Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans players desperate for Wade Phillips to return

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Posted by Mike Florio on December 23, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
Wade Phillips AP

The Texans have played two games without defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who underwent kidney and gallbladder surgery last week. The Texans have lost both games.

Per a league source, Texans defensive players believe they need Phillips back as soon as possible. The source explains that there’s a sense in the locker room that, when it comes to devising the game plans and calling the plays, linebackers coach Reggie Herring “doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

Though the assessment may be a little harsh and/or unfair, it’s the natural reaction to a home loss to the Panthers and a late-game collapse against the previously 1-13 Colts.

Head coach Gary Kubiak said that Phillips would miss two games. Though next Sunday’s visit from the Titans won’t do much to affect Houston’s playoff positioning, they definitely need Phillips back before the wild-card round.

97roc

Waterboy
Posted by Mike Florio on December 23, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
Wade Phillips AP

The Texans have played two games without defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who underwent kidney and gallbladder surgery last week. The Texans have lost both games.

Per a league source, Texans defensive players believe they need Phillips back as soon as possible. The source explains that there’s a sense in the locker room that, when it comes to devising the game plans and calling the plays, linebackers coach Reggie Herring “doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

Though the assessment may be a little harsh and/or unfair, it’s the natural reaction to a home loss to the Panthers and a late-game collapse against the previously 1-13 Colts.

Head coach Gary Kubiak said that Phillips would miss two games. Though next Sunday’s visit from the Titans won’t do much to affect Houston’s playoff positioning, they definitely need Phillips back before the wild-card round.
Its not that he doesn't know what he's doing, its just that Wade knows more how to do it.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Experience is key when dealing w such a young team. Wade has been there, done that, and has the shirt. He is well respected and has earned the players trust. He brings a calm confidence while his guys wreck shop on the field.

Wolf

100% Texan
A source told ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton that Phillips' deal is worth $2.1 million over three years. The contract makes Phillips the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the NFL.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

could Phillips leave? (I don't know how the contract stuff goes on with coaches)
reason I say that, is the last two games kinda proved that the Texans need Phillips

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

could Phillips leave? (I don't know how the contract stuff goes on with coaches)
reason I say that, is the last two games kinda proved that the Texans need Phillips
Last night's game didn't prove that. The defense played extremely well. They made the plays when they had to make them. Unfortunately, the refs took those plays away. Couple that with an offense that can't sustain a drive and give them a breather, and it was just a lose/lose situation for them last night.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
... is the last two games kinda proved that the Texans need Phillips
Proved? Not so sure about that at this point. What if we were to lose the next two? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Phillips supporter as DC. I'm just more inclined to believe that Kubiak was more responsible for the defensive collapse than Reggie Herring.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
0-2 without Wade.

It's a shame that Gary cant lead a team to victory without Wade.

Wolf

100% Texan
Proved? Not so sure about that at this point. What if we were to lose the next two? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Phillips supporter as DC. I'm just more inclined to believe that Kubiak was more responsible for the defensive collapse than Reggie Herring.
I agree too.. I posted somewhere that the defense was gassed. yes we have high motor guys but the offense has to give them the rest and this offense didn't do squat

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
To say Herring "doesn't know what he's doing" is a bit harsh. Herring is definitely no Phillips, but they held the Colts to 19 points when our offense couldn't stay on the field and the refs were helping to extend drives.

Perhaps Wade has that "Tebow Effect" going on. Tebow inherits the same team Orton had, but his teammates believe in him and will play like they're capable because they know he'll give them a chance to win.

This team - or at least defense - trusts and believes Wade will put them in the best position to succeed.

NitroGSXR

Super Sic #58
To say Herring "doesn't know what he's doing" is a bit harsh. Herring is definitely no Phillips, but they held the Colts to 19 points when our offense couldn't stay on the field and the refs were helping to extend drives.
This is a very bad thing to hear. Publically pointing fingers internally is a prelude to a locker room being lost. I am very worried. We have g-o-t to bounce back or we will be on the wrong end of a 42-0 rim job next week.

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
This.

I am a huge Kubiak critic and love what Wade has done, but Brisco is right. The offense did a poor job and put the defense in bad spots all game.

