Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

With Tank Dell in concussion protocol, I doubt he will be available for the NO game on the weekend.
Fortunately, we have Nico, Woods and Metchie.
Schultz and Pierce may also get a couple more passes thrown their way too.
If Dell cant get back I want to see Hutch get some reps. The guy has a knack for getting open and hands of glue. We would get to find out what we have in him for the future...not as fast, not as shifty, but could become another Woods and be a reliable WR for CJ...especially since Woods is getting long in the tooth.

Number19

Hall of Fame
So far for the year, Pierce has 247 yds on 84 attempts for a 2.9 yd avg.

Singletary: 27 attempts for 95 yds and 3.5 avg.

In 2019 for the Vikings, Boone had 49 attempts for 273 yds and an avg of 5.6. Don't know what scheme Minnesota ran, but we need to give Boone more carries and see what he can do.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Demeco spoke and said the o-line is making holes and the back needs to make people miss sometimes etc. So he put it squarely on Pierce and maybe that is why they tried Tank a few times. You cannot convince me they blocked well on those pitches. Also, we run a lot into loaded boxes, does CJ have the right to audible? Anyway, I agree we should see some more of Singletary/Boone and use Pierce when people are more wore out.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If Dell cant get back I want to see Hutch get some reps. The guy has a knack for getting open and hands of glue. We would get to find out what we have in him for the future...not as fast, not as shifty, but could become another Woods and be a reliable WR for CJ...especially since Woods is getting long in the tooth.
Yep! Forgot about Hutch!

We needed a barrage of quick passes against ATL. That would have helped in loosening up the defense vs having them stack the box and those repeated attempts of the pitches was just plain stupid. With ATL being aggressive as they were upfront we should have utilized more screens to make them pay for their aggressiveness and let the backs slip out behind them w/ a train of blockers.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
DP isn’t showing any patience and he’s not hitting the cut back lanes.

And again they’re not allowing CJ to audible in and out of plays like that.
I agree, looks like Singletary has better vision, better patience.

I don't know if Cj is ready to check in & out of plays like that. If he were, I have every reason to believe they would allow it.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
I don’t think it’s Pierce, I think it’s the line

You see little push from our line, they seemed to be manhandled all the time

Porky

Hall of Fame
It’s not any one thing but as the season drags on, I see DP as not a fit in this offense. I also think they screwed him up. They wanted him to lose weight and get shiftier and be a pass catcher.

I think it’s blown up in their faces. He’s now a tweener that does nothing well. He’s not a zone runner. He’s not seeing those backside cuts imho. And he’s not running over people and running heavy like last year. He’s in no man’s land.

I’d attempt to trade him before Oct 31 for a pick or a different piece. Run Devon and Mike out there and those two can be competitive and probably better honestly.

I now think RB is a real focus. We need a stud RB that fits this scheme to take the next big step in 24.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We needed a barrage of quick passes against ATL. That would have helped in loosening up the defense vs having them stack the box and those repeated attempts of the pitches was just plain stupid. With ATL being aggressive as they were upfront we should have utilized more screens to make them pay for their aggressiveness and let the backs slip out behind them w/ a train of blockers.
Generally screens don't work against fast defenses.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
they do if you ease those LB's out of the box by hitting them with quick slants....those PITCHES dont work against fast defenses and it was proven time and time again...why we kept going back to it really confused the hell out of me
Not against a well coached defense.

Agreed about the pitches.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I may have to rethink this. The Texans overall, 5 game, run blocking grade ranks smack in the middle at #16. But our rushing yards ranks us #26 and our yards per carry is dead last #32.

This needs explaining.

There's been speculation about Pierce's running style not being a fit for our ZBS. There may be something to this.

Now, the run blocking grade is subjective, but overall, may be better than I thought. So I'm forced to look elsewhere and RB is a logical place to look.
This is not speculation! Pierce was drafted for a power scheme. Our run scheme has gone solidly to the ZBS. Pierce's forte is right up the middle of the gut. You hardly see him run to the outside.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Number19

Hall of Fame
Perhaps the Texans should try to move Pierce before the trade deadline. The teams which run a power scheme should be contacted to see if there is any interest. He would have to be replaced. I'd look to the practice squads of the other teams.

Perhaps if there's interest, we could get a three.

Just plain silliness around here....5 games in and people already dismissing WAJr and basically calling him a failure after all the pressure and havoc he creates and not to mention his fg block. I guess sacks are the only thing that matters these days. And then calling to trade Pierce after 5 games with a patchwork of an Oline that has yet to see the same starting 5 twice...after years of needing and wanting a RB yall wanna get rid of our promising young players at every whim.

