Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Texans Pass Rushing discussion

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheKDog, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator Staff Member

Sure we're facing talented qbs who know how to get rid of the ball, no reason we have to give them an anemic pass rush by our design though.

ATXtexanfan and cameronkrazie86 like this.
  2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Yup, I fear our HC/GM doesnt quite know how to design a defense or does he know defensive talent when he sees it.

Man I hope the old man romeo has some mad scientist still in him. JJ needs some help. I'll give romeo the benefit of the doubt but hasnt he always been bend dont break.

Man, I don't like our D. Offense will be in shoot outs.

Just ramblin off thoughts....

Corrosion and Mollywhopper like this.
  3. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Personally I like bend don’t break.

Works best with some playmakers though. Not sure who our D playmakers are.

thunderkyss and Corrosion like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

Yeah , he's been bend don't break for the most part and its hard to argue with it. More often than not , its not the scheme that fails , its a players execution of the scheme - Case in point the final play against the Aints.

Everyone crying that they went prevent , that's absolutely false. Prevent defense …. you aint playing man coverage at all much less that tight.

RC had schemed up the perfect defense for that play. They were in very tight man coverage on 4 route runners and supposed to be the same on the 5th.
    It was a breakdown by Colvin , just a complete lack of situational awareness.

That was typical of the secondary Subday , one guy making multiple critical errors.

I'm not happy with the pass rush either but we do have to realize that it was Drew Brees who gets rid of the ball as fast as any QB in the game. You aren't going to pressure him often by design.

I'm more looking forward to the Chargers game as I think it will be more telling about the pass rush than either of these first two games on polar opposite ends of the QB spectrum with the Jags Gardner Minshew II and Brees.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  5. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

thunderkyss, CWTexansFan and otisbean like this.
  6. otisbean

otisbean Hall of Fame

We need more of this. In obvious passing situations I’d like to see a front 4 for Whitney, Omenihu, Watt, and Martin. That should give us a nice balance of inside/outside pass rush

thunderkyss likes this.
  7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Worry for me is Watt being nonexistent in run support - granted more than half of Kamaras runs were away from Watt, there were plays to be made and it just seemed uncharacteristic of Watt. Being schemed out of a pass rush with short passing game is kinda what NO does, so I was disappointed that the D couldnt generate any pressure with a couple of weeks to prepare. Watt was just running into the wall play after play, his only move the dip and rip time after time - either that or the bull rush. Not sure what to think about that. Could this be a signal of father time? Wasnt one of Docs last posts kind of cryptic in regards to Watt and what could be some underlying health issues he may be dealing with behind the scenes? I dont know. He didnt look good at all I think that everyone can agree on and it wasnt a case of double or triple teams.

Without an effective Watt this defense will not be able to stop anyone.

ROO likes this.
  8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

It was all of the above. the double/triple teams....the fact that he no longer moves around so the offense knows exactly where he’s gonna be each play.......and the fact that Romeo’s scheme was very passive with only 3 man rushes the majority of the time....& the fact Brees gets rid of the ball very fast.

All of that works against ANY pass rusher. The Raiders employed damn near the exact same offensive gameplan against Miller and the Broncos & Miller himself was on record as saying he didn’t get not 1 hit on Carr in the entire game.

ROO and CWTexansFan like this.
  9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Watt isn't the player he once was, I think we all know that. The injuries have piled up and are having an effect, I'm sure. But there's a reason he's still being double and triple teamed, because if you don't do that he's still good enough to create havoc in your backfield.

10. Toro Bravo

Toro Bravo Rookie

This article was written on July 17 and is based on the projected players at the time. We still had Clowney on the roster and no one thought the Texans were dumb enough to give him away for a bag-a-beans. If it were written today, we would rank about 23.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. mws

mws Rookie

One bright spot on defense besides Justin Reid is Whitney Mercilus.

His stats in 2 games:

Tackles: 7
    Solo Tackles: 6
    Sacks: 3
    Tackles for loss: 1
    Interceptions: 1
    Forced Fumbles: 2

12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

13. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Tweet from @PatDStat: Also, #Texans pass rush better equipped this week with Charles Omenihu over Carlos Watkins. Also, with Jacob Martin getting an increase in snaps. Adding them to Watt and Mercilus.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Whitney Mercilus’ spin move was being dusted off and refined during training camp. He made Lions LT Taylor Decker like in during joint practices. Busted it out a few times today. Got his first sack using it. #Texans

14. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

How did the two new LBs from Seattle do today?

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Mingo got a running into the kicker penalty that was declined.

16. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

“Really? That’s it?”

...is what Cal should be saying tomorrow.

santo likes this.
  17. AlbertanTexan

AlbertanTexan Rookie

was better today but against lesser competition

18. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Merci is already enjoying stepping into Clowneys shoes. I expect he will have a career year and enjoy the spoils of having JJ absorb the bulk of the pressure.
    He is looking good - just like a pro should.
    I expect we will see more stats for Reader too as the season wears on.

frethack, CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  19. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Tweet from @riversmccown: Zack Cunningham's sack on the first drive.
    -- RB picks outside man on a blitz. Not sure how it was called, may have wanted the two interiors to team to Cunningham, but Reader too strong?
    -- You can see Minshew's primary is outside here, not enough time. https://t.co/lHKBqtXPBy

Tweet from @PatDStat: Scarlett’s name will not be in the stat sheet but he had a good game on Sunday. Look at him walk the LG into the QB. Mercilus using his hands to rips under to LT to get the sack. Scarlett makes the play happen. #Texans https://t.co/k8wrIKf0QM

20. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Give it a few more games and teams will start doubling Mercilus.