Texans random thought of the day

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Andre Reed's foot was out on one of those TD's

turtle mode does not win that game. defense was getting torched. Offense needed to step up and make plays it needed to become a shootout and the offense just fell apart (everybody did, but the offense of the first half just disappeared) getting anxiety just reliving that game.

2. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

What started the comeback was sloppy, overly aggressive and stupid play by the defense aided by some bad calls by the zebras.
    I agree the offense didn't show up in the second half and they shouldn't have abandoned what they were doing in the first half and kept the foot on the pedal. That said, if the defense had played a more conservative, dont let them get the big play, more, I think the hill would have been to big for the Bill's to climb. One problem was that run and shoot team was not built for grind it out/eat up the clock offense. Should have kept the hammer down on offense and played smarter prevent on defense.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    steelbtexan and Uncle Rico like this.
  3. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

The defense went to prevent mode in the second half, if they had stayed aggressive it would have turned out differently.

JB and OptimisticTexan like this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is what lead to Buddy Ryan's hiring.

JB likes this.
  5. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

And Fred, I’m talking purely defense.

The run and shoot offense always pissed me off for its lack of running game.

Run the ball and we don’t lose that game at all.

6. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Yep, I’d trade that for an all Texas super bowl that year.

JB and steelbtexan like this.
  7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The Oilers were the most talented team in the NFL that yr. After the Oilers/Cowboys scrimmaged that yr Jimmy Johnson talked about how talented the Oilers were.

If the Oilers hadn't blown the Buffalo game both the Oilers (They would still be here) and the Cowboys (Maybe not back to back SB champs) could have been so much different.

It's odd how looking back how much was riding on the 35-3 debacle.

macho grande likes this.
  8. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

I'm not a fan of turtle mode, but Bill O'Brien is now 30-1 when leading at half time. I think he gets the benefit of the doubt on his strategy.

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Agreed, but it's kinda hard to run the ball with no TE's on the roster. Also having no TE's on the roster really hurts the ST's.

macho grande likes this.
  10. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I was so glad when we finally got a TE on that team!

steelbtexan likes this.

11. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Agreed. The difference today, WR's are much much bigger, fast and more physical than in the past. The game now favors the passing game and defenses can't target receivers.....much like Buddy Ryan did on Monday Night Football when the Oilers and Eagles played. That POS had put bounties on the receivers! Also, today's game features TE's that are like hybrid WR's only they possess the size and physical abilities to do the dirty work on the OL.

Could a modified version of the Run-N-Shoot work in today's NFL? Hell yeah it could b/c the NFL Rules Committee has damn near made every new rule to favor a team willing to exploit the passing game. It's been 20+ years since an NFL team has ran a full air assault offense.....could be fun to see how fast or if DC's could defend it? Also give me a solid running game (Bell, a healthy Foreman plus Blue) and defenses would have to be 100% aware of the running backs who could have a field day once they break the line of scrimmage.

steelbtexan likes this.
  12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

13. CloakNNNdagger

14. CloakNNNdagger

15. CloakNNNdagger

Texans PR‏Verified account@TexansPR 25m25 minutes ago

#Texans[​IMG] RB Lamar Miller (876), RB Alfred Blue (446) and QB Deshaun Watson (375) have each recorded more than 350 rushing yards, which marks the first time in team history that the Texans have three players with at least 350 rushing yards in the same season.

[​IMG]

16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

So Deshaun is setting team records for passing. Lamar is on his way to a 1000 yard season.

Seems like the offensive line isn't the red headed step child it was to start the season. Account for Davenport and you can succeed with this bunch. It's been a mano y mano running style so it isn't scheme related .. these guys just got tired of getting their tails whipped and I commend them for answering the challenge against some of the tougher defenses.

17. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Today's modern offenses actually borrow alot from the run and shoot.

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams...forgott-cult-new-englands-run-shoot-concepts/

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  18. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Myles Garrett only had 3 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 QB hits. Not good, but definitely not bad against the likes of Myles. I'd call it a successful day, especially with as bad as many folks think our tackles are.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

BOB has adjusted to the OT play quite well.

He keeps a TE in on most plays to help the OT's. Wherever the best pass rusher lines up you will see a TE over there helping out on most plays.

Kudos to BOB for overcoming a weakness by scheming. You know like most on this MB have been requesting him to do.

9 games and counting. Good news is if they can keep Watson healthy this yr they should be a true contender next yr.

noxiousdog, JB and austins23 like this.
  20. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Blitz pickup was fantastic that game however. I forgot to mention the RBs in their blocking progression also they were pathetic at the beginning of the season.

Garret is a special athlete .. he will find ways to best you.