Texans open talks with players with expiring

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Mar 1, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Texans general manager Rick Smith met with Ralph Vitolo, the agent for fullback Vonta Leach, at the Indianapolis scouting combine, but no deal was done.

Leach, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery after playing in the Pro Bowl last month, said he's hopeful a deal can be reached before the current collective bargaining agreement expires Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

"I'm hoping we can get something done because I want to return, but if we can't, I'll test the market when (free agency) begins," Leach said. "I think we're on the verge of something special. We're only a couple of players away, and I want to be here when we finally turn it around."

Leach said his knee "feels great" and he's been working out regularly while waiting to see what's going to happen between the players and owners this week.

The Texans have spoken to and will speak to the agents for many of their players who are scheduled to be restricted or unrestricted free agents on Friday. If there’s no CBA, players won’t be able to sign or re-sign until a new agreement is reached.

Besides Leach, some of the Texans’ most prominent players whose contracts expire are defensive tackle Shaun Cody, tight end Owen Daniels, strong safety Bernard Pollard, linebacker Zach Diles, receiver Jacoby Jones, offensive tackle Rashad Butler, defensive end Mark Anderson, quarterback Matt Leinart, running back Derrick Ward and punt Matt Turk.

Running back Arian Foster is a two-year veteran who’s an exclusive rights player unable to sign with another team.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7450725.html

2. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Vonta Leach KEEPER a must
    Shaun Cody let go
    Owen Daniels let market be made
    Bernard Pollard need to upgrade this position
    Zach Diles let go
    Jacoby Jones depends on price need a consistant #2 WR
    Rashad Butler Keeper
    Mark Anderson Keeper
    Matt Leinart Keeper
    Derrick Ward Keeper if price is right
    Matt Turk let go

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

That makes a lot of sense .... let the guy who was your most consistant player on the DL walk. The Texans are loaded at the position , we dont need him ....

:saracasm:

4. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

As in the way you and Bill are at the club ?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

What a maroon..... he obviously don't visit these boards.

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Leinat is probably going to walk because he probably won't ever see the football field here.

7. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Codys 2 sacks in 6 years must be KEEPER material for you I am thinking we can keep Mark Anderson 25.5 sacks in 6 years and 4 sacks with the texans thats double YOUR BOY CODYS HAD HIS WHOLE CAREER! I guess I am wrong lets lose Anderson and keep Cody.

8. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

yeah I think Lienart is going to test the market but he wants to start but no ones going to give him a starting job out right so I think we may have the inside track to get him back. he isnt a great QB but at least he has starting exp if Schaub gets hurt. I would rather have Wallace as a back up QB but may be to expensive.

9. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Well, it shows that you are comparing apples to oranges, but honestly both are JAGs. I don't have a strong feeling about either staying or going, since neither is really a true difference maker.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Cody and Anderson don't play the same position in either the 4-3 or 3-4. It really isn't an either or proposition.

11. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

They get a paycheck from the same place right? Some times you have to let some go to pay others. I am not sating anderson is a must have if we can improve on him then im all for it I just would rather have anderson over cody.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

They are both at or near league minimum players. The bigger issue with guys like that isn't the money but the roster spot.

13. scourge

scourge Digression King

I like your logic.

If in free agency the Vikings were having to make a decision between Brian Robison(DE) and Kevin Williams(DT), they should obviously let Kevin walk. This is obvious due to him only having 5 sacks in the last 4 years, whereas Brian had 13 1/2. They both get a paycheck from the same place...

thunderkyss likes this.
  14. Esoom

Esoom Veteran

You know that sacks aren't the only way of judging defensive linemen right?

15. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Sometimes I wonder if people realize there is more to playing Dline than just sack totals.

16. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

Worst defense in NFL history-everyone needs to be replaced.

17. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

False, we had the worst defense in NFL history a few years ago, I vaguely recall a player dubbed P-burnt

18. Esoom

Esoom Veteran

Worst pass defense in NFL history. We were pretty solid against the run, unless it was a QB doing the running. For some reason, we still have yet to find a way to stop that.

19. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Wow! **** it let's just field DE's and WR's next year. We'll have the number one unstoppable offense and we'll lead the league in sacks. We'll be awesome!

20. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Vonta Leach-no brainer, re-sign him.
    Owen Daniels-Bye....Dreesen, Casey, and Graham can get the job done.
    Jacoby Jones-maybe for league minimum, but there are good late round WR in the draft.
    Mark Anderson-hell yes re-sign him, he'll come cheap, at worst he's a decent backup OLB.
    Matt Leinart-he'll get starting money somewhere else.
    Rashad Butler-I wish we'd re-sign him but he'll get starter money elsewhere, wish him well.
    Shaun Cody-re-sign for league minimum as a backup only, if he leaves....Bye.
    Zac Diles-see Shaun Cody. Backup ILB only.
    Derrick Ward-I'd like to keep him but he'll get a better offer elsewhere.
    Matt Turk-retire already, if not then Bye.
    Bernard Pollard-re-sign him, he's not perfect but we've got bigger problems to worry about this year.