Its no wonder why people call Texans fans FICKLE AND TRASH.

OH SHITE BETTER LOOK OUT....LOOKS LIKE THE WIND CHANGED DIRECTION AGAIN...

Number19

Hall of Fame
Just plain silliness around here....5 games in and people already dismissing WAJr and basically calling him a failure after all the pressure and havoc he creates and not to mention his fg block. I guess sacks are the only thing that matters these days. And then calling to trade Pierce after 5 games with a patchwork of an Oline that has yet to see the same starting 5 twice...after years of needing and wanting a RB yall wanna get rid of our promising young players at every whim.

No, the wind has not changed direction, again. But what you are ignoring is that we did have a significant change of direction this past year, for the third time in three years, and now have a new coaching staff in place.

Pierce was drafted under the previous coaching staff as a power runner. The new coaching staff has installed a ZBS and with this scheme Pierce is averaging only 2.9 yds per carry.

As for the OL, despite the injuries, by PFF's rating system, our OL is graded and rated as #16. Really not bad. As Ryan has said, the openings are there, our RB just has to hit them.

Pierce is a good RB, in the right system, and has a lot of tread left on his tires. If there is interest, now is the time to maybe make the change and find the RB more suited to the ZBS.

Boone should be given a chance to show what he has, we should scour the practice squads and maybe draft a RB in next year's draft.

This is not a whim. It's being cognizant of the changes installed by our new coaching staff and making the changes, and finding the right players, required for our new team.

Last edited:

zshawn10

All Pro

Through five games, only two teams score touchdowns upon reaching their opponent’s 20 at a lower rate than the Texans (35.3%), whose output on 17 chances (six TDs, 10 FGs, one missed FG) has denied them 47 possible points. Considering the franchise has its first positive scoring margin (+15) since 2018, the team’s red-zone reticence is one of the major obstacles in the way of true playoff contention.

Houston’s loss in Atlanta epitomized one of its most pronounced red-zone problems. The Texans average 1.7 yards per carry in the area, which is 48.9% lower than the league average (2.8). Of their 24 red-zone rushes, six have been stuffed for no gain and four have lost yardage. It isn’t an isolated issue. No team averages fewer yards per carry than the Texans (3.0) on any play, and their -0.210 EPA/play (which measures the chances of a team scoring on any given play) on rushes ranks 30th in the league while their 0.113 EPA/play on passes ranks ninth.

It's a curious regression for Pierce, who earned a reputation as a punishing rusher while rushing for 4.3 yards per carry as a rookie last season. Pierce now averages 2.9 yards per carry, and the 2022 fourth-round pick ranks 45th among all NFL running backs (min. 20 attempts) with 2.21 yards after contact, according to Pro Football Focus. His 3.28 yards after contact in 2022 ranked 12th. Pierce has not been productive in the red zone. His 12 attempts have gained four yards (0.33 per carry), which includes a 1-yard touchdown run against the Jaguars.

Devin Singletary, who signed a one-year deal after spending four seasons as Buffalo’s primary back, has instead generated more success (four rushes, 11 yards). Leading the Steelers 16-6 in the fourth quarter, Singletary bounced a second-and-4 run to the outside for a 9-yard gain to the 7, battered his way into a 1-yard gain, then slung a trick-play toss to Schultz for a 6-yard touchdown pass.

Singletary’s efficiency inspires the creativity that befits the madness red-zone offenses sometimes require. Texans tight end coach Jake Moreland, who oversees the team’s red-zone game plans, joked the Singletary pass actually went “awful” when they installed it during the Thursday practice before the Steelers game. But when Singletary, who Moreland said has “been running the ball really hard,” forced the Pittsburgh defense to load the box and overextend against the run, Moreland and offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik felt it was the proper time to strike with the halfback pass.

Moreland called Houston’s red-zone offense a “collaborative process,” but it’s a facet Slowik has allowed him to manage. Moreland, who’s in his third NFL season after spending four years as Western Michigan’s offensive coordinator, spends his time building the red-zone plan as most play-callers do: dissecting film from across the league, searching for trends, testing philosophical theories against the opponent’s defensive tendencies.

Slowik calls the plays, but on Fridays, Moreland leads the red-zone meetings. Woods says Moreland is a “high-energy guy” during their sessions, and he’s clear on “seeing what their defense is going to be in.” Senior offensive assistant Bill Lazor, a three-time offensive coordinator, often helps brainstorm, and Slowik installs the plays during practice and chooses from them during in-game red-zone scenarios.

