Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Obviously the Patriots don't value doing everything they can to protect Brady.

Missed the point. This is a Texans issue and not a Patriots issue.

Are the Texans doing everything possible to obtain the best OL talent outside the draft?

Could the Texans have done better in identifying talent with their draft resources?

Have the Texans done a good job of obtaining and drafting the OL pieces needed to execute the teams desired blocking scheme?

Have the Texans coached-up their talent since their high draft pick investments have predominantly panned out to be been failures?

A lot of folks jump steelbtexans for bringing this topic up far too much but in all reality, folks will jump on his bandwagon if Watson does go down with another season ending injury b/c of bad OL talent.

Me, I'm willing to give this new unit a few games together before I become critical or satisfied with their play. I just hope the Texans off-season moves yield 2-3 solid starting pieces and 2 solid rotational backups. If this can happen, Watson probably has a very nice season and the table is set for the team as far as what they need to add in regards to OL in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Yes the Texans has done everything to acquire good to great offensive lineman. Unfortunately things hasn't worked out under Bill O'Brien in that department. There are various reasons to why it hasn't happened yet Optimistic. From O'brien's high tech scheme, to injuries and to busted picks. Also throw in the fact that they were on that cuff in the draft picking order that didn't allow them higher picks. Throw in all the different QB'S we had to work with in that short period of time and every darn year. Each having different skillsets and all.

Now that we have our franchise QB and if he can stay healthy. Let's see how this line performs for here on out.

The Texans have worked out 27 year-old journeyman QB quarterback Garrett Gilbert. Been with 4 teams.

The Texans also worked out OTs Aaron Evans, Justin Evans, David Steinmetz and Taylor Hart.
Aaron Evans is a rookie who was a 3-year starter @ LT for UCF. URFA released by the Eagles who certainly have better OLine personell than the Texans
so never know.

The only first round offensive lineman the Texans drafted went on to be an all pro. Fancy that.

Then they got into some stupid difference over when the GM prioritizes re-signing future FA's. Hear that gunshot.....went right through RS's foot. This is the best OL the Texans ever drafted, developed and watched him become an All Pro at of all positions, LT.....the QB's blindside protector.

What was needed to keep this guy happy and on board to finish his contract out was well within the means of the team. If it really came down to philosophical issues caused by McNair and RS unwilling to budge from his stance in regards to negotiating the guaranteed balance...then this might be the reason this team has only been able to field an above average OL about 3 times since their 16 year existence.

Now it's Gaine's turn to maybe do something special that past 2 GM's failed to accomplish.

Last edited:
My random Texans thought - Ordered a few more jerseys from China, already cleared US customs, should be in this weekend. If the quality is as good as the DW4 color rush from last season, I'll share the link.

On a side related note, I'm doing a group buy (Kaepernick with some of my boys. Thankfully I've known these dudes a long time otherwise after the group buy here I wouldn't be doing it.

My random Texans thought - Ordered a few more jerseys from China, already cleared US customs, should be in this weekend. If the quality is as good as the DW4 color rush from last season, I'll share the link.

On a side related note, I'm doing a group buy (Kaepernick with some of my boys. Thankfully I've known these dudes a long time otherwise after the group buy here I wouldn't be doing it.

So, is the Coupon Code.....Kaepernick or Kneel? LOL!

Are the Texans doing everything possible to obtain the best OL talent outside the draft?

Could the Texans have done better in identifying talent with their draft resources?

Have the Texans done a good job of obtaining and drafting the OL pieces needed to execute the teams desired blocking scheme?

Have the Texans coached-up their talent since their high draft pick investments have predominantly panned out to be been failures?

A lot of folks jump steelbtexans for bringing this topic up far too much but in all reality, folks will jump on his bandwagon if Watson does go down with another season ending injury b/c of bad OL talent.

