Texans pass protection has improved by 100% from 2005

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tale Gator, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

Yes, it's true - last season at this time we had given up 20 sacks and this season only ten.

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans have allowed 10 sacks this season after three games, as opposed to 20 sacks at the same time last season.

Now there is a positive on this 0-3 season backed up by solid fact. :redtowel:

chronic

2. NEROtheZERO

NEROtheZERO Veteran

Want to see another blow to the Carr detractors and their illogical line "Carr pads his numbers in trash time"?

1stQ - 154.5
    2ndQ - 81.1
    3rdQ - 78.0
    4thQ - 122.7

3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

So we are less pathetic then last year? This doesn't make me dance in the streets.

How do we compare to 2004, the last time we had a competent offense?

4. eric138

eric138 Veteran

And Carr has 6 TD's compared to 2005's 2 TD's.. and 3 TD's in 2004 after game 3..

Shoot he is over a third of the way to past his most ever TD's just after 3 games, that we've lost. Just wait until we start winning.

5. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Our passing game is the one area of improvement this year. Carr is starting to show some of his talent (although I still wonder if he is a "winner"). Unfortunately we have regressed with respect to rushing the ball, stopping the run, stopping the pass, and, believe it or not, getting to the QB. Otherwise we are dandy. :francis:

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

What is interesting about this stat with limited games, is traditionally, Carr has been better in the second and third quarters.

Weird.

7. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Should at least make you wiggle a little bit...

8. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Take out the scripted first drives and the 4th quarter "prevent" defenses and what do you have left? Average? I do think he has improved to average though.

9. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

I was just posting about pass protection - not Carr - I think any QB would improve by not having to take 20 sacks. That's just a crazy amount of hits.

10. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

The agony continues.... :brickwall

David has improved. He is the least of our worries right now, as well. Him and our receiving core are the only thing in our favor right now.

The stats are worthless. I am judging him on a play-by-play basis, and he has shown improvement. I watch David.

We can only go up from here, Vinny. The soothing light at the end of the tunnel is not a freight train heading our way. It's the real deal.

11. Runner

Last year at about this time we were benching Victor Riley and moving Chester Pitts to LT and Milford Brown to LG. That was an improvement.

This year we have lost Charles Spencer and moved Ephraim Salaam to LT. This is not an improvment.

It will be another long year at this rate, especially since runnning might be a problem now too.

12. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

This thread started out about pass protection and ended up about Carr ... Odd huh?

Well IMO, his "happy feet" are improved and he's throwing downfield ...

still fumbling though .....

1 INT in 3 games but that was during garbage time so like all the TD passes we can't count that one ....

10 sacks, and depending upon who's typing, they're either all Carr's fault or none of Carr's fault .... I'd say somewhere in the middle but closer to 1 than 5 ..

Jeeez eventually we may be able to get our battered dog to do even more tricks ....

:twocents:

13. GP

GP Go Texans!

Comparing time of possession 1st 3 games 2005 to 1st 3 games of 2006:

Game 1: 21:45......Game 1: 27:09
    Game 2: 30:54......Game 2: 25:04
    Game 3: 25:26......Game 3: 21:33

Our offense was on the field MORE in 2005 (2 out of the first 3 games, at least). Extra time of possession in those two games last season COULD equal more chances of getting sacked.

So, not so sure this stat you've brought up (from the geniuses at The Chronicle) is entirely indicative of a better o line......or a result of not being on the field as much in 2006.

Thanks for sharing, though. It's nice to see some real commentary and not a thread that's just somebody venting their anger.

14. Runner

Carr has had a positive effect on this years sack numbers. He has passed the ball a few times when under pressure. Last year those would have been sacks.

For instance, the right DE was right on top of him when he threw the long pass to Dre on the first drive. Last year he would have ducked and run. This is an example of him getting up to average - most QBs already do this. It is also an example of the o-line being barely good enough on some plays - they aren't much better than last year right now.

eriadoc likes this.
  15. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I'm right there with you Brother ....

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Carr sacked himself 20+ times last year so he has quite a bit to do with pass protection himself....I see improvement too. I'd just like to see us win a shoot out if we can't win a defensive struggle.

17. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

As a semi-random thought, last time we saw Culpepper, the game was a shoot out. A pretty exciting one until the end. :( That game was loud.

In other news, Drew Henson just worked out for the Dolphins: Link

18. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Carr has shown some progress of that there is no doubt. He still has flaws in his game such as the fumbilitis and the bad mechanics and his stats are skewed somewhat but his ability to read defenses and deliver the football from a set position has improved...quite a bit actually. The OL has shown moderate progress and with the added youth it should only improve over the course of the season and the years to come.

I am very happy to see that progress is being made with our offense and hope that the trend continues. I haven't been optimistic about Carr and our offense in quite a while. Let's try and look at the bright points and not focus on the fumbles, meaningless touchdowns, and some of the inherent flaws in his game. Bottom line is he has made more progress in 6 months under Kubiak than he did with 4 years under the previous regime. It's a slow process but at least now there is evidence of improvement, and for that I am grateful. I also appreciate the fact that Kubiak has the offense still playing and competing even in the face of inevitable defeat. Now if we could only get a heart transplant for the defense, we could start to compete as a team on any given Sunday.

Doug from The Woodlands

DocBar likes this.
  19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He has been signed to the Vikings' practice squad.

Kind of surprised he was still eligible.