Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans open talks with players with expiring

srrono

All Pro
Texans general manager Rick Smith met with Ralph Vitolo, the agent for fullback Vonta Leach, at the Indianapolis scouting combine, but no deal was done.

Leach, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery after playing in the Pro Bowl last month, said he's hopeful a deal can be reached before the current collective bargaining agreement expires Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

"I'm hoping we can get something done because I want to return, but if we can't, I'll test the market when (free agency) begins," Leach said. "I think we're on the verge of something special. We're only a couple of players away, and I want to be here when we finally turn it around."

Leach said his knee "feels great" and he's been working out regularly while waiting to see what's going to happen between the players and owners this week.

The Texans have spoken to and will speak to the agents for many of their players who are scheduled to be restricted or unrestricted free agents on Friday. If there’s no CBA, players won’t be able to sign or re-sign until a new agreement is reached.

Besides Leach, some of the Texans’ most prominent players whose contracts expire are defensive tackle Shaun Cody, tight end Owen Daniels, strong safety Bernard Pollard, linebacker Zach Diles, receiver Jacoby Jones, offensive tackle Rashad Butler, defensive end Mark Anderson, quarterback Matt Leinart, running back Derrick Ward and punt Matt Turk.

Running back Arian Foster is a two-year veteran who’s an exclusive rights player unable to sign with another team.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7450725.html

srrono

All Pro
Vonta Leach KEEPER a must
Shaun Cody let go
Owen Daniels let market be made
Bernard Pollard need to upgrade this position
Zach Diles let go
Jacoby Jones depends on price need a consistant #2 WR
Rashad Butler Keeper
Mark Anderson Keeper
Matt Leinart Keeper
Derrick Ward Keeper if price is right
Matt Turk let go

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Shaun Cody let go
Zach Diles let go
Rashad Butler Keeper
Mark Anderson Keeper
Matt Leinart Keeper
Matt Turk let go
That makes a lot of sense .... let the guy who was your most consistant player on the DL walk. The Texans are loaded at the position , we dont need him ....

:saracasm:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
"I'm hoping we can get something done because I want to return, but if we can't, I'll test the market when (free agency) begins," Leach said. "I think we're on the verge of something special. We're only a couple of players away, and I want to be here when we finally turn it around."
What a maroon..... he obviously don't visit these boards.

gary

Hall of Fame
Shaun Cody let go
Zach Diles let go
Rashad Butler Keeper
Mark Anderson Keeper
Matt Leinart Keeper
Matt Turk let go
Leinat is probably going to walk because he probably won't ever see the football field here.

srrono

All Pro
That makes a lot of sense .... let the guy who was your most consistant player on the DL walk. The Texans are loaded at the position , we dont need him ....

:saracasm:
Codys 2 sacks in 6 years must be KEEPER material for you I am thinking we can keep Mark Anderson 25.5 sacks in 6 years and 4 sacks with the texans thats double YOUR BOY CODYS HAD HIS WHOLE CAREER! I guess I am wrong lets lose Anderson and keep Cody.

srrono

All Pro
Leinat is probably going to walk because he probably won't ever see the football field here.
yeah I think Lienart is going to test the market but he wants to start but no ones going to give him a starting job out right so I think we may have the inside track to get him back. he isnt a great QB but at least he has starting exp if Schaub gets hurt. I would rather have Wallace as a back up QB but may be to expensive.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Codys 2 sacks in 6 years must be KEEPER material for you I am thinking we can keep Mark Anderson 25.5 sacks in 6 years and 4 sacks with the texans thats double YOUR BOY CODYS HAD HIS WHOLE CAREER! I guess I am wrong lets lose Anderson and keep Cody.
Well, it shows that you are comparing apples to oranges, but honestly both are JAGs. I don't have a strong feeling about either staying or going, since neither is really a true difference maker.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Cody and Anderson don't play the same position in either the 4-3 or 3-4. It really isn't an either or proposition.

srrono

All Pro
Cody and Anderson don't play the same position in either the 4-3 or 3-4. It really isn't an either or proposition.
They get a paycheck from the same place right? Some times you have to let some go to pay others. I am not sating anderson is a must have if we can improve on him then im all for it I just would rather have anderson over cody.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
They get a paycheck from the same place right? Some times you have to let some go to pay others. I am not sating anderson is a must have if we can improve on him then im all for it I just would rather have anderson over cody.
They are both at or near league minimum players. The bigger issue with guys like that isn't the money but the roster spot.

scourge

Digression King
I like your logic.