Me, I'm willing to give this new unit a few games together before I become critical or satisfied with their play. I just hope the Texans off-season moves yield 2-3 solid starting pieces and 2 solid rotational backups. If this can happen, Watson probably has a very nice season and the table is set for the team as far as what they need to add in regards to OL in the 2019 NFL Draft.

no people are jumping on steelb because he constantly wants to blame our poor oline on McNair because he think McNair is refusing to let his GMs spend money so he can pocket it all. You can criticize our oline that's fair, its vastly unproven. to say we would have signed Norwell and Solder, but McNair rather pocket a few extra million is dumb

no people are jumping on steelb because he constantly wants to blame our poor oline on McNair because he think McNair is refusing to let his GMs spend money so he can pocket it all. You can criticize our oline that's fair, its vastly unproven. to say we would have signed Norwell and Solder, but McNair rather pocket a few extra million is dumb

Nope they are criticizing me because since 2010, I've said McNair is calling the shots when it comes to $$$$ that's spent on his franchise (As it should be) and bringing a championship to this city is low on his priority list. My opinion has been formed over the last decade and a half of watching how he has run his business. That hasn't changed since Gaine took over.

Would McNair like to win a SB? Of course he would. Is it the thing that keeps him up at night trying to figure out what he could do differently to bring a championship to this city? Nope.

Things like NFL finance, which he's on the finance committee and the Kaep crap that's cutting into his revenue is what keeps him up at night.

Nope they are criticizing me because since 2010, I've said McNair is calling the shots when it comes to $$$$ that's spent on his franchise (As it should be) and bringing a championship to this city is low on his priority list. My opinion has been formed over the last decade and a half of watching how he has run his business. That hasn't changed since Gaine took over.

Would McNair like to win a SB? Of course he would. Is it the thing that keeps him up at night trying to figure out what he could do differently to bring a championship to this city? Nope.

Things like NFL finance, which he's on the finance committee and the Kaep crap that's cutting into his revenue is what keeps him up at night.

it is a business every single NFL owner wants to make money, every single NFL owner has shown that. to say McNair is refusing to spend money he is contractually obligated to spend per the CBA makes you lose any credibility

Kraft and Lowrie are also members if the finance committee, do they only worry about their money too? you constantly want to claim the patriots are the exception to the rule, when they have been the model franchise for almost 2 decades running now. Blowing your wad and being a big spender rarely leads to long term success

Yes the Texans has done everything to acquire good to great offensive lineman. Unfortunately things hasn't worked out under Bill O'Brien in that department. There are various reasons to why it hasn't happened yet Optimistic. From O'brien's high tech scheme, to injuries and to busted picks. Also throw in the fact that they were on that cuff in the draft picking order that didn't allow them higher picks. Throw in all the different QB'S we had to work with in that short period of time and every darn year. Each having different skillsets and all.

Now that we have our franchise QB and if he can stay healthy. Let's see how this line performs for here on out.

These are all just a bunch of excuses. I notice that you didn't mention they man that put together last yrs OL, of which there isn't one guy that was starting that's still in the NFL this yr.

Last yrs OL was obviously a talent issue and the man that did the picking of the talent is now gone because of his choices. This is really simple, hopefully the new man will do a better job since he has a clue as to what his HC is looking for in an OL. Being honest since you think the owner isn't calling the shots I'm truly bothered by the fact that the new guy went cheap on fixing the OL. That's not deniable after looking at the chart CnD posted.

Hopefully you're right and a bunch of backups were just looking for a chance and have come here to form a cohesive OL that can turn into a middle of the pack OL. The problem with that is the middle of the pack is a term which stands for mediocrity which seems to be the gold standard for the Texans and the fans should expect better from the Texans org.

Kraft and Lowrie are also members if the finance committee, do they only worry about their money too? you constantly want to claim the patriots are the exception to the rule, when they have been the model franchise for almost 2 decades running now. Blowing your wad and being a big spender rarely leads to long term success

They get by with their model of business because they have the greatest HC of all time, who has total control over the Pats org. (Excluding the Brady power play to get rid of Jimmy G) and the GOAT QB. Surely you can see the difference between the 2 franchises.

it is a business every single NFL owner wants to make money, every single NFL owner has shown that. to say McNair is refusing to spend money he is contractually obligated to spend per the CBA makes you lose any credibility

Contractually obligated yes,

He's on the extreme low end of contractually obligated. There's a big difference between doing what's contractually obligated and doing everything possible to put the best product on the field within those contractual obligations.

There's the rub and what's been the issue with the Texans since 2010.

These are all just a bunch of excuses. I notice that you didn't mention they man that put together last yrs OL, of which there isn't one guy that was starting that's still in the NFL this yr.

