Texans part ways with Weaver, Salaam and Demps

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanfan2002114, Feb 25, 2009.

1. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

As the 12:01 a.m. Friday deadline for the start of free agency approaches, the Texans are continuing to make moves. They are releasing defensive end Anthony Weaver, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and safety Will Demps today.

Weaver is the only player of the three who started last season. He said Monday he found out he would be waived this week. The Texans are looking for a replacement for Weaver at left defensive end in free agency or the draft.

Salaam played behind rookie left tackle Duane Brown last season. Demps began the season as a starter, but lost his job when the Texans moved Eugene Wilson and Nick Ferguson into the lineup.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6280713.html

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6280713.html
    As the 12:01 a.m. Friday deadline for the start of free agency approaches, the Texans are continuing to make moves. They are releasing defensive end Anthony Weaver, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and safety Will Demps today.

Weaver is the only player of the three who started last season. He said Monday he found out he would be waived this week. The Texans are looking for a replacement for Weaver at left defensive end in free agency or the draft.

Salaam played behind rookie left tackle Duane Brown last season. Demps began the season as a starter, but lost his job when the Texans moved Eugene Wilson and Nick Ferguson into the lineup.

3. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

I beat you to it!! :whip:

Mods, merge thread.

4. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm not sure whether to be surprised by Ephraim or not. I like the guy and with yearly injuries and line experience a premium I thought he'd stay. But he also wasn't too happy last year as a backup.

5. Polo

Polo Guest

Out with the old, in with the new...

I like it.

6. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

This is a lot more cuts than I thought we would make. I'm fine if we get more experienced players, I'd just hate to fill all of these vacancies with rookies or castoffs.

7. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Salaam was the ultimate pro who stepped up his game, helped his replacement and earned his pay check. I salute him.

bah007 likes this.
  8. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

I'm surprised that we cut Salaam but happy as heck that we cut Weaver!

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

It's Christmas!!!! Salaam has been cut! finally! Apparently, the organization finally sees my value and is now operating largely based on my reccomendations. Now, as long as Studdard doesn't make the 53 man roster, everyone will know who is really in charge... That would be me, for those who can't follow my twisted logic. What a day this is shaping up to be. God bless Rashod Butler and the Houston Texans!

10. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

So I know we save about 800K on the cap this season for dropping Weaver, what do the savings look like for the other two?

11. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

I'll be glad when the business end is over and we can get to arguing over the draft.

12. Polo

Polo Guest

We actually have some guys that should have a fair amount of experience...Butler, Studdard...guys like that should have a better chance of making the team and being an intergal part of things...

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

still giggling like a 4 year old girl............................ yippee!

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

:specnatz:......:chickendance:.......:yahoo:

Smilies can't describe the pride i feel as i watch the names coming out on the cut list. To borrow a poker term, It looks like they are finally going all in trying to get to that next level! I'm ready for next season already.

15. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

what's new? j/k

16. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Man, I hope that the cutting of Demps is a sign that the team confident that they can re-sign Wilson.

17. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I can see this. It is nice when a team decides to stop trotting out the same guys that got them to .500 and to try and turn it up a notch with others. I think there is something to be said for being able to cut guys who you desperately needed on the roster before....kind of like last camp when you actually have tough cuts because there is talent there.

18. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

I wouldn't say that they have any experience. Butler has maybe seen 5 live game snaps at most. Studdard might have a series or two under his belt. While both have been here awhile neither has much in the wat of regular season expierence.

The cutting of Salaam is probably more a sign that Gibbs is fairlty confident in the abilities of Butler and Studdard.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Now Chester is going to go on the radio and cry that his friend is no longer on the team and demand more money now and complain that talks of an extension have stalled.

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

As LTs?