If in free agency the Vikings were having to make a decision between Brian Robison(DE) and Kevin Williams(DT), they should obviously let Kevin walk. This is obvious due to him only having 5 sacks in the last 4 years, whereas Brian had 13 1/2. They both get a paycheck from the same place...

Esoom

Waterboy
You know that sacks aren't the only way of judging defensive linemen right?

Esoom

Waterboy
Worst defense in NFL history-everyone needs to be replaced.
Worst pass defense in NFL history. We were pretty solid against the run, unless it was a QB doing the running. For some reason, we still have yet to find a way to stop that.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Wow! **** it let's just field DE's and WR's next year. We'll have the number one unstoppable offense and we'll lead the league in sacks. We'll be awesome!

Wolf6151

All Pro
Vonta Leach-no brainer, re-sign him.
Owen Daniels-Bye....Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can get the job done.
Jacoby Jones-maybe for league minimum, but there are good late round WR in the draft.
Mark Anderson-hell yes re-sign him, he'll come cheap, at worst he's a decent backup OLB.
Matt Leinart-he'll get starting money somewhere else.
Rashad Butler-I wish we'd re-sign him but he'll get starter money elsewhere, wish him well.
Shaun Cody-re-sign for league minimum as a backup only, if he leaves....Bye.
Zac Diles-see Shaun Cody. Backup ILB only.
Derrick Ward-I'd like to keep him but he'll get a better offer elsewhere.
Matt Turk-retire already, if not then Bye.
Bernard Pollard-re-sign him, he's not perfect but we've got bigger problems to worry about this year.

Señor Stan

El Guapo
Vonta Leach-scrub cut him.
Owen Daniels-Bye....scrub cut him
Jacoby Jones-scrub cut him
Mark Anderson-scrub cut him
Matt Leinart-scrub cut him
Rashad Butler-scrub cut him
Shaun Cody-scrub cut him.
Zac Diles-scrub cut him.
Derrick Ward-scrub cut him.
Matt Turk-scrub cut him.
Bernard Pollard-scrub cut him.
Norged it for you.

Reactions: JB

srrono

All Pro
Wow! **** it let's just field DE's and WR's next year. We'll have the number one unstoppable offense and we'll lead the league in sacks. We'll be awesome!
WTF am i missing something? What did anderson do wrong? He had 21 tackles and 4 sacks in limited time as a back up everyones acting like I pissed in your koolaid because I sugest keeping him and having a better #2WR we may lose Daniels (wants to much money and injury risk)and jones(hands of stone never has evolved to potential) but I guess our offense is so good we dont need to bring in no additional offense help at all. I know our defense sucked but you dont scrap your offense to fix the defense. Then next season everyone will be crying how our offense sucks.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Gotta sign Leach and Daniels. I know we have other TEs, but you never get rid of Schaub's security blanket. The offense was never the same after OD's injury, and he only recently started getting in the swing of things.

scourge

Digression King
WTF am i missing something? What did anderson do wrong? He had 21 tackles and 4 sacks in limited time as a back up everyones acting like I pissed in your koolaid because I sugest keeping him and having a better #2WR we may lose Daniels (wants to much money and injury risk)and jones(hands of stone never has evolved to potential) but I guess our offense is so good we dont need to bring in no additional offense help at all. I know our defense sucked but you dont scrap your offense to fix the defense. Then next season everyone will be crying how our offense sucks.
Yes, you are. This wasn't about Anderson doing anything wrong, this was about Corrosion saying it's insane to just let go the most consistant man you have on the line. You seem to not grasp that Anderson is a DE, and as such should have more sacks than Cody, who is a DT. Sacks are not Cody's primary role on the line. He's not even in on passing downs that often, iirc. Part of a DT's job is to eat up as many blockers as possible to allow DE's a better chance to get by for the sack.

