Texans & Playoffs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by pierre03, May 23, 2005.

1. pierre03

pierre03 Guest

If the offensive line steps up this year, do you feel that the Texans have a chance to make it to the playoffs.

2. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Sigh, another one?

Please search for one of the 2378356124 threads with the exact same title and post in it.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think you are mistaken, its more like 2,378,356,129 threads. But I could be wrong.

4. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Ah, it's the first post - cut em a little slack. Welcome to the board pierre03, the Oline stepping up is defintely a big factor in this season being a success.

5. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

Welcome Pierre -

To your Q: If the line steps up I give them a fighting chance of making it as a wildcard this year. I think they will go 8-8 or 9-7 if the line plays well. The play of the O-line will certainly make a big difference in the "If" it happens.

6. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Give the kid a break, it's his first post.

Pierre, welcome to the board. U4ikrob pretty much sums it up in the previous post.

7. TopTexanFan16

TopTexanFan16 Veteran

i dunno bout that in the AGC south goin 8-8 or 9-7 wont cut it. i dont think we could make the wild card with only 9 wins......unless the jags just role over and die and we somehow come up with a win against the colts. IMO

8. U4ikrob

U4ikrob Guitar Junky

In our own Division - I dunno I guess I just dont see the Colts and Jags being the contendors again this year liek the last 2. I think both clubs will be toughing it out with us at the end of the year and our club has picked up the pace enough to compete with both of them. IF the Colts loose Edge or he sits out a few games because of the contract deal it could really hurt them in team chemistry esp if Edge doesnt have faith in the front office givign him a long term deal after the year is done. Same with the Jags, Fred [i'm always hurt] Taylor is injured again and may not play the whole season again if things go really bad. Could make a difficult start for both of those clubs and make it more of a dogfight at the end of the season thus my pick is 8-8 or 9-7 as a wildcard.

9. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

its the BIGGEST factor IMO. Though there are some snipping at the heels.

The fact that we have ONE LB for sure that's a starter and that's Babin. We've gotten REALLY young on D and I wonder how long it takes for us to GEL that unit could be a really big factor.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, Capers is now talking about this team being in the playoff picture. That is a far cry from Capers' and Casserly's M.O. to date. Even last year, they were careful to downplay expectations. I l

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

We were much less experienced on defense last year than we will be this year... Last year, we started 3 rookies. This year, we aren't starting any. While we may have gotten younger, we've not lost experience... We'll have one 1st year starter (Peek), maybe, and it'll be his 3rd year in the league.

The defense should be vastly improved from the 1st half of last season and eventually be better than it was at the end of last season, IMO.

12. That's a pretty good oxymoron or the best imitation of OJ Simpson as a broadcaster as I've ever seen ("We have to remember that whoever scores the most points by the end wins.")

13. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

yes they will make the play-offs,,oh and i'm naive by the by :)

14. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

yeah i say we'll make it to the second round of the play-offs and then be out of it, but hey i wouldnt mind a superbowl "but hey who would"

15. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

Hey genious what he meant by his post was that our defense got younger but if you look at who we have put out on the defensive side of the ball...they are all young and experienced players...P-buc is very young still, but yet as been an impact player for 3 yrs in the NFL. M.G is young but has plenty of experience having started for the Dolphins next to one todays top linebackers...so we have added plenty of youth and SPEED but looking at the overall picture all of our young players have a tremendous amount of experience and are MUCH faster...your comment would lead people to believe that DRob sucks cause this is only his second year...if you honestly think that...then give me a little bit of whatever your smoking...that has to be some good stuff

16. jr0ck

jr0ck Veteran

to answer the original post, specifically about the questions with the OL, i have this as an answer (and a little perspective)

from THE official site - "The Texans were one of just six teams last season to have a 3,000-yard passer (Carr), a 1,000-yard rusher (Domanick Davis) and a 1,000-yard receiver (Andre Johnson)."

even with 49 sacks last year thats still a pretty damn impressive, not to mention balanced, offense. not to say that the line couldn't, or more importantly shouldn't improve, but even if the difference between the 04-05 line and the 05-06 line is marginal i think we still have a fighting chance at the wild card. just my :twocents:...

17. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

The AFC is going to be tough this year, really tough. I think 11-5 teams will be getting the Wild Cards this year. So if we can get to 11-5, then yes, playoffs here we come. It all depends on how the semi-new defense steps up.

18. maddsouth

maddsouth Rookie

I think they will just miss the playoffs this season with a 9-7 record, but IMO will finish 2nd behind the Dolts

19. royce1054

royce1054 All Pro

I kinda feel like we will go 8-8 or 9-7 if the O-line has an OK year. If the Texans line has a good or great year we could go 9-7, 10-6 bc we do have an easy schedule.. I think Indy has a good O but their D is horrible. I think we should be able to contain them with the added coverage that we have.

20. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I give us 1 in 3 odds of making the playoffs this year.