseason game at New Orleans

Aug. 31: Preseason finale vs. Dallas

Sept. 10: Season opener vs. Jacksonville at NRG Stadium

What's next?

A look at the rest of the Texans' summer schedule:

July 25: Players report to training camp in West Sulpher Springs, W. Va.

July 26: First practice at training camp

Aug. 9: Preseason opener at Carolina

Aug. 17: Training camp breaks

Aug. 19.: Preseason home opener vs. New England

Aug. 21-22: Open practices at Houston Methodist Training Center

Aug. 26: Preseason game at New Orleans

Aug. 31: Preseason finale vs. Dallas

Sept. 10: Season opener vs. Jacksonville at NRG Stadium

We learned a lot about the Texans in the offseason program. The biggest questions on the team - quarterback and the offensive line - were the same entering and leaving the offseason program.

Getting rid of former starting quarterback Brock Osweiler, promoting Tom Savage and drafting Deshaun Watson were moves designed to upgrade a position that's been plagued by ineptness and inconsistency since O'Brien arrived in 2014.

For the first time since his first season, O'Brien has taken over the play calling on a full-time basis. He made changes on his staff, including hiring Wes Welker as an offensive assistant and bringing back Bobby King to coach linebackers.

Success or failure at quarterback depends heavily on the performance of an offensive line that was missing its best player.

Left tackle Duane Brown missed the offseason program because of financial reasons. Brown was subject to fines of $80,400 for missing the mandatory minicamp. If he misses training camp, his fines will pile up.

Items of interest

Other things watched closely in the offseason program were players replacing cornerback A.J. Bouye, safety Quintin Demps and outside linebacker John Simon; the impact new defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel has made since being promoted and what they're doing to improve special teams.

As it is during every offseason program, some players emerged to the coaches' delight. Now, they're expected to continue their progress in training camp and preseason that include joint practices against New England and at New Orleans.

"I think we're all excited about this team," O'Brien said. "We're all excited about the way this team is shaping up relative to OTAs and minicamp, what we can be.

"In all three phases, we're just trying to play fast, so I think that takes simplifying, less thinking, get out there, play at a good tempo, make sure everybody's on the same page (with) great communication. Let's not make it too complicated for the players."

All about QBs

No matter what happens on either side of the ball in O'Brien's fourth season, nothing will get more attention than the performance of the quarterbacks.

Savage, Watson and veteran Brandon Weeden worked hard and made a positive impression on the coaches.

"Tom is the No. 1 quarterback, but he's got to earn it every day," O'Brien said. "Weeden and Deshaun have made Tom better and vice versa.

"I think the quarterback play this spring was very, very good with all of the things that were thrown at us. It's been good relative to the stages of their careers that they're in - with Brandon being the oldest and Tom being in his fourth year.

"Deshaun's been very impressive relative to being a rookie, so it's a competitive position."

Savage is No. 1 entering camp for the first time. Because they traded up 12 spots in the first round to get Watson, they have high expectations for him.

Savage and Weeden know O'Brien's system. Watson has showed he's a quick learner.

"They've all, in their own right – relative to their experience in our system - commanded the offense well," O'Brien said. "They've had their share of mistakes. They see a lot from our defense. I think knowledge of defense for every one of them is going to be very important, and then communication with their teammates is going to be big.

"These guys are working hard at it. They take a lot of mental reps. One of the things that I preach with these guys is that when they're not in there, let's make sure we're taking a mental rep. What would I do on this play, pre-snap and post-snap, and I think they're all doing a good job of that."

Competition up front

Brown's financial dispute allowed third-year offensive tackle Kendall Lamm to get a lot of repetitions at left tackle. Rookie Julién Davenport, the fourth-round pick, got valuable reps at right tackle.

Center Nick Martin, last year's second-round pick who spent his rookie season on injured reserve, returned and, along with Greg Mancz, played center and guard.

Perhaps the most improved offensive lineman was guard Chad Slade, who spent last season on the practice squad.

Guards Jeff Allen and Xavier Su'a-Filo had impressive camps, according to the coaches.

"Ideally, when you're building an offensive line, you always want to keep churning the back end, and that way, it creates competition and depth," offensive line coach Mike Devin said. "And, hopefully, the cream rises to the top, and you're always getting better and better.

