Texans promote TE coach Tim Kelly to be the OC

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by zshawn10, Feb 2, 2019.

1. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

Putting on my tin hat for a minute I also notice that announcers and various other talking heads are really pushing how scores are up and the game is faster pace and how explosive offenses are, etc. I find it interesting that this is the narrative after ratings dropped so much and everyone was calling it the no fun league.

High scoring games and explosive offenses are fun to watch and get more viewers in. So in 17 we have a low scoring game, a political issue with the whole kneeling thing and almost draconic refs when it came to celebrations. so next year we have no political issues, and you know the owners talked to their teams about that, celebrations back and a very high scoring season. :thinking:

Of course I've been question how much influence the league has over the games ever since that issue with the Rams and Saints. The league pushes for another team in LA to get than Callie money and, boom, all of a sudden they are in the bowl because of a bad ref call that the league can't do anything about......even though the rules actually say they can.

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Not to mention Kubiak knew how to call plays.

If O'Brien was consistently calling plays exploiting whatever defense we played against, he could promote Devlin to OC for all I care.

But he don't & first year head coaches regularly out coach him.

NastyNate and ATXtexanfan like this.
  3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Shouldn't take the bait. Kubiak's offenses scored more when he had a QB that fit his system.

We scored the 2nd most points in team history because we have a qb that throws 3+ TDs a game. Kubiak didn't have that. He had a guy who under threw his receivers on purpose.

NastyNate likes this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Tell me how many yds did Schaub throw for his 1st yr here? Where was he ranked?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I've got no beef against BO'b the HC. I think he's finally instilled some mental toughness in our team.

BO'b the HC is aiight by me.

6. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Imo, O'Brien started with better talent and has faced weaker competition (still heavily reliant on Hopkins and watt from the kubiak era). The best teams in franchise history were the 2011-12 Texans and they had a legit chance to win it all of not for the schaub injury.

Kubiak also proved hes a much better coach in his subsequent stints in Baltimore and Denver.

ObsiWan and infantrycak like this.
  7. BigBull

BigBull All Pro

Except that the division is the best that has ever been top to bottom. This weaker competition view is complete bs. Let’s be honest OB turn the roster over quiet a bit the first two seasons. Maybe there wasn’t as much talent as you think there was. He proved he could take an all star defense and hall of fame qb to a Super Bowl a team that Fox already had knocking on the door of the Super Bowl. He did do a good job as oc in Baltimore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Jake likes this.
  8. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Texans have had some of the weakest schedules under obrien.

Yes there has been roster turnover. Good moves on defense, bad on offense.

NastyNate likes this.
  9. BigBull

BigBull All Pro

At the end of day a head coach’s job is to win and in his first five seasons OB did it better than Kubiak did his first five seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CWTexansFan likes this.
  10. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

But then they got destroyed by a division rival on the playoffs.

I don't think the fact that Kubiak could win a super bowl in his first year is much of a criticism. Yeah it was built by other people but he finished the job. He proved in Houston and Baltimore that be could build good offenses

CWTexansFan, santo and Mangler like this.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Tell me who led the league in passing with the 31st rushing offense. 4770 yds

With wait NOBODY across from AJ. Kevin Walter and OD. Slow white guy and slower white guy.

Somehow they were always open. OB can't do that..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

In a division that has been the worse it’s been overall.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You loved Walter and railed against the Fuller pick. Now all of a sudden Walter was a liability. Kubiak had AJ/AF/OD to work with.. You're making those guys sound like chopped liver.

Next year I expect great improvement in the offense. Obviously you don't.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  14. infantrycak

Lol, Kubiak made Walter & OD. They were great scheme players. Always said that. You always wanted speed. I'd been thru Bob Hayes & Alvin Harper. Speed doesn't kill. Catching does. OD didn't have speed to beat anyone. Schemed he was wide the fu@k open. Caught a 20 yd key pass on the way to the SB. Nobody in sight. When was the last time OB drew up a wide open play?

CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  15. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Nuk had a wide open catch against Miami, and Jacksonville. Those are to quick ones I can think of off the top of my head

16. infantrycak

Nuk is a Hall player. Talking about making ordinary players great.

Just for the record, OD was a Casserly pick. Kubiak was going to go with the safety but said Casserly convinced him to take OD. Obviously worked since OD followed to Baltimore & Denver.

Texas Jake likes this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, some posters seem to romanticise the past. Any offense with AJ/AF should look good. Daniels was a much better weapon than Cak makes him out to be.

Kubiak was very good at scheming guys open. BOB isn't as bad as Cak makes him out to be He just prefers the WC system over the EP system.

Let's fix the OL and find a Wr and see what happens.

CWTexansFan and Texas Jake like this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

So was AJ, tell me who on the current roster is AF or DB etc...

19. infantrycak

I don't give 2 sh!its about system. I want it to work. Ours looks nothing like New England or Pittsburgh.

Norv Turner was run and long ball. Do it well. I don't care how you do it, just do it.

OB sucks on O.

amazing80 and NastyNate like this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Give him some talent to work with next season and we'll see. That's the good thing.