Hopefully we hit rock bottom and players will come together and right this ship.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
This is a very bad thing to hear. Publically pointing fingers internally is a prelude to a locker room being lost. I am very worried. We have g-o-t to bounce back or we will be on the wrong end of a 42-0 rim job next week.
Agreed. It's more worrisome that the quote made it to the press.

Hopefully it's just one player who let his frustration get the best of him.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
This.

I am a huge Kubiak critic and love what Wade has done, but Brisco is right. The offense did a poor job and put the defense in bad spots all game.

Hopefully we hit rock bottom and players will come together and right this ship.
It always boils down to the offensive line and time of possession.

And guess which component of this team has sucked for the past two games.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think playcalling is very underrated in the nfl. Its easy to have the next manup, but that guy doesn't have the same instincts as the guy he's replacing. Philly hasn't replaced jimmy johnson yet. They tried his understudy and he got fired cause the defense sucked. Wade just know through experience when to call what. Its easy to say the offense hasn't performed, but wade was getting 3 and outs. Last night and against panthers, they gave up sustained drives. Those 10 play drives took time off the clock and didn't give the struggling offense the ball back. Instead, field position has been flipped and kubes played it safe. Look no further than the avg starting position for the offense.

Reactions: GP

Showtime100

Got JJ?
0-2 without Wade.

No **** and I agree. It's really simple.

Kubes sucks to kingdom come and I can't help but laugh at these people on this board that know so-and-so from BFE Juco that we should draft yet when it comes to real-time football it seems they have no clue. See gameday thread.

Same dummies that say, "we don't deserve to win if we can't get a yard here on 4th and 1."

I could go on and on.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
0-2 without Wade.

Not like the team wasn't winning and kept ending the last drive of the game only to have a bullshit call extend the game multiple times.

If you want to talk about coaching failures before that then that's one thing. If you want to talk about not being in that position to begin with the that's another thing too. I know. It sucks to pin that loss on the refs, but sometimes **** happens. Sometimes, THAT happens. What can you do? Saying we shouldn't be in that position is pie-in-the-sky nonsense. Utopian fantasy for a team still trying to find its way through injury and adversity. But we were in that position and the game was done multiple times. We responded to the challenge and situation we were in and we won that game.

This wasn't Kubiak's best game. Not by a freakin' long shot.

But the D was playing just fine without Wade. I think more than anything, the team misses Andre. We spent too little time on the field on offense. Even the shitty Colts Defense will play well when they know we have no wide receiver to catch the ball let alone the best WR in the game. With a rookie QB, that is tough to pull off.

Pick our asses back up, hope Andre's back by next Sunday, get Yates comfortable with him and give it a shot.

That's the only thing we can do at this point.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Well, safe to say IF WADE leaves, we can assume Herring won't be "the next man up".

We need Andre AND Wade back and then we have potential to dominate the playoffs.....Don't forget Brisiel too!!! He is a big part of our line obviously.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Last night's game didn't prove that. The defense played extremely well. They made the plays when they had to make them. Unfortunately, the refs took those plays away. Couple that with an offense that can't sustain a drive and give them a breather, and it was just a lose/lose situation for them last night.
I can't agree with this. Penalties, while frustrating, were still our own doing and most were justified asides from the JJ Watt roughing the passer call. Still, to allow a team to drive 80 yards in a little less than 2 minutes with no timeouts and a 4th string qb who hasn't registered a single win in the NFL as a starter, is on your defense and the defensive playcalling.

When you have Kareem Jackson playing single coverage on Reggie Wayne at the 1 yard line, you've failed as a defensive coordinator.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Well, safe to say IF WADE leaves, we can assume Herring won't be "the next man up".

We need Andre AND Wade back and then we have potential to dominate the playoffs.....Don't forget Brisiel too!!! He is a big part of our line obviously.
Briesel being gone was very evident on Thursday night. Caldwell had a terrible game.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Briesel being gone was very evident on Thursday night. Caldwell had a terrible game.
Yes, it was very apparent. So was Yates' inability to really deal with it. I think not having Wade is part of the problem, but our offense still needs to score more than 13 points. I bet we're down to about 20th in points scored now and we were probably top five before Schaub went down. I've been watching that, but didn't mind as long as we were still winning I guess.