"Since I've been here, this is the first year (where) we have all this depth and competition and all these little battles that no one's seeing that's going to make us better overall. They see it, and they work for it. That's exciting to me."

Vrabel takes over

On the other side of the ball, Vrabel is putting his stamp on a defense that finished first under Romeo Crennel last season.

"I think he's ready," said Crennel, who was promoted to assistant head coach. "He's organized, and he's a hard worker. He's smart, too. Only time will tell, but I think he'll do very well."

The players know Vrabel well, of course, after watching him coach linebackers for three seasons. He won't show what he's going to do until the regular season begins, but he will have his ideas about the defense and what he wants to accomplish.

"I love it," Vrabel said about running the defense. "I love being able to stand up in front of the defense and talk to the linebackers, obviously, but also the secondary (and) defensive line and trying to tie all those groups together.

"I think the one thing RAC (Crennel) allowed us to do was coach. He allowed us to coach our positions and take care of our guys and make sure they knew everything they needed to know for practice and games.

"I have to remember to try to give those assistant coaches enough time to get their guys ready for the game and not sit there and overtake the meeting and keep them in there for too long."

As far what he wants to see from his defense, Vrabel added, "We talk about trying to enhance the things that we do well and then continue, and then try to fix the things that we didn't do well.

"We didn't do a very good job of getting turnovers last year, so we've tried to make it a point to fix it and improve on it and make it better in the offseason. We'll see where that goes.

"We have to do better in scoring defense. We have to continue to play well on third down, continue to stop the run like we did late in the season. If we can continue to get three-and-outs like we did last year and give our offense a chance to get the ball back, we can help us win games."

Seeking something special

The Texans spend a lot of time practicing returning and covering kickoffs and punts, but they were mediocre again last season, Larry Izzo's first as special teams coordinator.

When Izzo was asked what he wants to improve, he said, "Just more consistent play across the board.

"You've got to win the field position battle every week. There were times last year (with) coverage breakdowns. You can never give up points, and we gave up points.

"We turned the ball over, so there's a lot of things to improve on. The offseason (made) the points of emphasis on what kind of unit we want to have. I feel good about the guys that we have, and it's a matter of executing on a more consistent level and a better level than last year."

In other words, the Texans still have a lot of improving to do, despite the coaches' positive reaction to their performance in the offseason program.

The bolded above is not necessarily a good thing. Lamm, who is used to RT has not had the opportunity to get reps at his anticipated natural pro RT position (LT does not equal RT). Brown with his hold out has essentially messed with the OL positions and their chemistry.........as well as not being there at an extremely important time to mentor the younger OL counterparts with his extensive experience.

I hate seeing my 19 year old son wearing those skinny jeans. That's not fashion and I can't believe Watson wore that to the freaking White House.

Come on younster.

Did D Brown sign the 6 year extension? Did he know that as he got further into the contract other tackles would sign deals more lucrative than his? Doesn't that apply to most NFL players? Did he keep the $ 22 million guarantee? Play out your promise Duane then negotiate all you want. Anyone doubt his agent told him he could sign a 3-4 year extension instead of six and then negotiate to bring his deal up to peers? Reminds me of AJ letting his uncle do his deal then moaning about it.

I hate seeing my 19 year old son wearing those skinny jeans. That's not fashion and I can't believe Watson wore that to the freaking White House.

Come on younster.

Hopefully an NFL strength and conditioning program will not allow him to skip leg day. Making this fashion statement a thing of the past!

Simply put, if you follow draft threads on this site, that 2nd round selection should have been OT not LB. Just saying need, position and supporting big time investment, once again required more attention. Now money as well!

Simply put, if you follow draft threads on this site, that 2nd round selection should have been OT not LB. Just saying need, position and supporting big time investment, once again required more attention. Now money as well!

But then is the argument of value over need

But then is the argument of value over need

To me, that would be a very valid argument. After Cunningham, pick 2/57, the next OT taken was Antonio Garcia at 3/85. The OT taken before Garcia was Cam Robinson at 2/34. After Garcia it was David Sharpe 4/129 and our Julién Davenport 4/130. As of the draft, I would not trade Cunningham's potential for Garcia just because Garcia plays OT.

