Texans on MNF?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DerekLee1, Dec 11, 2007.

1. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

Do you think the Texans have improved enough and created enough rivalry (Jags, Titans, cowboys, Colts) that we may get a shot at MNF for the first time in franchise history next year?

2. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

I think so. At least a Sunday night Flex game probably.

3. austintexanite

austintexanite All Pro

I have to believe yes. It will probably be against the Titans, with the whole Mario and Vince thing.

4. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

A lot of that will ride on what happens in the next 3 games. Go 2-1 and finish 8-8. As strong as the AFC South is, there are a lot of intriguing matchups for every divisional game.

I don't think the Texans play the Cowboys next year, unless you are referring to the preseason game.

5. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

If wwe finish up at 6-10 again, then no, we won't be on MNF imo

If we win 8 games I think it will happen

6. SA Texan

SA Texan Veteran

I would be happier with a Sunday night game. I think those are considered to be the marquee matchups now, more so than Monday night game.

7. DerekLee1

DerekLee1 Hall of Fame

I agree, but it's the whole historic thing. We've had two SNF games and in two days, a Thursday night game, but still nothing on Monday.

8. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Have you seen the teams that have played on MNF this year? If we go 8-8, I see a MNF easily, and SNF game, too.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Looking at this seasons schedule as the metric for MNF inclusion, the Texans might be over qualified. 17 teams currently sub .500 have played or will play on MNF this season.

10. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

You ain't kidding. If anybody needs a flex schedule it's MNF.
    SNF has done a little better picking their schedule. I think they've only flexed one game so far and that was bumping Chicago/Seattle for the Pats/Bills. IMO, they could have let that one be as well as the Bears/Hawks was a much better game than the Pats blowout of the Bills.

11. adam

adam Guero

They've put the Bills on, why not the Texans?

12. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

yeah, but the intro music hasn't changed. seriously, the superbowl should be on a monday night. once we do that, we'd have to wait approx. a year for the nation's industrial giants to recognize the lack of a workforce on superbowl monday. Coca-Cola, GM, Toyota, Pepsi, and Microsoft--among many others-- lobby congress hard and voila, a four day weekend in january.

13. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

I hope so. I really thought the Saints game might have been a good game to air nationally but I guess not.

We deserve more than just one Thursday night game I feel. But at the same time there are plenty of other teams that I think do too.

The Vikings are sure to get one next year and so are the Browns. The Lions also and the Bucs.

Team that have a MNF game this year and SHOULD NOT get one next IMO are the Dolphins, Bengals, Eagles, and Falcons.

Here are the teams we play next year besides our rivals
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Green Bay
    Minnesota

Looking at those...I think a game against the Jags or the Titans would be more exciting. We win two more games I think most definitely we get a MNF game.

14. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

It's one thing to be on Monday Night, it's another thing to do it at home!

15. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

There's very little chance the Texans will pull a Monday night game until they make the playoffs. The franchise is basically non-existent in the minds of many NFL fans. As bad as teams like the Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Falcons, and Niners have been, they all have either a storied franchise history and the fanbase that goes with it, OR a player or two with national starpower.

Andre Johnson is a top-five receiver, but he's not flashy enough for the "Worldwide Leader."

16. TheCD

TheCD All Pro

Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't there talk a while ago of Bob McNair not wanting us to be on Monday night? I could have sworn I heard something like that.

17. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Only a retarded owner would not want his team (product) getting national tv exposure.

18. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I always thought to be on Monday Night Football, you had to be .500 or better the previous season. Probably one of those myths, but it certainly isn't that way any more.

23 of the 32 teams (that's all but 9 teams in the league) will have played a Monday night game this season, and 13 of those 23 had records of .500 or below and 7 teams were 7-9 or worse in 2006.

Arizona and Washington both on MNF this year, were 5-11 in '06.
    Miami and Minnesota were both 6-10 and the Vikings HOST MNF.
    The 49ers, Falcons and Bills were 7-9 in '06, with SF playing twice on MNF hosting once, and Atlanta HOSTING TWICE.

The 10-6 Jets didn't get one, the 9-7 Chiefs didn't get one and the 8-8 Panthers and Rams didn't get one. Granted, those teams weren't as good this year, but SF, Atlanta, and Miami, who all shouldn't have gotten a MNF this year based on last year's records, still sucked this year. That's probably why the matchups have been horrible on MNF recently.

So anyway, based on some of those sorry teams with 5-11, 6-10 records getting a Monday nighter, I see no reason why the Texans can't score a Monday night game next year....especially if they win another game or two.

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

The people who make the MNF schedule look at one thing. Would the team be interesting nationally? A playoff appearance only fits that bill.

20. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Cowboys? what rivalry with the Cowboys? sometimes some of you fans from Houston just don't get it. There is NO rivalry with the Cowboys. Never was and probably never will be. You can't play a team 2 times in 8 years and call it a rivalry. Haley's Comet comes around just about as often as a Texans v. Cowboys matchup. As for the divisional teams, there is a rivalry with the Titans and Jags, no doubt about it. The Napoleonic Complex that so many Houston fans have towards Dallas and especially the Cowboys is pretty sad and pathetic. Some of yall would rather watch the Cowboys lose than the Texans win..its just sad. I don't know where it comes from but its quite pathetic and juvenile and shows the jealous and envy that permeates our fanbase. I wish people would just grow up and make it Texas first. You will NEVER catch me rooting for any east coast team vs. the Cowboys. That just goes against everything I believe in as a Texan and someone from the Southwest. Screw the Yankees.

I think we will get a Sunday Night game and that is actually better than a Monday Night game nowadays. I would rather the Texans get a Monday Night game though because that way I can still watch a full slate of NFL football on Sunday and then watch my beloved Texans on Monday. if its Sunday Night, I pretty much miss the 3pm games....