Speaking of Briesel and Caldwell, is our vaunted RT Winston ever going to learn to actually pass block? He's making up for Duane Brown not allowing a sack all year. Well, probably not that bad, but I don't think I've ever seen a RIGHT tackle get beat that much on passes. Am I overreacting because I just saw Caldwell screwing up next to him? Just seems like Winston has slowly gotten worse at something that was his weak-point in the first place.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
THis is pretty accurate. Them Boys on Kirby came to play & they played their butts off. The defenses efforts were wiped away by penalties. The offense...

The thing that get's me about our offense, is that we've seen the Colts defensive players give up, twice. Twice at Reliant, but twice. You'd have thought if we could have scored another TD, if we could have gone up by 14 in the first half they would have gave up.

They're at home & this is a division game, so maybe there was no quit in them that day. But we'll never know.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
0-2 without Wade.

Weren't we 0-2 when we first lost Andre? Just took us some time to learn how to win without him. We then won 7 straight.

A lot of people were giving up on us then as well.

The Texans Faitful never wavered, never lost hope, never gave up on them boys on Kirby.

:texan:

HJam72

Hall of Fame
What are we gonna do when Yates goes down against Tenn. and we burn through Delhome and Garcia in our first playoff game, winning it 3-0? At that point, I really think Caldwell should have to play QB as punishment.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think playcalling is very underrated in the nfl. Its easy to have the next manup, but that guy doesn't have the same instincts as the guy he's replacing. Philly hasn't replaced jimmy johnson yet. They tried his understudy and he got fired cause the defense sucked. Wade just know through experience when to call what. Its easy to say the offense hasn't performed, but wade was getting 3 and outs. Last night and against panthers, they gave up sustained drives. Those 10 play drives took time off the clock and didn't give the struggling offense the ball back. Instead, field position has been flipped and kubes played it safe. Look no further than the avg starting position for the offense.
I don't think the defensive play-calling was the issue. Three times we stopped them bitches on that last drive & three times a penalty saved their ass.

Defense tired? Possibly. Refs are Colts fans? sure looked that way.

Bottom line, things just didn't go our way.

Play hard, play smart, next time might turn out different.

GP

Go Texans!
This ^^^^^ is what is called "A Thread Ender."

Rep your way if it lets me.

Insideop

All Pro

Wow! Where are all those Brisiel haters that want him replaced? The ones that keep saying he is the weak link in the O-line and want us to draft an OG in the 1st or 2nd round to replace him.

This is the most love for Brisiel I think I've ever seen on this MB! :heart:

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
Weren't we 0-2 when we first lost Andre? Just took us some time to learn how to win without him. We then won 7 straight.

A lot of people were giving up on us then as well.

The Texans Faitful never wavered, never lost hope, never gave up on them boys on Kirby.

:texan:
Sometimes I wonder WHY I love this GAME as much as I do. The NFL has changed the game from the one I grew up having so much passion for, to one that is questionable on all levels. We, the faithful, never waver, never lose hope, and never give up on the boys on Kirby, but, sometimes I wonder if THEIR passion is as great as ours. Players and coaches don't hesitate to move from one team to another, and then CELEBRATE when they kick the teeth out of the team they just came from. It's all about the almighty dollar, and nothing else matters to them. WE, the faithful, sink our hard earned money into a belief that a bunch of players, few of whom give a damn, will take us to OUR ultimate dream of winning that SB trophy. Only 1 out of 32 teams will have that honor each year. All we, the FAITHFUL, get out of that win is bragging rights! Is it worth it??

After watching that fiasco Thursday night, I question my own sanity about being one of the faithful! WHY put so much faith in a game when you KNOW you are doomed by a bunch of men in black and white ( I called our defeat in the middle of the first quarter,) or the NFLs undying love for certain teams and players, OR the media's control over who gets the most air time, OR the powers that be in Vegas that KNOW how to run the money end of the game. Have I become jaded? You bet your sweet ass I have!! Will I get over my depression and bounce back? YOu bet your sweet ass I will!! Like so many of YOU, I am addicted, can't help myself!

I have NO flippin idea what will happen after Jan 1st. All I know is that I will ride this ride, take the bad with the good, enjoy our first successful year, and try to stay FAITHFUL, regardless!!

:toropalm:

fiasco west

All Pro
I really hope this is the attitude of the few and not the many.

"Hey, lets blame our coach." type of thing going on. Does that not bother anyone else? Seems to be the wrong attitude to have.