Garcia (5.75 ranking):
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/antonio-garcia?id=2557938

Sharpe (5.68 ranking):
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/david-sharpe?id=2558145

Davenport (5.35 ranking):
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/julie'n-davenport?id=2557963

Zach Cunningham (5.94 ranking)
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/zach-cunningham?id=2558094

Did D Brown sign the 6 year extension? Did he know that as he got further into the contract other tackles would sign deals more lucrative than his? Doesn't that apply to most NFL players? Did he keep the $ 22 million guarantee? Play out your promise Duane then negotiate all you want. Anyone doubt his agent told him he could sign a 3-4 year extension instead of six and then negotiate to bring his deal up to peers? Reminds me of AJ letting his uncle do his deal then moaning about it.

Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. It is common for players, especially older players to want to come back to the table when the guarantees run out.

It was mentioned that Duane Brown will miss out on $1.2M if he skips all of OTAs & training camp. Brown is most likely looking at missing out on $9.2M if he's not healthy when the season starts. At that time, his salary becomes guaranteed.

Players not being healthy to start the regular season is common, especially for older players. Then they'll be offered an injury settlement... & lose a lot of money that season & the following. If he has a season ending injury before the start of the season, it is likely he'll be cut. Then have to sign a one year deal, for a lot less money when he does get healthy.

This should be no surprise to the Texans.

Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. It is common for players, especially older players to want to come back to the table when the guarantees run out.

It was mentioned that Duane Brown will miss out on $1.2M if he skips all of OTAs & training camp. Brown is most likely looking at missing out on $9.2M if he's not healthy when the season starts. At that time, his salary becomes guaranteed.

Players not being healthy to start the regular season is common, especially for older players. Then they'll be offered an injury settlement... & lose a lot of money that season & the following. If he has a season ending injury before the start of the season, it is likely he'll be cut. Then have to sign a one year deal, for a lot less money when he does get healthy.

Let's be honest here for second. We've very rarely been cutthroat about player injuries, much less corner stone players being injured. DQ we've carried through out his serious non-sports related injury. Newton, we re-worked things so that we wouldn't have to cut him and he still has money in his pocket after his horrific injury last year. Cushing and his plethora of injuries and over trained athlete syndrome. Even Brown with his injuries and suspension. I have zero doubts that Brown sees all monies currently due to him. Not just because of our history but because we honestly have no other option. I'm counting Brown's salary this year as paid in full. Next year's salary is at a 95% likelihood of being paid.

Let's be honest here for second. We've very rarely been cutthroat about player injuries, much less corner stone players being injured. DQ we've carried through out his serious non-sports related injury. Newton, we re-worked things so that we wouldn't have to cut him and he still has money in his pocket after his horrific injury last year. Cushing and his plethora of injuries and over trained athlete syndrome. Even Brown with his injuries and suspension. I have zero doubts that Brown sees all monies currently due to him. Not just because of our history but because we honestly have no other option. I'm counting Brown's salary this year as paid in full. Next year's salary is at a 95% likelihood of being paid.

I agree with you. But it wouldn't be the first time the Texans changed their policy on how they do things. I assumed Dunta was going to get paid... that's what the Texans did at that time, becoming more value oriented since then.

I never would have imagined the Texans would cut Andre Johnson. But that did happen.

I'm not saying whether DBrown76 should attend camp or not. I'm not saying the Texans should float him some extra money.

I'm just saying I understand why he didn't attend OTAs & most likely won't attend camp.

Offseason reading about the value of a sack and it's effect on killing drives.

The Tangible Value of NFL Sacks
http://settingedge.com/sackskilldrives

I seriously think our defense can be something special if both of our stars are healthy (I know, I know). The single season sack record is 72 by the '84 Bears. 73 sacks in a 16 game season averages out to 4.5 per game. That's a pretty tough goal. Even if JJ, JDC, and Meric got 20 each we'd still be 13 short (Again I know, I know). I would love to break that record but damn that's a lofty number.

I agree with you. But it wouldn't be the first time the Texans changed their policy on how they do things. I assumed Dunta was going to get paid... that's what the Texans did at that time, becoming more value oriented since then.