“There’s a bunch of us that come up with ideas,” said Moreland, a former tight end with the Jets and Browns who joined the Texans after coaching tight ends for the Broncos in 2022. “We all kind of look at it. I might come up with an idea, and (Slowik) goes, ‘Well, what if we did this?’ And then, (Lazor) might be like, ‘Oh, hey, I’ve done this.’ It kind of just takes on a life of its own, and before we know it, we get to a play we all feel comfortable with, and the quarterback’s got his reads, the offensive line, all their protection issues are taken care of, and it just kind of goes that way.”

Most of Houston’s red-zone solutions originate in the passing game. Stroud averages 3.7 yards per attempt in the area (the league average is 3.4), and the No. 2 overall pick’s 98.7 red-zone quarterback rating is 6.3% higher than the league average (92.7). There’s certainly more reason for the Texans to be more confident through the air. Stroud’s 0.102 EPA/play ranks 11th among quarterbacks, and his 186 passing attempts without an interception are now an NFL record for a quarterback at the start of his career.

The protection issues that flared in Houston’s first two games have been mitigated. Stroud was sacked three times in three red-zone opportunities against the Ravens and Colts, and all three instances yielded field goal attempts (Fairbairn missed one against the Colts). Stroud hasn’t been sacked in three straight games, and, within that stretch, he’s completed 4-of-8 passes for 31 yards and three touchdowns in red-zone opportunities.
Slowik and Moreland have demonstrated they sometimes favor the pass in short-yardage situations. On third-and-2 at the Jaguars 4, Stroud stood in the shotgun while fielding a three-wide receiver package, which produced a 4-yard touchdown pass to tight end Brevin Jordan and a 14-0 lead in the first quarter the Texans did not relent.

While relying on Stroud and Houston’s passing attack to shoulder the load isn’t a sustainable model for long-term success, it’s the team’s most reliable option until its run-game issues are solved. Perhaps Woods sums it up best, and quite simply:

“If we can just not have negative plays, we’ll probably score touchdowns,” Woods said.

No, the wind has not changed direction, again. But what you are ignoring is that we did have a significant change of direction this past year, for the third time in three years, and now have a new coaching staff in place.

Pierce was drafted under the previous coaching staff as a power runner. The new coaching staff has installed a ZBS and with this scheme Pierce is averaging only 2.9 yds per carry.

As for the OL, despite the injuries, by PFF's rating system, our OL is graded and rated as #16. Really not bad. As Ryan has said, the openings are there, our RB just has to hit them.

Pierce is a good RB, in the right system, and has a lot of tread left on his tires. If there is interest, now is the time to maybe make the change and find the RB more suited to the ZBS.

Boone should be given a chance to show what he has, we should scour the practice squads and maybe draft a RB in next year's draft.

This is not a whim. It's being cognizant of the changes installed by our new coaching staff and making the changes, and finding the right players, required for our new team.
And for some reason you fail to account for the repeated failed attempts at pitches that werent working and dont work against fast defenses...and yet we tried them several times against the falcons and lost 3-4 yards every attempt...you dont think that schews the average and numbers???

DP isnt a magician...there is no breaking tackles of three dlinemen as soon as he gets the pitch behind the LOS.

How about we go back and take his attempts minus the retarded pitches and the yards gained on runs, again that werent pitches, and see what his average is then...

Number19

Hall of Fame
And for some reason you fail to account for the repeated failed attempts at pitches that werent working and dont work against fast defenses...and yet we tried them several times against the falcons and lost 3-4 yards every attempt...you dont think that schews the average and numbers???

DP isnt a magician...there is no breaking tackles of three dlinemen as soon as he gets the pitch behind the LOS.

How about we go back and take his attempts minus the retarded pitches and the yards gained on runs, again that werent pitches, and see what his average is then...
You are focusing/commenting on a few plays in one game. Take these few plays out and yes it would change averages, but not much. Why don't you do what you suggest?

Here are his game averages for the season:
Game 1....3.5
Game 2....2.1
Game 3....2.2
Game 4....3.4
Game 5....3.3

Heard a logical comment on 610 this morning. Singletary got zero attempts against the Falcons. He should be getting a dozen carries. If the Texans rushing problem falls on the RB, giving Singletary more carries would give more insight into the problem and the solution.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame

I've never heard anyone call Texans fans "fickle and trash".. not one. You're the first. You might hold that opinion, but I've never heard that from any fans around the league.

