Chicago Bears
New York Giants
St. Louis Rams
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Detroit Lions
Seattle Seahawks
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I think it is interesting to note that we have the 5th highest in the AFC and 9th highest in the NFL.

I guess this means that we are either underperforming, have bad coaching, or have too many of the other players that are in the "toilet bowl", e.g. the Brown bros, the secondary, OL, and DT's.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I think it is interesting to note that we have the 5th highest in the AFC and 9th highest in the NFL.

I guess this means that we are either underperforming, have bad coaching, or have too many of the other players that are in the "toilet bowl", e.g. the Brown bros, the secondary, OL, and DT's.
It means the Texans are getting closer to being a playoff team. Now lets take care of a playoff team this Sunday & see what happens :barman:

barrett

All Pro
I kind of like the snub for Schaub because it can serve as motivation to succeed next year.

I agree with Kaiser that the "All Pro" tag is way more impressive than anything that the stupid fans vote for but I'm still happy for the players none the less.

Go Texans!!!

Livid13

Waterboy
So let me get this straight....

Shaub leads the league in total yards.

Had a higher passer rating that Rivers, and Brady.

Had a higher completion percentage than Rivers, and Brady.

But doesn't make the Pro Bowl, WTF.

Besides all that he has rushed for 56 yards this season, that should be reason enough!!!!! Come on man!!!!

Except for the fact that Schaub derserves the nod I almost prefer it this way. Screw'em, come on Shaub go throw for 300+ a game and get us in the playoffs to give the voters the middle finger by kicken some ass!!!!!

At least Cushing the Cushlash Juggernaut got in. Way to go 56!!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLY, someone mentions Schaub. He didn't make it for two reasons, imo. First, he's playing for a franchise that isn't exactly at the top of public awareness and interest. Secondly, you have the marquee QB's like Brady, who garnished a trip, due to his "comeback". I understand the Rivers choice, but BRADY. I hope we kick their asses....

TigerWoods..Not

Practice Squad
With the Pro Bowl being the week before the Superbowl this year, none of the players who make it that far will be playing in it. So if the Colts make it, all of those players are going to be replaced.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
I kind of like the snub for Schaub because it can serve as motivation to succeed next year.

I agree with Kaiser that the "All Pro" tag is way more impressive than anything that the stupid fans vote for but I'm still happy for the players none the less.

Go Texans!!!
It hopefully will give him some extra motivation, and the O-line, against the Patriots/Brady.

disaacks3

Staff member
they said on nfl network that if a player cant play because of the super bowl they will still get credit for being a pro-bowler
This is more for contractual purposes than anything else. Lotsa $ involved on many contracts for stuff like this.

True. But, I'll be sporting a Cushing Pro Bowl jersey on 2010 opening day.

Mario had a down year. But, it wasn't a great year for AFC DEs.

AJ is a perennial. Ditto DeMeco. Schaub will find his way into the game.

4 Pro Bowlers. And 3 alternates. Not bad for team without a lot of talent.
Yep, and we have only an outside shot at even making the playoffs. Nope, no sir, CAN'T be a coaching issue with all this talent. :sarcasm:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Yep, and we have only an outside shot at even making the playoffs. Nope, no sir, CAN'T be a coaching issue with all this talent. :sarcasm:
That's fair, but so is observing the failure of talent in key places like 10 fumbles or Kris Brown or our CB's not being able to buy an INT or OD going down. Our CB's have 2 INT's as a unit. Our rookie LB has twice that and our street FA not that good in coverage safety has 3. People keep acting like this is a binary problem when the answer is both sides coaching and players let this team down this year.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
That's fair, but so is observing the failure of talent in key places like 10 fumbles or Kris Brown or our CB's not being able to buy an INT. Our CB's have 2 INT's as a unit. Our rookie LB has twice that and our street FA not that good in coverage safety has 3. People keep acting like this is a binary problem when the answer is both sides coaching and players let this team down this year.
2 interceptions?? Really??? At least we're not paying one of those guys ~ $10 mill a year... :user: Oh wait.

Seriously, 2 picks. That's pathetic.

See my sig, quoted from DB.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
2 interceptions?? Really??? At least we're not paying one of those guys ~ $10 mill a year... :user: Oh wait.

Seriously, 2 picks. That's pathetic.

See my sig, quoted from DB.
Yup - one by Reeves and one by McCain. Three or four dropped by franchise boy. When was the last time you saw a Texans CB try to jump a route?