I never would have imagined the Texans would cut Andre Johnson. But that did happen.

I'm not saying whether DBrown76 should attend camp or not. I'm not saying the Texans should float him some extra money.

I'm just saying I understand why he didn't attend OTAs & most likely won't attend camp.

Totally understandable. I don't come to work unless I have to. I can see why DB wouldn't come especially if there aren't guarantees in place in case of injury.

Good post! The main reason that long term contracts are negotiated is so that the player can make a virtual killing in the market quickly while the team suffers less in the long run. Do you see him or most players voluntarily come back to teams after injuries and/or poor performances and ask for their contracts to be negotiated down...........or "here, let me give you some of my money back"?
6c1c40aaef22568e24d69f8d02b01100.jpg

Last edited:

I get asked daily at work about Duane's situation (they assume the building fanatic knows all) and I keep coming back to the realization that Rick Smith isn't likely to blink. If Duane's camp is telling him that he will, he's getting bad advice.

Honestly? As much as I hate some of the decisions Rick Smith has made, this is one I can laud him for.

Correction some parts of contracts are not guaranteed and..some are; $22 of 53 is significant. He played 12 games (2016) and was on field each game more than I expected. I can find no info saying he cannot start game one. I do think CnnnD has offered very accurate info and I would not guarantee a nickle for Brown. You are correct that DB is concerned he will/could be cut if injured preseason; so pay the fine and show up game 1. I believe Texans would wave the penalty once he walks on field. Smith needs to man up and give his other LT options plenty of work come July and allegedly management likes Lamm so..

I doubt anyone thing DB needs much to be ready to go.

To me, that would be a very valid argument. After Cunningham, pick 2/57, the next OT taken was Antonio Garcia at 3/85. The OT taken before Garcia was Cam Robinson at 2/34. After Garcia it was David Sharpe 4/129 and our Julién Davenport 4/130. As of the draft, I would not trade Cunningham's potential for Garcia just because Garcia plays OT.

Garcia (5.75 ranking):

Sharpe (5.68 ranking):

Garcia (5.75 ranking):

Sharpe (5.68 ranking):
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/david-sharpe?id=2558145

Davenport (5.35 ranking):
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/julie'n-davenport?id=2557963

Zach Cunningham (5.94 ranking)
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/zach-cunningham?id=2558094
If Antonio Garica had dropped to Texans in third I would have picked him and still selected Davenport.

I understand. Contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed. They can give him $8M (I'm not saying they should), extend his contract two years & not be obligated to anything more than they are now.
TK, extending him two seasons of non guaranteed money does nothing for him and he knows that. His 2017 is guaranteed game one as you have noted. He just needs to get there uninjured.

Spring Round Up: 11 Things We Learned About the Houston Texans
9:13 AM

11 things we learned about the Houston Texans coming out of their work during the spring.

With rookie mini-camp, OTAs, and mandatory mini-camp in the books and the team now preparing for training camp in West Virginia, there is plenty to chew on regarding the work the Houston Texans put in this spring. There are so many angles to look at with this team so we pared it down to eleven things we learned over this stretch of preparation. Here is what we learned about the Texans heading toward training camp.

The Tom Savage Show
The reality of the situation is that the Texans have invested a lot in Tom Savage: they drafted him, put many hours into his development, and he is the one guy who has made it through the numerous personnel shifts in the quarterback room. For the first time in his career with the Texans, Savage is getting an extended look with the first team offense, something that he has not received in the past. Savage is working not only on his game, but is learning how to take responsibility and ownership of the offense. If anything, he has grown since the start of OTAs, evident especially given how he carries himself in the huddle and makes minor adjustments on the field with personnel and formations. He is clearly ahead of the curve skill wise when compared to the other two quarterbacks but his biggest jump has been him setting up the offense to succeed play-to-play.

J.J. Watt's Health
J.J. Watt back will be in question until training camp arrives and start dealing with contact. The biggest issue with Watt's back last season was how slow his feet where off the snap. It is hard to tell if that quickness will be regained but when he is able to cut loose in West Virginia, there will be a better feel for his health. He took veteran day's off during this stretch and when he was on the field looked like he was supposed to in drills and pass rush.