You can't just grade all linemen by sack totals. Well, you can, but it's ridiculous...

rmartin65

Phil Kessel: Nice Guy. Tries Hard.
You can't just grade all linemen by sack totals. Well, you can, but it's ridiculous...
What!? When I play Madden, I demand that each of may starting DL get at least 10 sacks, whether it is in the 3-4 or the 4-3. Anybody who fails gets the axe, no matter how good their "rating" is.

I just cant figure out why I keep losing...:thinking:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Comparing Shaun Cody to Anderson and saying we should cut Cody and keep Anderson instead of Cody because Anderson got more sacks is like comparing Cody to Jacoby Jones and saying we should keep Jacoby Jones because Jacoby caught more passes. They are simply different positions.

Shaun Cody is probably the best DT/NT we have. You can't judge how well he's performed based on sacks. It's the wrong metric and that's not his job (although it would be nice to have a NT with 10 sacks). He's not highly paid and he should be pretty easy to re-sign. And once we have him, then we can bring in better NTs so that Cody is relegated to a backup role. And if the stars align and we come into a plethora of NTs somehow, then we can even cut him later because he's inexpensive.

Signing Shaun Cody has ZERO impact on whether we can sign other players.

If we don't sign him, then that forces us into a corner where we absolutely have to get multiple NTs.

srrono

All Pro
Every one is allowed thier opinion I think you guys are over valuing Cody as you guys think I am over valuing Anderson I know they are not playing the same position and thier jobs are different.
I think Anderson who brings sacks to a team that strugles to get sacks is more valuable to the defense then Codys space eater value. The Texans need a upgrade at NT because there is no 3-4 NT on roster I know Wade thinks he can convert Mitchell.The Texans can draft a space eater like Phil Taylor DT Baylor or sign a free agent.
As we all know in order to help the secondary the Texans have to put preasure on QBs. Do you really think the Texans are going to sign Asomugha? I don't think so to expensive.Texans have not even looked at players at needed positions that have been made availible. So far the Texans have made no moves at all to improve Def other than hiring new DC & staff is that really all that was needed to take a very bad def to respectability?

Rey

I don't think Cody is a must sign type of player. I think he is a solid player that won't make you look bad, but he isn't going to make many big plays either...

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yes, you are. This wasn't about Anderson doing anything wrong, this was about Corrosion saying it's insane to just let go the most consistant man you have on the line. You seem to not grasp that Anderson is a DE, and as such should have more sacks than Cody, who is a DT. Sacks are not Cody's primary role on the line. He's not even in on passing downs that often, iirc. Part of a DT's job is to eat up as many blockers as possible to allow DE's a better chance to get by for the sack.

Comparing Shaun Cody to Anderson and saying we should cut Cody and keep Anderson instead of Cody because Anderson got more sacks is like comparing Cody to Jacoby Jones and saying we should keep Jacoby Jones because Jacoby caught more passes. They are simply different positions.

Shaun Cody is probably the best DT/NT we have. You can't judge how well he's performed based on sacks. It's the wrong metric and that's not his job (although it would be nice to have a NT with 10 sacks). He's not highly paid and he should be pretty easy to re-sign. And once we have him, then we can bring in better NTs so that Cody is relegated to a backup role. And if the stars align and we come into a plethora of NTs somehow, then we can even cut him later because he's inexpensive.

If we don't sign him, then that forces us into a corner where we absolutely have to get multiple NTs.

Good posts by both of ya .... :texflag:

srrono I suggest you go back and watch some game film of Cody #1. He out performed every other DT we have on the roster over the course of the season. Superstud DT ? No .... Capable DT who wont cost much ? Absolutely.

#2 You need to understand the difference between a DE and DT's responsibilities in any defensive alignment.

Not resigning Cody puts you over a barrel forcing you to either sign or draft multiple players at the position. Signing him leaves your options open to improve in other ways.

srrono

All Pro
You need to understand the difference between a DE and DT's responsibilities in any defensive alignment.

I do know the difference between DE DT and I get your point, as a role player Cody is good I would like our 3-4 NT to be a PLAYMAKER or a strength of the Texans line not just serviceable. Cody for depth is cool but not for the answer at NT.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Every one is allowed thier opinion I think you guys are over valuing Cody as you guys think I am over valuing Anderson I know they are not playing the same position and thier jobs are different.
I think Anderson who brings sacks to a team that strugles to get sacks is more valuable to the defense then Codys space eater value. The Texans need a upgrade at NT because there is no 3-4 NT on roster I know Wade thinks he can convert Mitchell.The Texans can draft a space eater like Phil Taylor DT Baylor or sign a free agent.
As we all know in order to help the secondary the Texans have to put preasure on QBs. Do you really think the Texans are going to sign Asomugha? I don't think so to expensive.Texans have not even looked at players at needed positions that have been made availible. So far the Texans have made no moves at all to improve Def other than hiring new DC & staff is that really all that was needed to take a very bad def to respectability?

