Texans possibly switching to 4-3

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texan279, Jan 19, 2006.

1. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

per Cold Pizza...Insider on the show (cannot remember his name) said a "little birdie told him" about this

2. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

we have the tackles for it just not the ends. Maybe babin can do it but not peek.

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

He said something about Babin and Peek at DE and something else about the tackles. I honestly do not know where he got this from since we have no coach. Unless the little birdie is Kubes...

4. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

Little birdies....there's tons of 'em and they all have something to say. How much stock you put in them is your (in general...not you specifically) deal though.

Thanks for sharing...

5. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

at 250 pounds.. Peek is small but not TOO SMALL to play a 4-3 end. And last season he showed that he was capable of bulking up.. he may be able to bulk up a bit more and still keep his speed and quickness.

6. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

does kubes know enough about our defensive personel to say we would work best in a 4-3?

personally, id wait for the DC to decide that

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Everytime I watch Cold Pizza I realize how much they don't know about us.

8. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

They should call it Old Pizza

9. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

We could pull it off if we get 2 years to do it. We obviously have some good DTs to work with, and I think it would really help out TJ if we switched to the 4-3. Babin might be able to switch, if he added some weight. Peek would work as a pass rusher, in the mold of Robert Mathis, however we would still need to look to the draft or FA to get the other DE.

At LB, Wong could work in the middle or strongside, while Greenwood might actually be solid on the weakside. But again, we're a player short on D. I think we move Wong back to strongside and draft a good MLB like Abdul Hodge in the 2nd becuase its alot easier to find good MLBs than it is OLBs.

Our secondary wouldnt change much, but we would still need to find a clearcut #2 CB. Wether it be Faggins, Buchanon, or a offseason pickup is yet to be seen, but we need someone to step up. Depending on how we feel about Glenn Earl, we might need another SS. I didnt get to watch him play at all, so Im not going to say much about him.

10. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I largely agree with you, our team is definitely lacking a true MLB, but I'm not sure if there are any really good ones in the draft, so for now Wong could stay at MLB and Greenwood and Orr could play our OLB positions. We would need to bring in one more DE during the offseason and need Buchanon to step it up or bring in a new CB, Faggins isn't fast enough or tough enough to be a main #2 CB, Buchanon at least has the speed if he elevates the rest of his game.

11. jacquescas

jacquescas Hall of Fame

remember along the defensive line and linebacker position there will be some play in free agency as well

12. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Sometimes I think those little birdies are nothing but posts on this website.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Babin can switch, Peek can't. Maybe Pettway from the practice sqaud can.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

Pettway is less of a DE than Peek. Peek could at least be a situational pass rusher right now, and if he gains 15-20 lbs. he could be a more full-time pass rusher, which is what he needs to do, that is definitely his strength being told to do nothing but hunt the QB down rather than having to mess with coverages and all that.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Pettway is an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier than Peek.

16. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

I look at it that we could do it this year if we wanted to. Peek and Babin can play weakside end and then draft Mario Williams or someone else to play the Strongside. Orr, Wong, and Greenwood could cover the LBs with Rocky McIntosh likely taking over in the middle when he is ready. JJ from USCarolina is a good corner and plays alot like D-Rob except a little bigger and slower. We have the ability, problem is we need to make sure Earl and CC can play that SS posistion and make tackles and our FS needs to ballhawk pretty well, I recomend maybe Cedric Griffin or Daniel Bullocks possibly. We have a good rotation of DTs and we have enough LBs to make it work also Will Witherspoon may be out there to grab, but he would be costly and we just cannot afford to spend much more on LBs. Our backup LBs are decent enough though with Polk, Evans, and Andersen if they stay, but Andersen and Evans could likely be replaced by rookies. All in all we have the pieces. I am still a fan of the 3-4 and when ran correctly it is devastating. Kubes should bring Slocum in as a defensive consultant.

17. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

He is a little bigger than Peek but having seen the two of them in person before I think Peek looks more suited to be a DE and looks like he could add weight more easily, plus Peek has experience as a DE in college and I don't know if Pettway has ever played it or not.

18. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Pettway played DE in college. I have not seen either of them in person so you are probably right about Peek looking more like a DE.

19. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

All the more reason to trade down for Kiwanuka or Williams.

20. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I think we should at least give the 3-4 one more shot, when run aggressivley. Of course, the players opinion's should also factor in to the decision, players like DRob have already stated their displesure with the 3-4, of course, it was run by fangio...