Youth at Wide Receiver
The Texans are in the same spot they were last season when they went to camp. They have DeAndre Hopkins and a lot of youth behind him. There is a good chance Jaelen Strong, Will Fuller V and Braxton Miller will be the foundation of the receiver group, but looking deeper, the Texans have to find more options. The team is depending on the group to take a jump as a whole but it still feels like they need a veteran presence added to the group, almost a grinder who will do the dirty work as in making tough catches and mixing it up in the run game. Wendall Williams has made some strong strides in his game but the players in this younger class of rookie free agents have not had health on their side. Justin Hardee is the top option from the rookie free agents but looking big picture, there are plenty of questions surrounding the group.

Coaching Influence
The biggest addition to the Texans could be Wes Welker and it is in part due to how much he has been working with the wide receiver group, sharing his knowledge from when he played in this offense in New England. It is easy to see how important receivers have been to the Patriots offense over the years and Welker is in there with the Texans receivers, having conversations with the group after reps on the field, during drills, and in the film room. DeAndre Hopkins and Braxton Miller both have discussed the importance of Welker to their growth in the offense, especially in reading coverages to improve their reads for the quarterbacks in the passing game. The Texans have moved tight end coach John Perry to the wide receivers and Perry was instrumental in developing both C.J. Fiedorowicz and Ryan Griffin in the offense. Perry's hard coaching on technique has now been brought to the wide receiver group. The Texans know the group needs to make the jump and adding two coaches with different styles to help them has been good for the group early.

Safety Help
There are a few positives for this group starting with the health of both Lonnie Ballentine and Kurtis Drummond. If the duo can stay healthy, they will each push for roster spots on the 53-man roster. Andre Hal is the most experienced option at safety along with Eddie Pleasant and Corey Moore, who played in the base defense late last season. K.J. Dillon is expected to be ready for training camp, trying to get full strength after a torn ACL last season. Much like the wide receiver group, there are some names who feel like they can make a difference but the Texans bringing in Jaquwan Jarrett and meeting with Aaron Williams makes the intentions of the team more clear. The Texans are not ready to pull the trigger on either of those options but they are looking for a veteran presence for camp to come in and compete.

Deshaun Watson
The best part of Deshaun Watson being with the Texans there is no reason to rush him on the field with Tom Savage currently running the offense. There is a perception that there is pressure on Watson to be a “now” player for the Texans but that is far from the truth. With Bill O’Brien being so hands on with the entire quarterback group, Watson will have time to absorb the offense and iron out his mechanics, which he has begun doing since his arrival during rookie mini-camp. There are positive reviews on how Watson is behind the scenes: he has been called a team player, coachable, and more importantly, self-motivated to make a difference on and off the field for the Texans. The Texans are looking at Watson for the long haul and do not expect him to be an immediate fix to their quarterback carousel. Watson will hit the field when the Texans feel he is ready and can operate the offense with little issue. When that is, no one knows, but there is no accelerated program to get him on the field.

Tyler Ervin
If there is one player out of 90 on the roster who clearly looks like he is ready to push for more, it is Tyler Ervin. His confidence is clear when he is on the field and is running, catching, and settling into what the offensive coaches are asking him to do. He has shown flashes of what made him successful at San Jose State, which is making defenders miss. He is making defenders come up empty which would happen even if they were in pads. There are times when Ervin gets the open defenders in trouble with how quick he is getting in and out of his cuts. Ervin has to find a way to bring this to camp and continue growing as a player.

Robert Nelson Jr.
The Texans always find ways to get cornerbacks who fit into what they want and Robert Nelson is becoming that next cornerback to watch. His best attribute is his long speed and ability to run with any receiver on the field, but he is going to have to show that he can come in and spot fill snaps on defense behind the trio of Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, and Kevin Johnson. The Texans are not afraid to go into their depth chart during games to ensure they are fresh for the entire game. Nelson has a chance to get his snaps up during the year and with his strong work during the spring, he has a opportunity to fill that void in the depth chart.

David Quessenberry
If David Quessenberry shows he can hold up during camp, he will have achieved the more difficult obstacle in getting back on the field - playing football is the easy part for him. His versatility is an added plus because he is the only option who could play all five spots if needed on the line. The story is already the best of the NFL off-season and it will only get better when Quessenberry hits the field, showing he can again handle full contact. If that happens, he will be depended on to be a key portion of the offensive line. There has not been contact for Quessenberry for over four years but knowing what he is made of, there is no reason to discount him landing a roster spot when training camp ends.