You seem to think it is an either/or situation with Cody & Anderson. The signing of one should have no bearing on the other.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

And people are always banging on Okoye for the same things. Not getting sacks from the DT position.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You need to understand the difference between a DE and DT's responsibilities in any defensive alignment.

I do know the difference between DE DT and I get your point, as a role player Cody is good I would like our 3-4 NT to be a PLAYMAKER or a strength of the Texans line not just serviceable. Cody for depth is cool but not for the answer at NT.
I think we all would like that. Thing is there are so many holes to fill in this defense that you cant really afford to let your most consistant DT walk.

Demeco ? Hows he gonna look after an injury that in many cases is the end of a career ? ILB is a huge questionmark right now.

Barwin - How healthy is he , will he have lost a step ? What do we have outside of Barwin at OLB ?

How much do the above injuries affect the psyche of those players going foward ?

We've got next to nothing at either safety position right now - Pollard hasnt resigned and is Nolan your FS ?

Are you satisfied with Quin and Jackson as your corners ? Im sure as hell not.

Not resigning Cody - even as a 2 down DT is pretty silly to me when you have so many other concerns at every level of the defense.

I

beerlover

Hall of Fame
And people are always banging on Okoye for the same things. Not getting sacks from the DT position.
Except Texans made Okoye a top 10 pick, passing on what have become the best CB & MLB in the NFL. Cody was a street free agent.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think 0k0y3 gets bashed more for not holding the point of attack than anything else. He quite often gets driven off the LOS.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Different expectations.

Okoye gets banged because he's a top 10 pick who ISN'T our best DT and he should be. He was expected to be a penetrator who causes havoc on the other side of the ball and he rarely if ever does that. He was expected to collapse the pocket so that the QB couldn't step up to get away from Mario and he doesn't do that. At the end of the day, Okoye plays like just a guy and not like a top 10 pick.

Cody is expected to hold down the line and he does a decent job of that. He's not a top 10 talent and he doesn't play like it. He is just a guy but he's a lot better than some of the other guys we've tried in that spot.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Different expectations.

Okoye gets banged because he's a top 10 pick who ISN'T our best DT and he should be. He was expected to be a penetrator who causes havoc on the other side of the ball and he rarely if ever does that. He was expected to collapse the pocket so that the QB couldn't step up to get away from Mario and he doesn't do that. At the end of the day, Okoye plays like just a guy and not like a top 10 pick.

Cody is expected to hold down the line and he does a decent job of that. He's not a top 10 talent and he doesn't play like it. He is just a guy but he's a lot better than some of the other guys we've tried in that spot.
This is true, but in the RS and FB defenses, Okoye was not asked to collapse the pocket, he was asked to play run first.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
This is true, but in the RS and FB defenses, Okoye was not asked to collapse the pocket, he was asked to play run first.
And frequently didn't have the strength to hold the point of attack.

It sounds like I'm bashing Okoye now and that's not really my intention. He has played well enough to be on the field when compared to the other guys we had. But he hasn't been spectacular and if you're chosen #10, you should be pretty damned good.

Our front four hasn't been able to get consistent pressure on the passer and at least part of the reason for that has to be Okoye.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
And frequently didn't have the strength to hold the point of attack.

It sounds like I'm bashing Okoye now and that's not really my intention. He has played well enough to be on the field when compared to the other guys we had. But he hasn't been spectacular and if you're chosen #10, you should be pretty damned good.

Our front four hasn't been able to get consistent pressure on the passer and at least part of the reason for that has to be Okoye.
I agree, I just think he gets a lot more heat than deserved. He is not the one that made the selection @ #10

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
What are the Texans waiting for..........I would hate to think what our running game minus Vonta would look like............

vleach44I

I love the fans Its the front office who has to make that decision

16 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone