Texans players desperate for Wade Phillips to return

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Dec 23, 2011.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Posted by Mike Florio on December 23, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
    Wade Phillips AP

The Texans have played two games without defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, who underwent kidney and gallbladder surgery last week. The Texans have lost both games.

Per a league source, Texans defensive players believe they need Phillips back as soon as possible. The source explains that there’s a sense in the locker room that, when it comes to devising the game plans and calling the plays, linebackers coach Reggie Herring “doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

Though the assessment may be a little harsh and/or unfair, it’s the natural reaction to a home loss to the Panthers and a late-game collapse against the previously 1-13 Colts.

Head coach Gary Kubiak said that Phillips would miss two games. Though next Sunday’s visit from the Titans won’t do much to affect Houston’s playoff positioning, they definitely need Phillips back before the wild-card round.

2. 97roc

97roc Veteran

Its not that he doesn't know what he's doing, its just that Wade knows more how to do it.

3. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Experience is key when dealing w such a young team. Wade has been there, done that, and has the shirt. He is well respected and has earned the players trust. He brings a calm confidence while his guys wreck shop on the field.

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5992848

could Phillips leave? (I don't know how the contract stuff goes on with coaches)
    reason I say that, is the last two games kinda proved that the Texans need Phillips

5. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Last night's game didn't prove that. The defense played extremely well. They made the plays when they had to make them. Unfortunately, the refs took those plays away. Couple that with an offense that can't sustain a drive and give them a breather, and it was just a lose/lose situation for them last night.

TheMatrix31 likes this.
  6. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Like a junkie coming off heroin, Texans suffering withdrawal/seizures/hallucinations.

[​IMG] Where is our pressscious Wade???

alphajoker and ObsiWan like this.
  7. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Proved? Not so sure about that at this point. What if we were to lose the next two? Don't get me wrong, I'm a Phillips supporter as DC. I'm just more inclined to believe that Kubiak was more responsible for the defensive collapse than Reggie Herring.

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

0-2 without Wade.

It's a shame that Gary cant lead a team to victory without Wade.

9. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I agree too.. I posted somewhere that the defense was gassed. yes we have high motor guys but the offense has to give them the rest and this offense didn't do squat

10. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

To say Herring "doesn't know what he's doing" is a bit harsh. Herring is definitely no Phillips, but they held the Colts to 19 points when our offense couldn't stay on the field and the refs were helping to extend drives.

11. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

Perhaps Wade has that "Tebow Effect" going on. Tebow inherits the same team Orton had, but his teammates believe in him and will play like they're capable because they know he'll give them a chance to win.

This team - or at least defense - trusts and believes Wade will put them in the best position to succeed.

12. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

This is a very bad thing to hear. Publically pointing fingers internally is a prelude to a locker room being lost. I am very worried. We have g-o-t to bounce back or we will be on the wrong end of a 42-0 rim job next week.

13. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

This.

I am a huge Kubiak critic and love what Wade has done, but Brisco is right. The offense did a poor job and put the defense in bad spots all game.

Hopefully we hit rock bottom and players will come together and right this ship.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  14. Brisco_County

Agreed. It's more worrisome that the quote made it to the press.

Hopefully it's just one player who let his frustration get the best of him.

15. Brisco_County

It always boils down to the offensive line and time of possession.

And guess which component of this team has sucked for the past two games.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I don't believe you can block an escalation of position........you can a lateral move.

17. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

I think playcalling is very underrated in the nfl. Its easy to have the next manup, but that guy doesn't have the same instincts as the guy he's replacing. Philly hasn't replaced jimmy johnson yet. They tried his understudy and he got fired cause the defense sucked. Wade just know through experience when to call what. Its easy to say the offense hasn't performed, but wade was getting 3 and outs. Last night and against panthers, they gave up sustained drives. Those 10 play drives took time off the clock and didn't give the struggling offense the ball back. Instead, field position has been flipped and kubes played it safe. Look no further than the avg starting position for the offense.

GP likes this.
  18. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Yep. Come back soon, Andre.

19. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

No shit and I agree. It's really simple.

Kubes sucks to kingdom come and I can't help but laugh at these people on this board that know so-and-so from BFE Juco that we should draft yet when it comes to real-time football it seems they have no clue. See gameday thread.

Same dummies that say, "we don't deserve to win if we can't get a yard here on 4th and 1."

I could go on and on.

20. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Not like the team wasn't winning and kept ending the last drive of the game only to have a bullshit call extend the game multiple times.

If you want to talk about coaching failures before that then that's one thing. If you want to talk about not being in that position to begin with the that's another thing too. I know. It sucks to pin that loss on the refs, but sometimes shit happens. Sometimes, THAT happens. What can you do? Saying we shouldn't be in that position is pie-in-the-sky nonsense. Utopian fantasy for a team still trying to find its way through injury and adversity. But we were in that position and the game was done multiple times. We responded to the challenge and situation we were in and we won that game.

This wasn't Kubiak's best game. Not by a freakin' long shot.

But the D was playing just fine without Wade. I think more than anything, the team misses Andre. We spent too little time on the field on offense. Even the shitty Colts Defense will play well when they know we have no wide receiver to catch the ball let alone the best WR in the game. With a rookie QB, that is tough to pull off.

Pick our asses back up, hope Andre's back by next Sunday, get Yates comfortable with him and give it a shot.

That's the only thing we can do at this point.

ObsiWan likes this.