Last yrs OL was obviously a talent issue and the man that did the picking of the talent is now gone because of his choices. This is really simple, hopefully the new man will do a better job since he has a clue as to what his HC is looking for in an OL. Being honest since you think the owner isn't calling the shots I'm truly bothered by the fact that the new guy went cheap on fixing the OL. That's not deniable after looking at the chart CnD posted.

Hopefully you're right and a bunch of backups were just looking for a chance and have come here to form a cohesive OL that can turn into a middle of the pack OL. The problem with that is the middle of the pack is a term which stands for mediocrity which seems to be the gold standard for the Texans and the fans should expect better from the Texans org.

No it's not. Those are facts. You're too involved emotionally to the point of no return. Every season since I've been on here all you do is complain. When we don't align up with your agenda it's all excuses. Whenever they don't acquire the players you want, oh they are not doing their jobs of putting a contenders product on the field.

Last edited:
No it's not. Those are facts. You're too involved emotionally to the point of no return. Every season since I've been on here a you do is complain. When we don't align up with your agenda it's all excuses. Whenever they don't acquire the players you want, oh they are not doing their jobs of putting a contenders product on the field.

It's not any particular player, it's the philosophy that I disagree with and yes those are excuses.

Dont run off the road.

BTW, the people have been jumping on me since 2010 and my message has been the same.

Unless the Texans change the way they go about acquiring talent they will never bring a championship to this city.

Thx, a man who gets it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

He's on the extreme low end of contractually obligated. There's a big difference between doing what's contractually obligated and doing everything possible to put the best product on the field within those contractual obligations.

it has been pointed out to you that the texans are quite often spending well above league average with their salary cap. So he is definitely not on the low side of contractually obligated.

McNair hires a GM and a HC to make free agent and draft decisions, blame the lack fo spending in them this year if you want but that is a narrow sighted view. the roster other than top level talent was a mess, we all knew it would take more than 1 off season to fix it but you, you cannot grasp that concept. McNair at the end of the day is a very good businessman correct? Do you think he doesnt realize a good long term investment when he sees one? Do you think he doesnt know he has to protect valuable assets? You saying McNair is the reason Gaine didnt completely revamp our line with all the highest priced free agents shows how narrow sighted you are in your own personal bias.

it has been pointed out to you that the texans are quite often spending well above league average with their salary cap. So he is definitely not on the low side of contractually obligated.

McNair hires a GM and a HC to make free agent and draft decisions, blame the lack fo spending in them this year if you want but that is a narrow sighted view. the roster other than top level talent was a mess, we all knew it would take more than 1 off season to fix it but you, you cannot grasp that concept. McNair at the end of the day is a very good businessman correct? Do you think he doesnt realize a good long term investment when he sees one? Do you think he doesnt know he has to protect valuable assets? You saying McNair is the reason Gaine didnt completely revamp our line with all the highest priced free agents shows how narrow sighted you are in your own personal bias.

I was the 1st one who said it would take 3 yrs to clean up Ricky's mess.

I'm talking about McNair's philosophy and how it will never bring a championship to this city. Look at it this way. I've already posted this somewhere.

No top 5 in spending 2 top 10 in spending 3 20's are below in spending. Where we disagree is that McNair sets his yearly budget on how much his GM can spend in FA.

FFS pay attention to facts for once in your life. The Texans are not now and never have been anywhere near the minimun spending limit (89% over 4 years).

Amount of unused cap by year:

2017 5.7%
2016 3.1%
2015 1.1%
2014 0.7%

FFS pay attention to facts for once in your life. The Texans are not now and never have been anywhere near the minimun spending limit (89% over 4 years).

Amount of unused cap by year:

2017 5.7%
2016 3.1%
2015 1.1%
2014 0.7%

Look at where they rank in the league not at the %.

do you really think a multi billionaire cares that much about a few extra million that he would hamstring his team, that if he didnt could in turn make him way more money?

do you ever tire of being the joke on this forum?

Nope, that doesn't make sense. If 20 teams are crammed into 1.1% of cap space the spending difference is meaningless. That was $1.4 mil of unused cap (which rolled). That's not even a journeyman player.

2017 was the 1st time they carried enough money over you could argue they passed on a significant player.

