Texans Plan To Show "Sign of Solidarity" Sunday

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Sep 11, 2010.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

After last Thursday's "event," I have some very mixed feelings on the subject. I don't know that this show of unity during a game is much more appropriate than political statements coming during Academy Awards acceptances. There are probably better venues for such "statements."

2. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

I don't think the average fan is gonna care for it myself, and they'll be ready to show their disapproval this time, unlike the thursday night game.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

This stuff is silly, and only makes me pissed off at the players. They need to have their head in the game.

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I’m going to be one extremely pissed off fan if there’s a lock out next season. And I’ll be blaming both sides because, as always, it takes two to tango.

Rasputin likes this.
  5. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I really don't want to see thier Labor Dispute on the field. I'm lucky to have a job, and I've lost a lot in compensation over the last two years. I work in an industry that has a Union, and they made no concessions during the recession, and they have that right, but don't go asking for my help when I'm taken it in the tail pipe.

Honestly the Owners and the Players all make a whole lot of money, but keep it behind closed doors, while we the fans the ones that pay for everything watch. I don't want to see your squabble for your share of the money while I'm seeking entertainment. There are too many struggling Average Joes out in the real world that are just happy to have a roof over thier head, and feed thier kids to feel sorry for any of them.

Actually heres an idea. Players be happy with what your making, and you Owners should lower ticket and merchandise prices and we should all be happy. This whole deal feels like Jackals squabling over a big kill. Poor schlubs like us pay for all of it, just remember who the customer in all this is.

I don't run around doing thing like this when I feel I deserve more compensation from my employer. Keep it behind closed doors boys.

Sorry about the rant!!!!!! :rant:

6. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

Ok whatever players.

Most people live paycheck to paycheck and you guys play a game and get paid very well. The owners are billionaires and ride in private jets and have million dollar yachts docked in Miami.

I don't really care about their "solidarity" to be honest. I was a paying customer the last time they had an NFL lockout. I think it's all a bunch of nonsense.

They'll always be NFL fans and they'll probably always be full stadiums and they all know that. So they'll have their little lockout and the players will still be millionaires when it's over and the owners will still be billionaires.

7. datchapin

datchapin Veteran

I don't have a problem with it. I think that what they are doing isn't getting in the way of the game. I mean how many seconds are they cutting out of our entertainment? It's also about freedom of expression. Without getting into the negotiations or their implications I think they are doing a cool thing.

8. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I don't like it!! Keep it off the field and in a boardroom!! It's crap like this that makes me detest what this game has become. I intend to get on facebook and send a message to every Texan player I have on my list and tell them how I feel. I don't think they care, but, dammet, they need to know!!!

Wouldn't it be cool if the FANS decided to LOCKOUT the entire NFL?! Get it done before March or we won't buy tickets!!! Never gonna happen, but, this crap is insane!! JMO!!

Cjeremy635 likes this.

9. datchapin

datchapin Veteran

What praytell has this game become? and how has crap like this made it that way?

They just want to express something and you're gonna blast them for it. It's your right, but that don't make it right. I mean if you're at work and you express yourself would you like everyone telling you their opinions about your actions.

Kulluminatii likes this.
  10. texanmojo

texanmojo Shotgun 30 Time

Years ago when Texas Motor Speedway opened the drivers bitched and moaned about the track. The next season there were T-Shirts being sold that said "Shut Up and Drive". The drivers were pissed.

Frankly...I feel the same way. They just need to shut up and play. The owners will ALWAYS have more money than the players. I doubt you would find very many people that wouldn't be thrilled to have a league minimum salary. Without the owners...there wouldnt be a team. Obviously without the players, there would not be a team either.

I think both sides are wrong but frankly the players are acting like babies. If I acted out like that against my boss, I would be on my ass looking for a new job. The players need to be reminded that they are employees...very well paid employees. If they don't like their employer (owner)...then go get a job elsewhere. Otherwise shut up and do the job that you were hired to do...and do it to your full capacity.

Cjeremy635 likes this.
  11. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I agree, just shut up and play. Look I'm going to be a Boo Bird on Sunday.

12. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I've been a season ticket holder for five years. This year it was a little tight, and wasn't sure if I was able to renew my tickets, but I pulled it off. It wasn't easy.

I have no issue with these guys getting paid fair market, but they have to understand that Joe Fan really don't want to hear about their plight. They should keep the labor negotiations behind closed doors.

Having said that, I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Ok, so a bunch of players held up a finger to signify unity. So what? Let's move on.

Also: There WILL be football next year. People, we're talking about an institution worth tens of BILLIONS of dollars. There's a lot to lose by everybody. This will be resolved.

13. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The NFL is nothing without the players. I like that they are unified. They should be. The owners certainly are.

A 2 second hand gesture doesn't impact the game at all. From a fans point of view, it doesn't change your game experience one bit. Why so angry about it?

It seems like some fans have a little too much sense of entitlement,

I want my Texans team to be pumped up and excited this Sunday. No way would I risk putting them off their game by booing something as trivial as this

14. CloakNNNdagger

I came across this historical SI article published in 2000. It is lengthy, but worth reading when you have some time. Things since have only gotten very much worse for the fan. Where is the cry on the part of the players, and for that matter on the part of the owners to call for logarithmic decrease of tickets each year attached to the logarithmic increases of their incomes. Let the owners make up for their "loss" by increasing the prices of their merchandise and food, while the players make up their "loss" by increasing their demands for memorabilia and endorsements. Neither will do this. Because they would be afraid that they would more likely see a lot of tee shirts at game day with players' names and numbers printed with magic markers, and fans having less need for pee and potty breaks, while watching fans becoming skinnier game by game.

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Sad that the owners are willing to lockout a season because they can't get on the same sheet of music. Not upset at all about this because I have been following it for a little while and I don't mind at all that the players want to give each other a sign that they are together about this.

More than the owners have ever done.

16. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

This game has become ALL ABOUT MONEY, very little true loyalty, selfish, self centered individuals who think making millions is not enough! I've been a fan of this GAME for close to 60 years! I watched football when players had a regular job as well as "playing football." They did it for the LOVE OF THE GAME! That does not exist anymore. They are hired to do a job, get paid very well, and have an opportunity to make MORE if they do that job well. Fans pay what we do because we love the game of football, enjoy it as an entertainment factor in our lives, BUT, life will go on without it!! We don't need football players to survive!!

If I pulled this type of "crap" at my job, I would be jobless very quick! NO, I do not work for a union. "if you're at work and you express yourself would you like everyone telling you their opinions about your actions." To answer that question truthfully! I am a professional! When I'm at work, I conduct myself as one.

Scooter, False Start and Thorn like this.
  17. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

If you were making your boss a billion dollars a year, yeah, you probably could.

18. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Thing is, the "Average Fan" can complain about players complaining about money and about owners raising ticket prices, but when it comes right down to it, "Average Fan" is still buying tickets, is still buying memorabilia, and is still watching games.

Its simple economics. Supply and demand.

Ticket prices will continue to increase, beer prices will continue to increase, and players will demand more money as long as there is a reasonable market and profits continue to increase.

Fans have to speak with their wallets. Its hypocritical to complain that players are all about the money and then buy jerseys, tickets, beer, and watch games. They only make as much as we're willing to give them. Thing is, we love the game. We love the entertainment.

Is it what it used to be? I have no idea, I wasn't around for the "good ole days." Do I love it now? Absolutely

Does it bother me that it costs at least $50 a ticket to go to a game up here? Yeah. Will I pay it? Yeah.

19. CloakNNNdagger

I respect your opinion. But at 26, without 2 or 3 or 4 kids, you cannot really appreciate the extent of the hardship to those who also love the game, but have little choice but to turn away from the game day experience that you so understandably enjoy.

20. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I don't get it. How does having a few kids help you appreciate turning away from watching a sport? I mean ever since I've had kids I've always known that I really wouldn't be able to really attend games, but that's not going to make me turn away from football. Probably just the NFL if they can't figure out how to play nicely with one another, but there's always NCAAFB, UFL, CFL and AFL. I've pretty much relegated myself to 2011 not being an NFL season, but I don't see how having kids has helped me come to the conclusion that I won't watch them if they screw it up in 2012 as well.