Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I suspect DeMeco wants LBs with 32”+ arms.
That may be true, but is it a hard and fast rule (like the S2 once was)? Jack Campbell has sub 32" arms and the Lions took him in the 1st round. Ditto Micah Parsons and Patrick Queen. Blake Cashman had 30" arms, but had good production last season. But the Texans did not re-sign him.

I don't think Payton Wilson's arm length will bother everyone. His double digit surgeries since high school could bother teams a lot. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Maybe. But keep in mind our Christian Harris ran a 4.44 with a 1.54 ten yd split. Same 34.5” vertical to Wilson but Harris Broad jump was 11” to Wilson’s 9’11”… and Harris dropped to the 3rd round without the medical history.

Did not have the same level of production as Wilson but he was a three year starter at Bama who played his best football in the biggest games (SEC and National championship). He also did not have Wilson’s injury history.

All that being said, I suspect Wilson will be closer to pick 59 than 42 when its all said and done.
Good info. I wondered about this some but just didn't check it out. I also had some thoughts about his positioning in the draft., whether he's first taken or second. Think I just may go back and review Harris' profile.

Just took a quick dive and compared Wilson to recent profiles of LBs and also CBs, Sauce & Sting among them. He holds up very well. His meds may drive him down, but if film study shows competence as a nickle, I'd take him for that role. Then when we dropped into a 43 package he could slide into SAM. No give away as to how we would line up.

It's possible to end up with Newton, Wilson and with a little luck Sainristil. Trade up from 2-59 using next year's 1st for Newton.

Pick 2-42 Wilson

3-86 Sainristil.

It seems as after round one, analysts have players all over mocks; more so than last draft.

Players are as much as an entire round different. I doubt it occurs:

42 Johnny Newton
59 Payton Wilson
86 Mike Sainristil
4.123 Khyree Jackson
4.127 Kris Abrams-Draine

Edit: McKinstry at 42 would be acceptable. 😄

Last edited:
It seems as after round one, analysts have players all over mocks; more so than last draft.

Players are as much as an entire round different. I doubt it occurs:

42 Johnny Newton
59 Payton Wilson
86 Mike Sainristil
4.123 Khyree Jackson
4.127 Kris Abrams-Draine

This is a strangely deep draft class. As you stated, players are being moved up and down analyst list(s). I truly believe teams are going to find Day 1 starters littered all over RD3 and RD4.

I’m also thinking this QB class is a bit overrated. If I had to pick the top QB….it’s probably Jaden Daniels (LSU). If I were to pick him, then I’d make whatever move necessary to get his favorite target in either WR- Malik Nabers or WR- Brian Thomas Jr.

Caserio and Ryans could entertain a trade out of 42 as well b/c of the available talent. I’d be pretty pleased if they could this pick into 2 to 3 nice picks between 60 and 135. I tried this in a mock….got
(3) from the Cardinals and still had LB- Payton Wilson (NC State) there for the taking at 59. If Wilson gets a solid thumbs up regarding his medical clearance, he’s probably not on the board late in RD2.

This is a strangely deep draft class. As you stated, players are being moved up and down analyst list(s). I truly believe teams are going to find Day 1 starters littered all over RD3 and RD4.

I’m also thinking this QB class is a bit overrated. If I had to pick the top QB….it’s probably Jaden Daniels (LSU). If I were to pick him, then I’d make whatever move necessary to get his favorite target in either WR- Malik Nabers or WR- Brian Thomas Jr.

Caserio and Ryans could entertain a trade out of 42 as well b/c of the available talent. I’d be pretty pleased if they could this pick into 2 to 3 nice picks between 60 and 135. I tried this in a mock….got
(3) from the Cardinals and still had LB- Payton Wilson (NC State) there for the taking at 59. If Wilson gets a solid thumbs up regarding his medical clearance, he’s probably not on the board late in RD2.
I posted somewhere that if I were Chicago I would trade down from number one end up getting Daniels plus a boat load of extra pics. Then trade down from number nine and end up with Brian Thomas as my main pic and probably picking up a couple more pics there. If the Bears GM is anywhere near as good as Nick and I'm not saying he is, this could be a turnaround offseason for Chicago.

People all over the country seem to agree that this is an extraordinarily deep draft especially in the positions that Houston could use. I think either Wilson, Edgerrin Cooper or Colson could be available at 59 and I expect Nick to play off of that. I also could see him choosing a day three linebacker that is not projected to start immediately. I still think TOA TOA is going to be an adequate if not much better starter than some think.

Az not only team with 3 thirds. Washington 67, 78 and 100.

Washington: 2.42 + 4.127 +6.188 & 189

Houston: 67, 78 100

59 for Peyton Wilson.

What is a Demeco Ryans defensive line type? He was only the 3 yrs and they didn't draft a dl when he was the dc. Those players he coached were already there. So what kind of does he prefer?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I posted somewhere that if I were Chicago I would trade down from number one end up getting Daniels plus a boat load of extra pics. Then trade down from number nine and end up with Brian Thomas as my main pic and probably picking up a couple more pics there. If the Bears GM is anywhere near as good as Nick and I'm not saying he is, this could be a turnaround offseason for Chicago.

