Texans On The Brink

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan4Ever, May 19, 2009.

1. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

I don't know if this has been posted yet but NFL.com has the Texans as one of the teams on the brink, here's what they had to say:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8105effd&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

We were also ranked #20 out of 32 teams and even through it is still early in the season, NFL.com wrote that:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d810536b4&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Many people have spoken highly of Antonio Smith and I hope he can secure that "other" DE spot once and for all and become a pass rushing threat off of the edge. As for our DBs, we've added some new talent and have some young guys who lack the expierence but have the physical tools needed in order to be successful IMO. Hopefully, we can finally make the playoffs just as the Rockets got past the first round of the playoffs.

:texflag:

2. Polo

Polo Guest

I think that Matt Shcaub has to be one of the bigger Question marks on the offensive side of the ball...

Can he stay healthy, and can he cut down on his turnovers...

If he can do those two things then we should be great offensively...

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Hmm, am I the only one who was thinking this thread was going to be about Alex Brink? :thinking:

4. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

No I was thinking the same thing when I read the title.

5. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

So can we all agree that Alex Brink's new nickname is The Brink?

6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Don't set yourself up for disapointment like that, that's just not what he does.

7. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Brink on the brink of not making the cut-

8. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

It's a feast or famine thing for us, IMO.

You have two serious questions marks at the skill positions on offense. Shaub's proven he can't stay healthy and he is going to have to prove otherwise. And our RB situation is very tenuous with a 200lbs RB who runs like a 230lbs RB. You could even throw Andre in there, who's had his share of injury concerns in his career.

If you're running Orlovsky and Chris Brown/Foster/Johnson/Moats out there for any extended period of time you can forget the hope hope of continued improvement for this team.

9. Hooston Texan

Hooston Texan All Pro

Beat me to it. Smith's job on most plays will be to secure the point of attack (or pursue if the play goes away from him)--basically what Weaver was asked to do during his time here. Smith is no more than an average "off the edge" pass-rusher--which is still far better than what Weaver gave us--but he is one hellacious interior pass-rusher on passing downs. Now, we have a guy we don't have to take out in long-yardage--we can slide him in the middle and he instantly becomes the best inside-rusher this franchise has ever had except for the first couple weeks of Amobi's rookie year.

Barwin is the guy we hope can bring the heat from the outside. If he can do that and Amobi's struggles are behind him, then the only question mark (barring injury) on the defensive line is the other DT in non-long-yardage situations.

10. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Well, hopefully Smith can take the pressure off of Okoye or TJ and maybe our D-Line can keep the opposing linemen off of our LBs and let Cushing and Barwin stalk and run rampant all across the field.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

ESPN's John Clayton is on the Texans' bandwagon too. The Texans are one of eight teams he picked to be the 2009 surprise teams...
    "which is possible"...
    wow, you'd think he was a homer or something

here's his list..
    1. Seahawks
    2. Bears
    3. Bengals
    4. Packers
    5. Texans
    6. Redskins
    7. Bills
    8. Browns

12. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    I thought that, too :) I'd like to win more than just the winnable games though. I want a couple of wins against favored teams, too :wild:

False Start likes this.
  13. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

14. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I agree with everyone, Alex Brink is the key to making the playoffs.

15. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Something tells me Barwin is going to take his spot come mid season....his atheleticism is undeniable........