Rookie Free Agents
There is always a group of rookie free agents to watch heading into camp, specifically, the work they put in. Trench players are not included in this list until pads go on in camp; until then, it's virtually impossible to get a feel for what they can do. Still, early names to watch are outside linebacker Dayon Pratt, wide receivers Justin Hardee and Riley McCarron, cornerbacks Bryce Jones and Dee Virgin, and inside linebacker Dylan Cole for the rookie free agent group.

Bill O’Brien
The biggest change since the Texans hit the field is the work that Bill O’Brien is putting in with the offense. He has been hands on with the quarterback group and entire offensive unit. O’Brien is even using the radio to call in plays to the quarterbacks, a responsibility which used to be in the hands of the departed George Godsey. The influence of O’Brien is clear. He is in the mix with the entire group and it is paying off with some of the early work on the field. The group looks much more fluid compared the past seasons and in a system that predicates itself off of precise routes and throws, it looks like the offense is much further along than expected. The players have noticed how much O’Brien is involved and they like that he is taking ownership of the offense and working the group.

Spring Round Up: 11 Things We Learned About the Houston Texans
9:13 AM

11 things we learned about the Houston Texans coming out of their work during the spring.

With rookie mini-camp, OTAs, and mandatory mini-camp in the books and the team now preparing for training camp in West Virginia, there is plenty to chew on regarding the work the Houston Texans put in this spring. There are so many angles to look at with this team so we pared it down to eleven things we learned over this stretch of preparation. Here is what we learned about the Texans heading toward training camp.

The Tom Savage Show
The reality of the situation is that the Texans have invested a lot in Tom Savage: they drafted him, put many hours into his development, and he is the one guy who has made it through the numerous personnel shifts in the quarterback room. For the first time in his career with the Texans, Savage is getting an extended look with the first team offense, something that he has not received in the past. Savage is working not only on his game, but is learning how to take responsibility and ownership of the offense. If anything, he has grown since the start of OTAs, evident especially given how he carries himself in the huddle and makes minor adjustments on the field with personnel and formations. He is clearly ahead of the curve skill wise when compared to the other two quarterbacks but his biggest jump has been him setting up the offense to succeed play-to-play.

J.J. Watt's Health
J.J. Watt back will be in question until training camp arrives and start dealing with contact. The biggest issue with Watt's back last season was how slow his feet where off the snap. It is hard to tell if that quickness will be regained but when he is able to cut loose in West Virginia, there will be a better feel for his health. He took veteran day's off during this stretch and when he was on the field looked like he was supposed to in drills and pass rush.

Youth at Wide Receiver
The Texans are in the same spot they were last season when they went to camp. They have DeAndre Hopkins and a lot of youth behind him. There is a good chance Jaelen Strong, Will Fuller V and Braxton Miller will be the foundation of the receiver group, but looking deeper, the Texans have to find more options. The team is depending on the group to take a jump as a whole but it still feels like they need a veteran presence added to the group, almost a grinder who will do the dirty work as in making tough catches and mixing it up in the run game. Wendall Williams has made some strong strides in his game but the players in this younger class of rookie free agents have not had health on their side. Justin Hardee is the top option from the rookie free agents but looking big picture, there are plenty of questions surrounding the group.

Coaching Influence
The biggest addition to the Texans could be Wes Welker and it is in part due to how much he has been working with the wide receiver group, sharing his knowledge from when he played in this offense in New England. It is easy to see how important receivers have been to the Patriots offense over the years and Welker is in there with the Texans receivers, having conversations with the group after reps on the field, during drills, and in the film room. DeAndre Hopkins and Braxton Miller both have discussed the importance of Welker to their growth in the offense, especially in reading coverages to improve their reads for the quarterbacks in the passing game. The Texans have moved tight end coach John Perry to the wide receivers and Perry was instrumental in developing both C.J. Fiedorowicz and Ryan Griffin in the offense. Perry's hard coaching on technique has now been brought to the wide receiver group. The Texans know the group needs to make the jump and adding two coaches with different styles to help them has been good for the group early.