Number19

Hall of Fame
To have a RB among the top 25, that back will need to average about 5 yds per carry. Is that expecting too much, to have a top 25 back?

Number19

Hall of Fame
I think you need to lower that expectation to 4 yards per carry. Currently, 11 backs average 5 or more yards per carry, while about 24 average 4 or more.

Either way, it's a helluva lot more than we're getting.
Yes, you are correct. I was just about to edit. My original comment was without taking number of carries into account. My revised number was going to be 4.0 - 4.2, somewhere in that range.

I’ve heard people say that for years.
FACTS, I know Im not the only one that has heard this....and Im def not the one calling us that. I defend our Texans at every turn. But that is the perception of our fans...and after being in the military and doing govt contracts and being all over the world for the past 25+ years thats what other sports fan call us....those are just plain cold hard facts.

And if you think thats bad...you should hear what they call the cowgirls fans...LMAO.

Last edited:
You are focusing/commenting on a few plays in one game. Take these few plays out and yes it would change averages, but not much. Why don't you do what you suggest?

Here are his game averages for the season:
Game 1....3.5
Game 2....2.1
Game 3....2.2
Game 4....3.4
Game 5....3.3

Heard a logical comment on 610 this morning. Singletary got zero attempts against the Falcons. He should be getting a dozen carries. If the Texans rushing problem falls on the RB, giving Singletary more carries would give more insight into the problem and the solution.
I agree. Singletary fits that mold better than DP and is supposed to be the complimentary back...why he isnt being used that way...I have no idea. Against a sideline to sideline defense we should be using the scat back vs the powerback.

Texansballer74

The Marine
FACTS, I know Im not the only one that has heard this....and Im def not the one calling us that. I defend our Texans at every turn. But that is the perception of our fans...and after being in the military and doing govt contracts and being all over the world for the past 25+ years thats what other sports fan call us....those are just plain cold hard facts.
Brother I use to argue my homie down about that until I started hearing it my self. Then I started seeing what they we’re seeing when it came to Houston fans. We’re up there with Philly and New York fans. Brother every fan base acts out like that as well.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Brother I use to argue my homie down about that until I started hearing it my self. Then I started seeing what they we’re seeing when it came to Houston fans. We’re up there with Philly and New York fans. Brother every fan base acts out like that as well.
As to what "other fans" think, if they like us, that's fine, but if they hate us that's even better. :lol:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

And if you think thats bad...you should hear what they call the cowgirls fans...LMAO.
Truth is these are the McNair's Texans, they aren't our Texans, they just wear a piece of laundry that says Houston on it and that's what Texans fans root for.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I’ve heard people say that for years.
Who? Because I've been stationed all over this country...have posted on numerous sports boards.. NO ONE ever said we were A. Fickle or B. Trash.

..and the facts don't bear it out either. For one, if we were "fickle" we wouldn't of sold out the damn stadium (with a waiting list) for all those years when the organization barely gave us jack crap to root for.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Even JJ never really broke out until towards the end of his rookie year.
Good grief, let's give the lad some time!

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I don't know if Cj is ready to check in & out of plays like that.
I dont know how much freedom he has, but i heard in an interview today where he was talking about that td pass to schultz to go ahead, he said that he saw something in their defense and had Schultz make an adjustment to his route.

He said he told Slowik on the sideline he was thinking about making the adjustment and slowik told him to trust his instincts basically.

Got in the huddle and told Schultz what to do. Said Dalton was confused at first but understood what he wanted him to do and it ended up being a td.

So he has some kind of input, but not sure how far his reach goes.

Decim8

Veteran
Truth is these are the McNair's Texans, they aren't our Texans, they just wear a piece of laundry that says Houston on it and that's what Texans fans root for.
I’m kind of confused with this way of thinking, so when do they become “our Texans”??? Is it When they win a Super Bowl? When the owners do what the fans want?

I wasn’t around for the oilers so the Texans became the only football team I’ve ever supported/follow….and I’ve always considered them to be “my Texans”

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I’m kind of confused with this way of thinking, so when do they become “our Texans”??? Is it When they win a Super Bowl? When the owners do what the fans want?

I wasn’t around for the oilers so the Texans became the only football team I’ve ever supported/follow….and I’ve always considered them to be “my Texans”
I've always considered them Houston's Texans... like the Astros are Houston's Astros, owner be damned

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Never

Just like the Stros are Jim Crane's team, we just root for name on the jersey.