Heck Wilson only played in 8 games and tied our CBs.

utahmark

markbeth
Yup - one by Reeves and one by McCain. Three or four dropped by franchise boy. When was the last time you saw a Texans CB try to jump a route?

daunta likes to keep all the routes about 5 yards in front of him. except for the deep balls which are usually about 5 yards behind him.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Let me amend that 10 fumbles to 15 fumbles to include 5 off receptions with only 1 of those being by a non-RB. 14 friggin' fumbles by RBs. Last year our RBs had 4.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Let me amend that 10 fumbles to 15 fumbles to include 5 off receptions with only 1 of those being by a non-RB. 14 friggin' fumbles by RBs. Last year our RBs had 4.
It has been a problem, and feel that Kubiak's fumble policy does not help anyone's confidence and fosters incremental problems. Certainly it is not the only reason, but it has not helped the psyche of this offense IMO.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
It has been a problem, and feel that Kubiak's fumble policy does not help anyone's confidence and fosters incremental problems. Certainly it is not the only reason, but it has not helped the psyche of this offense IMO.
Maybe. I find these kinds of judgments follow the record. Win two more games and have a play-off spot locked up and probably most people are lauding Kubiak for being tough on the fumblers. Sit where we are and it is bad coaching.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame
Maybe. I find these kinds of judgments follow the record. Win two more games and have a play-off spot locked up and probably most people are lauding Kubiak for being tough on the fumblers. Sit where we are and it is bad coaching.
The one game against a good team we won, Cinci, featured Slaton who fumbled
about 3 times that game. Kubiak tried to bench him, but we couldn't score.
He put Slaton back out there, and Steve scored the gamewinning TD. Since
that game, Kubiak did not take into account whether the RB was having a
good game in spite of the fumbles. He sat him anyway. Adrian Peterson
fumbles a TON, but the Vikings know they need him out there to win.

Arian Foster was averaging 8 yards-per-play, but he fumbled. After he was
yanked, we had to hold on for dear life. Hell, even AJ fumbled at the 5 yardline
last year. Would HE have been yanked? Since it happened last
year, NO he wasn't yanked. We had Cedric Benson in our offices, and we
had to tell him Wali Lundy, Ahman Green, Chris Brown, and Chris Taylor are
better RB's than him. The Jets lost Kris Jenkins, but still found a way to
be one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL. Since Kubiak got here, we've
ALWAYS had a RB-by-committee with scrub backs. Steve Slaton has
been their ONLY hit, and they turn away a free agent who still had tons
of miles left in him, only because they didn't want to hurt the feelings of
Slaton.

Nice job, coach.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Sure, I have no doubt results-oriented narratives would take form. The way he has managed the running game this year, with the kids, has made me ill, virtually speaking.

TEXANS84

Staff member

I have a belief that some of that is related to Gibbs (younger) implimenting the new "side shuffle" instead of squaring off with the wide reciever.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
good game in spite of the fumbles. He sat him anyway. Adrian Peterson
fumbles a TON, but the Vikings know they need him out there to win.

Arian Foster was averaging 8 yards-per-play, but he fumbled. After he was
yanked, we had to hold on for dear life. Hell, even AJ fumbled at the 5 yardline
last year. Would HE have been yanked? Since it happened last
year, NO he wasn't yanked. We had Cedric Benson in our offices, and we
had to tell him Wali Lundy, Ahman Green, Chris Brown, and Chris Taylor are
better RB's than him. The Jets lost Kris Jenkins, but still found a way to
be one of the top 5 defenses in the NFL. Since Kubiak got here, we've
ALWAYS had a RB-by-committee with scrub backs. Steve Slaton has
been their ONLY hit, and they turn away a free agent who still had tons
of miles left in him, only because they didn't want to hurt the feelings of
Slaton.

Nice job, coach.
And Monday night his fumble cost them the game and possibly home field advantage during the playoffs.

This is why an otherwise productive RB who fumbles is a no-win for a coach. You want his production on the field, but do you "reward" his fumbling??? Do you send a msg to the other guys on offense that he can fumble at will with no repercussions?
"Well hell, if he can fumble and get away with it, I can drop passes."
"Yeah, and I can miss blocks." Coach won't do anything.
In this situ the HC is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't IMO. The fans are gonna ***** in either case.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
He put Slaton back out there, and Steve scored the gamewinning TD.
Are we just making up stories to fit agendas now? Slaton had one fumble in Cincy while running for 2.3 ypc and zero rushing TD's. He did have a receiving TD. The receiving TD was in the 2nd quarter with Schaub throwing subsequent TDs to JJ and OD. Slaton's fumble wasn't until after 28 points were on the board.