Safety Help
There are a few positives for this group starting with the health of both Lonnie Ballentine and Kurtis Drummond. If the duo can stay healthy, they will each push for roster spots on the 53-man roster. Andre Hal is the most experienced option at safety along with Eddie Pleasant and Corey Moore, who played in the base defense late last season. K.J. Dillon is expected to be ready for training camp, trying to get full strength after a torn ACL last season. Much like the wide receiver group, there are some names who feel like they can make a difference but the Texans bringing in Jaquwan Jarrett and meeting with Aaron Williams makes the intentions of the team more clear. The Texans are not ready to pull the trigger on either of those options but they are looking for a veteran presence for camp to come in and compete.

Deshaun Watson
The best part of Deshaun Watson being with the Texans there is no reason to rush him on the field with Tom Savage currently running the offense. There is a perception that there is pressure on Watson to be a “now” player for the Texans but that is far from the truth. With Bill O’Brien being so hands on with the entire quarterback group, Watson will have time to absorb the offense and iron out his mechanics, which he has begun doing since his arrival during rookie mini-camp. There are positive reviews on how Watson is behind the scenes: he has been called a team player, coachable, and more importantly, self-motivated to make a difference on and off the field for the Texans. The Texans are looking at Watson for the long haul and do not expect him to be an immediate fix to their quarterback carousel. Watson will hit the field when the Texans feel he is ready and can operate the offense with little issue. When that is, no one knows, but there is no accelerated program to get him on the field.

Tyler Ervin
If there is one player out of 90 on the roster who clearly looks like he is ready to push for more, it is Tyler Ervin. His confidence is clear when he is on the field and is running, catching, and settling into what the offensive coaches are asking him to do. He has shown flashes of what made him successful at San Jose State, which is making defenders miss. He is making defenders come up empty which would happen even if they were in pads. There are times when Ervin gets the open defenders in trouble with how quick he is getting in and out of his cuts. Ervin has to find a way to bring this to camp and continue growing as a player.

Robert Nelson Jr.
The Texans always find ways to get cornerbacks who fit into what they want and Robert Nelson is becoming that next cornerback to watch. His best attribute is his long speed and ability to run with any receiver on the field, but he is going to have to show that he can come in and spot fill snaps on defense behind the trio of Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, and Kevin Johnson. The Texans are not afraid to go into their depth chart during games to ensure they are fresh for the entire game. Nelson has a chance to get his snaps up during the year and with his strong work during the spring, he has a opportunity to fill that void in the depth chart.

David Quessenberry
If David Quessenberry shows he can hold up during camp, he will have achieved the more difficult obstacle in getting back on the field - playing football is the easy part for him. His versatility is an added plus because he is the only option who could play all five spots if needed on the line. The story is already the best of the NFL off-season and it will only get better when Quessenberry hits the field, showing he can again handle full contact. If that happens, he will be depended on to be a key portion of the offensive line. There has not been contact for Quessenberry for over four years but knowing what he is made of, there is no reason to discount him landing a roster spot when training camp ends.

Rookie Free Agents
There is always a group of rookie free agents to watch heading into camp, specifically, the work they put in. Trench players are not included in this list until pads go on in camp; until then, it's virtually impossible to get a feel for what they can do. Still, early names to watch are outside linebacker Dayon Pratt, wide receivers Justin Hardee and Riley McCarron, cornerbacks Bryce Jones and Dee Virgin, and inside linebacker Dylan Cole for the rookie free agent group.

Bill O’Brien
The biggest change since the Texans hit the field is the work that Bill O’Brien is putting in with the offense. He has been hands on with the quarterback group and entire offensive unit. O’Brien is even using the radio to call in plays to the quarterbacks, a responsibility which used to be in the hands of the departed George Godsey. The influence of O’Brien is clear. He is in the mix with the entire group and it is paying off with some of the early work on the field. The group looks much more fluid compared the past seasons and in a system that predicates itself off of precise routes and throws, it looks like the offense is much further along than expected. The players have noticed how much O’Brien is involved and they like that he is taking ownership of the offense and working the group.
Thoughts from the good doctor?

Back