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
everyone know the right side in our offensive line is the weak link

Mikey B is ok but winston is bringing him down i think IMO SMith our LG should switch to RG and switch cladwell to LG that might work better

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Sometimes I wonder WHY I love this GAME as much as I do. The NFL has changed the game from the one I grew up having so much passion for, to one that is questionable on all levels. We, the faithful, never waver, never lose hope, and never give up on the boys on Kirby, but, sometimes I wonder if THEIR passion is as great as ours. Players and coaches don't hesitate to move from one team to another, and then CELEBRATE when they kick the teeth out of the team they just came from. It's all about the almighty dollar, and nothing else matters to them. WE, the faithful, sink our hard earned money into a belief that a bunch of players, few of whom give a damn, will take us to OUR ultimate dream of winning that SB trophy. Only 1 out of 32 teams will have that honor each year. All we, the FAITHFUL, get out of that win is bragging rights! Is it worth it??

After watching that fiasco Thursday night, I question my own sanity about being one of the faithful! WHY put so much faith in a game when you KNOW you are doomed by a bunch of men in black and white ( I called our defeat in the middle of the first quarter,) or the NFLs undying love for certain teams and players, OR the media's control over who gets the most air time, OR the powers that be in Vegas that KNOW how to run the money end of the game. Have I become jaded? You bet your sweet ass I have!! Will I get over my depression and bounce back? YOu bet your sweet ass I will!! Like so many of YOU, I am addicted, can't help myself!

I have NO flippin idea what will happen after Jan 1st. All I know is that I will ride this ride, take the bad with the good, enjoy our first successful year, and try to stay FAITHFUL, regardless!!

:toropalm:
Love your attitude. I'm with ya. I'm a fan even though, compared to what I grew up watching, this game has turned into NFL-Lite... all the commercials with 50% less hitting. If this keeps up, the NBA will be more of a contact sport than NFL-Lite. They're already letting the refs take over the games just like the NBA.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Love your attitude. I'm with ya. I'm a fan even though, compared to what I grew up watching, this game has turned into NFL-Lite... all the commercials with 50% less hitting. If this keeps up, the NBA will be more of a contact sport than NFL-Lite. They're already letting the refs take over the games just like the NBA.
You know what's really funny? When I played basketball in high school (and the rules were essentially the same in the NBA at the time), you couldn't hardly accidentally bump an opponent without being called for it. The NBA, opposite the NFL, has trended over the years to become relatively much more "contact-friendly."

TexansFanatic

Extremist
You know what's really funny? When I played basketball in high school (and the rules were essentially the same in the NBA at the time), you couldn't hardly accidentally bump an opponent without being called for it. The NBA, opposite the NFL, has trended over the years to become relatively much more "contact-friendly."
Wow, you are so right.

And the interminable whistles and referee interference is what has always made me hate basketball.

I sure hope that doesn't happen to football, but it looks like we're already there.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
We're on the 3rd page and not one person has even speculated that the article could have a "made up source". It makes for a good story, but I'm not buying it. I'm not saying people may be bummed that Wade isn't there, but they're not going to call out a guy who's a temporary fill in. I think it's bogus, JMHO.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that. The NBA of old seemed a lot tougher than today. Both leagues have gotten softer.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that. The NBA of old seemed a lot tougher than today. Both leagues have gotten softer.
I was speaking about the era before you were even born, grasshopper. When traveling was more than 1 step and palming the ball were ref favorites. In those days, players geared to avoid ALL contact at ANY price...........Hand checking of any sort was an immediate foul! During that period, there was the "3 for 2 rule," where the NBA allowed free throw shooters in the penalty to have 3 attempts to make 2 free throws. Sounds like today's schools where you can take tests over again until you pass them.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
I was speaking about the era before you were even born, grasshopper. When traveling was more than 1 step and palming the ball were ref favorites. In those days, players geared to avoid ALL contact at ANY price...........Hand checking of any sort was an immediate foul! During that period, there was the "3 for 2 rule," where the NBA allowed free throw shooters in the penalty to have 3 attempts to make 2 free throws. Sounds like today's schools where you can take tests over again until you pass them.
Hey, I like that. :kitten:

Dawgnme

Practice Squad
Remind me, Wade had surgery for the Saints game too, right? Or was it the Oakland game... maybe the Ravens? I forget.