Your multi-year beotch about not spending is flat wrong.

do you really think a multi billionaire cares that much about a few extra million that he would hamstring his team, that if he didnt could in turn make him way more money?

do you ever tire of being the joke on this forum?

I do, that's how they become billionaires.

The jokes on you, my message hasn't changed since 2010.

Many have come to see the light. You can choose ignore history if wish.

I'm going to bow out.

Fact the Texans have never been a contender and never will be until they change the way they acquire talent. Unless they get really lucky and stay extremely healthy.

I'm going to bow out.

Fact the Texans have never been a contender and never will be until they change the way they acquire talent. Unless they get really lucky and stay extremely healthy.
Health is key.
Texans are due a healthy year ot two after the run of bad luck they've been through recent years.
If our key players can stay on the field, this team will be there in the playoffs.

I'm going to bow out.

you said that last week, and then a day later started again just take the L and drop it for good this time. you've been proven wrong numerous times on all your claims

New Texans rookie running back Buddy Howell is a downhill runner.

He's decisive and physical.

"I just try to get yards, I don't waste too much time bouncing around," said Howell, who joined the Texans this week off waivers from the Miami Dolphins. "I can get to the edge if I need to. I can catch the ball. A lot of people know me as a bruiser.

"I'm hard-nosed running between the tackles. I can see myself doing anything they ask me to do."
link

Nope, that doesn't make sense. If 20 teams are crammed into 1.1% of cap space the spending difference is meaningless. That was $1.4 mil of unused cap (which rolled). That's not even a journeyman player.

2017 was the 1st time they carried enough money over you could argue they passed on a significant player.

Your multi-year beotch about not spending is flat wrong.

also it's incredibly illogical to use overall spending as your measure when cap space rolls over from year to year. If the cap is set at 175 million, and 10 teams rolls over 20 million from the previous season that you could not and all 10 of those teams now spend that money you are outside the top 10 in overall spending even though you are maximizing your cap space

also it's incredibly illogical to use overall spending as your measure when cap space rolls over from year to year. If the cap is set at 175 million, and 10 teams rolls over 20 million from the previous season that you could not and all 10 of those teams now spend that money you are outside the top 10 in overall spending even though you are maximizing your cap space

Good point. Like the Jags who didn't spend for years and so rolled massive amounts.

The Jags rolled $27.7 mil from 2017 to 2018 (Texans $9.9 mil). They rolled $39.3 mil from 2016 to 2017 (Texans $4.9). They rolled $32.7 mil from 2015 to 2016 (Texans $1.4 mil).

Man the Jags sure are dedicated.

Eagles rolled $7.9 mil 2016 to 2017, $7.3 mil 2015 to 2016 and $15.7 mil 2014 to 2015.

you said that last week, and then a day later started again just take the L and drop it for good this time. you've been proven wrong numerous times on all your claims

Facts are the facts this team hasn't ever done sh!t. If that's taking an L then that's on them not me. They need to spend $$$$ like the winning teams do and change the way they go about acquiring players.

With that said, this team is a SB team if they stay completely healthy. (Highly unlikely) I would give that about a 5% chance of happening.

There's one mans opinion.

I'm of the opinion that any owner that cared about winning 1st and foremost wouldn't have kept Ricky around for 2 regimes and over a decade.

he wouldn't have been the first owner to get duped by a smooth talking GM, he got rid of Rick. This is a new regime let's actually give them a chance, i.e more than 1 handicapped offseason, before you start crying McNair is handcuffing them

Facts are the facts this team hasn't ever done sh!t. If that's taking an L then that's on them not me. They need to spend $$$$ like the winning teams do and change the way they go about acquiring players.

With that said, this team is a SB team if they stay completely healthy. (Highly unlikely) I would give that about a 5% chance of happening.

lol they made changes to their entire FO this offseason so they way they go about acquiring players will change, you cant just look at 1 off season.

But no you can take the L because you are dead set that the texans will always suck with the mcnair's yet you keep supporting them and giving them money.

lol they made changes to their entire FO this offseason so they way they go about acquiring players will change, you cant just look at 1 off season.

But no you can take the L because you are dead set that the texans will always suck with the mcnair's yet you keep supporting them and giving them money.

Wrong

Back