Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Texans Pass Rushing discussion

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheKDog, Jul 17, 2019.

1. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

PFF ranks Texans pass rushing unit #5.

I assume that's with clowney.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-ranks-all-32-pass-rush-units-ahead-of-the-2019-nfl-season

5. HOUSTON TEXANS
    This group desperately needs Whitney Mercilus to get back to his best. Mercilus had a decidedly down 2018 season after returning from a pec injury that cut his 2017 season short. He racked up only 42 pressures. Not even 29 years old yet, there’s hope Mercilus can return to form that saw him rack up 122 pressures in 2015 and 2016

2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Meh...PFF has gotten kinda wacky over the years. I used to like their reports.

mussop and NastyNate like this.
  3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

His assignments changed and he didn't rush as much.

4. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Safe to say it won't be as high this season. If it's just better than average, the rush has done its part.

5. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

I take it with a grain of salt because we played some pretty weak QBs last season and whenever we played am upper tier QB they had all the time in the world to throw. Dealing with the passing game and how to stop, or at least slow down, the Bradys, Lucks, Rogers and Brees of the NFL will be the biggest challenge of the Texans this next year. If you put aside the discussion of coaches I'm actually more worried about the defense than I am the offense from a pure player ability. The tough schedule we are playing is tough because of the offense these teams have, not so much the defense with the Ravens being the notable exception.

NastyNate likes this.
  6. BOBdaFRAUD

BOBdaFRAUD Veteran

We need Clowney. LOL on folks at Kirby hyping Scarlett...................... Bwajajajajajahahahahahahaa......... Give me a break!

Be nice if Mercilus shows up this year. Don't know what the hell happened to this guy.

7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Mercilus is not a pass coverage LB, I think they learned that last year, and hopefully they will allow him to go back to rushing the passer and getting upfield, since that is his strength and what he was drafted to do. Im high on Blackson as a pass rusher from the inside. Curious to see what dynamic Charles Omenihu will bring to that unit since he seems somewhat well regarded as a pass rusher.

Obviously it all begins with the bookends .. Watt enjoyed a renaissance last year and it was in no small part to the amount of attention JD Clowney draws on the other side. If some of the younger guys can create more havoc or give the positional group depth so that they can stay fresh throughout the games then it would probably propel the unit near the top of the league. If its just going to be the JD & JJ show it will have those guys sucking air with their hands on the knees again this year, didnt like that at all from last season, need them fresh for the 4th!

I think Texans are top 3 against the rush also in most published reports, should be a good year again for that unit - Crennel keeps doing a great job.

mussop and Texansballer74 like this.
  8. gs27

gs27 Hall of Fame

Mercilus and Clowney should split reps at Jack opposite Watt to keep them both fresh. Scarlett should play behind Watt where Mercilus has been playing since 2016, he will play better there than Mercilus. Hopefully Kalambayi can back up Scarlett. We have ridiculous depth inside. Watt, Reader, Dunn, Watkins, Blackson and Omenihu, would be nice if we could get something in a trade for 1. Would also like to see Dylan Cole on the field most of the time when healthy, IMO he is our best LB.

I am most worried about the secondary, pass rush doesn't matter if we can't cover for 3 seconds.

9. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Blitzing may be Mercilus' strength, but if he does it every down, offenses will be able to slow it down. A LB must drop back in coverage part of the time, by definition of the position. If you can't cover at all, you have no business being a LB.

Have you ever noticed how the top teams protect their passers with a steel curtain when they have to score in a hurry?

10. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Texans have never figured out how to use Clowney and Mercilus on the field at the same time.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. powda

powda Do not disturb my circles!

Indy's ol stopped us like a China wall in the playoffs. It was impressive.

If we cant get Luck's Jersey dirty we're not going anywhere this year.

steelbtexan and maverick512000 like this.
  12. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Mercilus was turned into a pass rusher his senior year at Illinois and it resulted in a 16 sack/ 23 TFL season which prompted the TExans to draft him to help them RUSH THE PASSER! He's always been at his best when tasked with getting to the QB .. it improves his run coverage and keeps him aggressive. Asking a guy who has only dropped into coverage maybe one or two years in his playing career to keep doing it because the 'position requires it' is only asking for more blown coverages and missed assignments. Put your guys in the best position to succeed, play to their strengths. If you need a pass coverage LB, you have a couple of those guys in Scarlett and Cole or at least better than Mercy. Im really hoping they learned from that experiment last year and let Mercy go back to getting after it without having to think too much and worry about what zone or man he may have when the play is a pass - go get the QB! If the newfound positional requirements prohibit him from being a "LB" then put his hand in the dirt as a DE, I dont care just stop asking him to drop back.

13. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

Bellamy out of Georgia has been working in the offseason, he might offer some 3rd down rushing ability. (Only since this is a pass rush thread)

Hopefully this Clowney situation gets handled one way or the other.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Quoted for truth

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

By bringing in Roby, drafting Lonnie Johnson and picking up other press coverage type DBs, hopefully our LB covg deficiency will not be as noticeable. Our FA safeties should take TE and RB opponents out of their game. These guys may not be the right guys but it was a step in the right direction.

thunderkyss likes this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

I don't understand how you can say pay Clowney & rush Mercilus more in the same breath.

Mr teX, DocBar, CWTexansFan and 2 others like this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, plus somebody has to cover, not everybody can rush the passer on every play.

RAC has determined that moving Clowney around is the best way to get the most pressure on the QB.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  18. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Because Clowney deserves to be paid and Mercilus can’t cover a pass? Want to finish the loaded comment?

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

Well if we're going to pay JD to rush the passer Mercilus is just insurance. You either sit your first round pick, trade him, or put him in coverage blitzing from time to time.

If you want to see Mercilus rushing the passer more, JD or Watt (our two primary pass rushers) need to rush less.

KA4Texan and DocBar like this.
  20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Clowney does not deserve to be paid top pass rusher money. He's not been a cousin to a top pass rusher. Good teams don't pay guys that get there a second too late top pass rusher money. A second too late is Clowney's M.O. That's why Mack and Watt deserve to have top contracts, even with injury concerns, and Clowney doesn't. Clowney is Mario Williams 2.0 with a slightly higher motor.