Texans random thought of the day

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Nov 8, 2010.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Not even close.

TexansBull and steelbtexan like this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Agreed. It’s notneven close IMO. That’s a position we need to add depth to this offseason.

austins23 and steelbtexan like this.
  3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

2018 Texans review: Running backs
    Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Jan. 12, 2019 Updated: Jan. 12, 2019 11:10 a.m.

Fifth in a series

Stonewalled at every turn, the Texans’ running game pulled off a disappearing act late in the season that overshadowed an extremely strong start.

It got ugly and one-dimensional starting in December during a loss to the Indianapolis Colts that snapped a nine-game winning streak. Quarterback Deshaun Watson became the primary running threat in the final six games capped by a wild-card playoff game loss to the Colts.

The offensive line and tight ends had substandard run blocking after the Texans averaged 140 rushing yards during the first dozen games. There was no real explanation why other than not picking up blitzing safeties and not adapting to a crowded line of scrimmage. And the backs were incapable of breaking tackles or making defenders miss.

All of the above facts doesn’t mean that veteran running back Lamar Miller isn’t a capable runner, though. Miller was named to his first Pro Bowl.

Losing weight and getting more explosive in the offseason was the goal. And Miller delivered, rushing for 973 yards and five touchdowns and caught 25 passes for 163 yards and a score despite missing two games. He rushed for over 100 yards four times to tie a single-season career-high.

He had a 97 yard touchdown run in a win over the Tennessee Titans, the longest run in franchise history.

“Look, I think Lamar ran hard and I think we did a pretty good job of managing Lamar’s reps,” Texans coach Bill O’Brien said. “We gave him a couple games off when he was injured. He was injured, he had ribs and ankle. We’ve used him a lot in the years that he’s been here. He’s a great pro. I love Lamar. I thought he had a really solid year.”

A year ago, former University of Texas star D'Onta Foreman suffered a serious injury when he ruptured his Achilles tendon while scoring a touchdown against the Arizona Cardinals.

It wound up taking the Texas City native over a year to play in a game again as he returned against the Philadelphia Eagles and caught a touchdown pass while also rushing for minus-one yards on seven carries.

The long recovery was frustrating for the Texans and Foreman and prevented him from making an impact this season.

O'Brien expressed confidence that the former consensus All-American and Doak Walker award winner still has a bright future heading into his third NFL season.

"Look, D’Onta Foreman’s obviously a very talented guy, but it took him forever to come back from his injury," O'Brien said. "So, hopefully with a good offseason, here’s a guy that can really, really be an excellent player in this league. I have a lot of belief in his ability, in D’Onta Foreman’s ability.

"I know he’s from right down here and he wants to be a Houston Texan and he wants to play well. I think he’s somebody that can help us."

THE REST OF THE STORY

Texansballer74 likes this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Man, Anderson is looking good tonight.

People say he's not a good teammate. But give me not a good teammate and a hard running 225 Lb RB who would be the perfect compliment to Miller. Cant trust Foreman to make it back from that injury.

5. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/1067229850358804486?s=09

Was this play the one that ultimately did for the Texans' season?

I know Matheiu has lobbied hard against the suggestion that this was a busted coverage, but whatever got put on tape here, other offenses began to utilise against our D to the point where everyone was beating us constantly.

PapaL, CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Next years schedule has the Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, and Patriots as away games. Our home schedule isn't as scary as the road schedule is though. I hope ole Bob has a better plan for next year.

ObsiWan, KA4Texan and JB like this.
  7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Almost. We have the Patriots at NRG for a change, and Tapa on the road (which is going to be tough with Arians there) but still

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/the-game/opponents-determined-for-the-2019-nfl-season/

AFC SOUTH
    1. Houston Texans Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders
    Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    2. Indianapolis Colts Home: Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders
    Away: Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, New Orleans Saints, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    3. Tennessee Titans Home: Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Chargers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Away: Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  8. CloakNNNdagger

Watch Cunningham.

9. infantrycak

Your point?

Sometimes you're terrier on a bone. Just chew for chew's sake.

By the way, made the best vegetable stew the other day (beets, turnips, yams, collards, kale, onions, poblanas & serranos). Words which never would have been uttered before you. Thx

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

What was he doing.

He's supposed to go with the TE and release him to the S. He took false steps and generally looked like a drunk stumbling around on the street. Not that there's anything wrong with that being a drunk on the street, but it's not a good look at all for a supposed coverage NFL LB.

RAC has tried to use Cunningham that way, but it's obvious he's not up to the job and this isn't just one play, it's been a theme throughout the season.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

12. infantrycak

Stop hitting the reply button like a gerbil looking for a treat.

DocBar and JB like this.
  13. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Where's the MEAT???

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

It's a common failing... I've even noticed mod's doing it recently :stirpot:

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Dont tell me what to do

16. CloakNNNdagger

That was my point.

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

C'mon man, I know you're older than 14

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It's a site glitch, something we have to live with.

Cak just likes attempting to mess with me. #Notgonnawork

JB likes this.
  19. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

It's an easily overcome glitch

thunderkyss likes this.
  20. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Really interested in seeing what Gaine tries to do to fix secondary this offseason. Colvin was a bust signing. Doesn’t get any worse than having a high dollar FA signing at a position of need be a healthy inactive in a playoff game against an offense that shredded your secondary twice during the season.

Would have liked to see Vance Joseph come back to coach DBs but a position coach gig is too far a step down from HC. At any rate Midget should be relieved of DB coach duties at minimum.