Texans promote TE coach Tim Kelly to be the OC

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by zshawn10, Feb 2, 2019.

1. markn

markn Hall of Fame

Is the front office aware that coaches pay doesn't count against the salary cap?

thunderkyss and CWTexansFan like this.
  2. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I actually like the Carl Smith hire.. he did a good job with Russell Wilson.

4. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan likes this.
  5. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

My sentiments exactly.

Earl34 likes this.
  6. txtx

txtx Rookie

I agree, it's more exciting than the other changes. As in it IS somewhat exciting. The rest, including the retaining of Mike Devlin as offensive line coach, reinforces my feeling that O'Brien thinks we're just a solid minor league team chugging along out of sight down on the Gulf Coast, just one playoff win (over Connor Cook) better than Marvin Lewis.

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

8. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Some more context on the Carl Smith hire:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...-heading-to-new-position-with-houston-texans/

Smith had been Seattle’s quarterbacks coach from 2011 to 2017 before moving into a role last season as associate head coach.

In Houston, Smith will not only get to work with Texans’ third-year quarterback Deshaun Watson but also with his son, Tracy, who is Houston’s assistant special teams coordinator.

Smith was moved out of the QB coach role last year when Carroll reorganized the offensive coaching staff in the wake of the firing of offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Dave Canales, who had been receivers coach, took over as QBs coach. Smith, whom it was known Wilson hoped would stay in the organization, was then moved into an associate head coach role.

However, new offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is in charge of the quarterbacks, essentially serving as the coach of that position group, as well, if not holding the actual title.

“The quarterback will always be a focal point in your development and really excited about Schottenheimer coming in and Canales taking a hold of that thing and challenging him like maybe he has never been challenged before. That would be great,” Carroll said last March. “I like the fact that he can connect the play-caller and the quarterback leader, and the guy that’s going to be with him on the field, as well, on a regular basis. I like the fact that … I wanted to make that connection for Russell, so we could communicate directly with him in a little bit different fashion than we have. Dave Canales will work with him, too, of course, but I think Brian brings something that we are looking forward to seeing.”

thunderkyss likes this.
  9. ArlingtonTexan

10. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Want to know more about new #Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly?@aaronjreiss traces his path from coaching a Division II defense to Houston, with a pit stop at Penn State, where Kelly made a presentation that impressed Bill O’Brien. http://theathletic.com/801821

11. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Great story but nothing in there screams to me that he is ready for the job, but hey I've been wrong before.

NastyNate and Earl34 like this.
  12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Yates in on staff? Excellent. We may need him the next time we play the Bengals.

13. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

since turning into the all encompassing coaching..... don't think this has been noted yet.

https://footballmaven.io/texans/new...e439QSlTgrYl-gPMt_nkpMVh0VAfcoN1oPKb1WlEgnPBY

14. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

15. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Since I’m die hard and not going anywhere we shall certainly see.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is what's exciting to me this offseason. They have a real chance to add 3-5 premium talent guys if Gaine nails this offseason. The team isn't that far away from being a true contender. If Gaine has a great offseason I will go as far to say that they will be a contender but not a SB participant next yr. I also dont think their record will be as good next yr even though the team will be in much better shape. 10-6 due to a 1st place schedule.

CWTexansFan and DBCooper like this.
  17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Nothing really screamed that Gaine was ready for the GM job either..In fact, most here panned or were indifferent to the hire b/c they thought he was just going to be a yes man to BoB b/c its who BoB wanted for better “organizational alignment”. Its still early in his tenure, but I don’t think anyone is thinking that about Gaine anymore.

18. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

That's a shame. because so many here too often act like kids. :kitten:

19. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

wrong thread

20. ArlingtonTexan

At least true in one of our cases.

JB likes this.