We had Cedric Benson in our offices
And he took a better offer. Would have been nice to get him as it turns out but this hindsight stuff is crud. We could have had Thomas Jones a few years ago and just like then nobody knew the 1st round bust was going to turn his career around.

I have a belief that some of that is related to Gibbs (younger) implimenting the new "side shuffle" instead of squaring off with the wide reciever.
Could be. Seems like either way you could press the ball at times and often this is irrelevant as the DB has already passed the turn and run point.

PS - Peterson has 6 fumbles on 305 carries at 4.4 ypc. Slaton had 5 fumbles on 131 carries at 3.3 ypc. You do the math because their situations aren't similar.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
good game in spite of the fumbles.

Nice job, coach.
This whole post, was a good argument. I'll give you Kudos on this one.

Forget what I just said.... I didn't bother to fact check.

originally posted by cak
Are we just making up stories to fit agendas now? Slaton had one fumble in Cincy while running for 2.3 ypc and zero rushing TD's. He did have a receiving TD. The receiving TD was in the 2nd quarter with Schaub throwing subsequent TDs to JJ and OD. Slaton's fumble wasn't until after 28 points were on the board.

Last edited:

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
How did leach become an alternate. In my mind a FB's first job is in the running game and how can you be a pro bowl FB on a team that can't run the ball.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
How did leach become an alternate. In my mind a FB's first job is in the running game and how can you be a pro bowl FB on a team that can't run the ball.
1) I think most of the players and coaches know what Leach brings every game day. Leach = Not our problem, Oline = Problem, RB's = Problem

2) Probably the most likely of the two. Teams don't utilize the FB position like they used to, thus making it slim pickings for Pro Bowl selections.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Seems like DeMeco might've gotten in over a more deserving David Harris as well...

David Harris for the Jets had a monster year on a defense that dominated. He had 17 tackles, 4.5 more sacks, 5 more pass defended, 2 more ints, 2 more forced fumbles than Ryans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
daunta likes to keep all the routes about 5 yards in front of him. except for the deep balls which are usually about 5 yards behind him.
Our defense is a "bend but don't break" and all of our Db's play that way not just Dunta. This explains why we only have 2 int's between all of our cb's.

that's how bush has them playing, except on the rare occasions we play man coverage.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Seems like DeMeco might've gotten in over a more deserving David Harris as well...

David Harris for the Jets had a monster year on a defense that dominated. He had 17 tackles, 4.5 more sacks, 5 more pass defended, 2 more ints, 2 more forced fumbles than Ryans.
NFL.com has it as 1 more pass defensed and 1 more forced fumble. In any event Pro Bowl selection tends to favor 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 ILBs.

Ndevine7

Rookie
harris did have a huge season and i think both are more then deserving to be in the pro bowl but i wouldnt say harris got snubbed cause ryans is also having a terrific season

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

All true. But I do believe the corners, and the secondary in general, played better this season than any product Jon Hoke put out since 2002.

I wasn't sold on Gibbs' techniques at first, but I have to admit the Texans secondary has improved under his tutelage.

Big Lou

Hall of Fame
Schaub as a SECOND alternate is downright insulting.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6791293.html

Behind Roethlisberger (presumably)? Wow...

So, leading the entire NFL in Passing Yards only makes you the 5th best QB in the AFC? What a joke...
You said exactly what I was thinking!!!

First Manning deserves the first spot. So does he get second, no, OK he's kinda new to the seen, so does he get 3rd, no, OK maybe next year. No wait he get's second alternate, what!!!!! As Frak said the leading passer in the NFL is the fifth best QB in the AFC, WTF. If I were Shaub I would say why bother with "Second Alternate.

I hope he takes it as an insult and throw for like 400 yards on Sunday to give a big FU to the Probowl.

DexmanC

Hall of Fame

And he took a better offer. Would have been nice to get him as it turns out but this hindsight stuff is crud. We could have had Thomas Jones a few years ago and just like then nobody knew the 1st round bust was going to turn his career around.

Could be. Seems like either way you could press the ball at times and often this is irrelevant as the DB has already passed the turn and run point.

PS - Peterson has 6 fumbles on 305 carries at 4.4 ypc. Slaton had 5 fumbles on 131 carries at 3.3 ypc. You do the math because their situations aren't similar.
I got the game recorded, and have seen it several times. Steve fumbled
THREE TIMES, that game and LOST ONE. Duane Brown jumped on the
OTHER TWO. I know what I said, and my point stands as stated.