People all over the country seem to agree that this is an extraordinarily deep draft especially in the positions that Houston could use. I think either Wilson, Edgerrin Cooper or Colson could be available at 59 and I expect Nick to play off of that. I also could see him choosing a day three linebacker that is not projected to start immediately. I still think TOA TOA is going to be an adequate if not much better starter than some think.

Az not only team with 3 thirds. Washington 67, 78 and 100.

Washington: 2.42 + 4.127 +6.188 & 189

Houston: 67, 78 100

59 for Peyton Wilson.
I would keep the #9 pick for a nasty azz OL to protect the passer.

I would keep the #9 pick for a nasty azz OL to protect the passer.
I think that's possible with Bears not having a round 2. In my scenario, one of those extra trade down picks would get one. It seems everyone is saying that Washington will get Jayden Daniels with pick two so if the Bears agree, there is no reason for them to not take Caleb Williams I guess.

I think that's possible with Bears not having a round 2. In my scenario, one of those extra trade down picks would get one. It seems everyone is saying that Washington will get Jayden Daniels with pick two so if the Bears agree, there is no reason for them to not take Caleb Williams I guess.
Williams is the best QB in this class. Natural passer of the football and a serious threat with his legs.
Genuine dual threat.
Can you imagine the feedback/backlash from Bears fans if Bears pass on him and he turns out to be a top 5 QB?

Last edited:
Williams is the best QB in this class. Natural passer of the football and a serious threat with his legs.
Genuine dual threat.
Can you imagine the feedback from Bears fans if Bears pass on him and he turns out to be a top 5 QB?
Daniels is the best qb in this draft. There isn't anything Williams does better than Daniels. Especially with his legs

Daniels is the best qb in this draft. There isn't anything Williams does better than Daniels. Especially with his legs

Williams is Derrick II without the perv stuff.

As a player he's exciting and can make off schedule plays. But isn't consistent on a regular down in down out basis. Plus he's a David from the place that cant be mentioned on this forum because of mods not following the rules client.

Williams is Derrick II without the perv stuff.

As a player he's exciting and can make off schedule plays. But isn't consistent on a regular down in down out basis. Plus he's a David from the place that cant be mentioned on this forum because of mods not following the rules client.
Agree, he is a good playmaker not player. His intangibles seem weak. No way i take him 1.1

What is a Demeco Ryans defensive line type? He was only the 3 yrs and they didn't draft a dl when he was the dc. Those players he coached were already there. So what kind of does he prefer?

Demeco likes DLmen who can penetrate their gaps and get up-field in his 4-3 Over base defense, but the D plays some of the highest 4-2-5 (nickel) percentage in the league. He likes to bring in fresh starters, so the DL is much more of a rotational position, and of course leads to the "swarm" defensive mindset where everyone flows to the ball. I think this style elevates the 3-tech DL position where athletic ability is as important as size/strength at that position (hence Denico Autry.)

If the Texans look to draft another 3-tech, this is a very deep draft for that sort of player all the way into the 3rd round. It also makes the Azeez Al-Shaair signing valuable, as your MLB has to be able to shed blocks before making a tackle, because your DL is getting up field and not necessarily occupying blockers.

Demeco likes DLmen who can penetrate their gaps and get up-field in his 4-3 Over base defense, but the D plays some of the highest 4-2-5 (nickel) percentage in the league. He likes to bring in fresh starters, so the DL is much more of a rotational position, and of course leads to the "swarm" defensive mindset where everyone flows to the ball. I think this style elevates the 3-tech DL position where athletic ability is as important as size/strength at that position (hence Denico Autry.)

If the Texans look to draft another 3-tech, this is a very deep draft for that sort of player all the way into the 3rd round. It also makes the Azeez Al-Shaair signing valuable, as your MLB has to be able to shed blocks before making a tackle, because your DL is getting up field and not necessarily occupying blockers.
Good post explains our defense.

I saw headline but didn't have time to read article or who produced it, saying Texans should trade for Trey Hendrickson.

Another standout Cincinnati Bengals player would like to go elsewhere.

All-Pro defensive end Trey Hendrickson has requested a trade while in pursuit of a new contract, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. His request comes only a month after wide receiver Tee Higgins' request following the franchise tag.

Only a year ago, Hendrickson signed a one-year contract extension to add to the four-year, $60 million deal he got from the Bengals in free agency. That deal is among the best deals the Bengals have ever signed, as Hendrickson followed up a strong contract year with the New Orleans Saints by remaining one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL.

What type of players has he brought aboard since he has been here?

If I am Chicago I am approaching the Commanders for 2, 36, 40, and a pick next year
I can see asking for that but 2 + 40 alone is more than enough compensation. Wilson may get you 40 and a pick in 2025 IF Wash convinced Wilson is that much better. Bears could consider packaging 1 and 9 to Washington: Bears get 1.2 + 2.36+ 2.40 plus all three round 3s plus a round 3 in 2025? It would certainly put Chicago back in the hunt. Wash gets their WR Thomas and a LT for shiny new QB.

Except the dts he had in 49ers didn't do much of that

Back