Texans offseason rumors thread

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

2. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

Here's you one:

The way we hear it, the feeling in Houston is that the Texans’ window to trade QB Sage Rosenfels likely has closed. The Vikings reportedly had interest in Rosenfels last offseason, but no deal came together. With Rosenfels entering the final year of his contract — and coming off a season in which he threw 10 interceptions in 174 attempts — there may not be a robust market for the streaky quarterback. A source close to the club notes the Texans might not have much interest in trading Rosenfels as it is, what with starter Matt Schaub failing to play all 16 games in each of his first two seasons in Houston.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/wrapup010409.htm

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

just a collumn folks and rambling

and wont' EVER happen

but interesting
    http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/peppers_29189___article.html/panthers_want.html

I would give up anthony weaver and a 1st LOL

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-spglauber5995349jan11,0,7613850.story

5. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Nice find, makes for some interesting (wet) dreams. A 1 and a 3 for Peppers similar to the Jared Allen deal last season would likely be appealing to quite a few teams. There is probably slim chance of that happening here but fun to think about. Hows the guy know he likes Houston?

6. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

7. Andrew6

Andrew6 Site Contributor

how old is Peppers?

8. superdave532

superdave532 Rookie

Turning 29 in a week or so.

9. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Born on 1/18/1980. No way I give up a high first round pick for a guy 1 step away from 30.

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Please DO NOT franchise Robinson, no way that Dunta deserves anything like top 5 CB money. He wasn't even top 5 quality before the injury and we haven't seen him come all the way back yet.

I understand that Robinson is part of the soul of the team but you can't pay out the patootie for senitmental value!!

11. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

no it's actually quite smart. it's a 1 year insurance policy to assess his value after a full training camp and season. you needn't worry about the "cost". we have the cap space for it and it would be the best way to handle it. it's not like after 2009 we'd be required to pay him that same anual salary for another 4 years. at that point we would negotiate a new contract based much more accurately on his value.

Hervoyel likes this.
  12. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Youre crazy!!!! I would give our 1st and 3rd for Peppers.

13. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

I regretfully agree. Based on the interview I saw after the Chicago game, Dunta seems to think he is worth more than the Texans are going to want to pay him.

If it's a split, I hope it's an amicable one.

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Guys, I understand what you're saying but barrett seems to have a much better grasp of the situation. It's one year and nobody says we're obligated to reach an extended contract with Dunta after that. You pay him the big salary for one season to see if he's all the way back and how he plays in whatever scheme our next DC uses and then look at it again next season. This situation with Dunta is a perfect example of how to use the franchise tag wisely. Everybody wins this way. The Texans get to put off any long-term decision for a year and don't get forced into paying for a replacement immediatly. Dunta gets to be paid like the corner he feels he is (at least this year). What's not to like?

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I listened to him and got exactly the opposite impression. To me he seemed like a guy who knew he wasn't at 100% and wasn't going to act like he was, much less act like he was a pro-bowler at 100% when he has never gone to the pro-bowl.

16. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Dunta is a difference maker. Extend him or franchise him. He's worth it.

17. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

Agreed, easy...

People have to understand the leadership and motivational qualities of a player like Dunta. He is also my Favorite Texan and I selfishly want himn to stay.

Texan JBZ likes this.
  18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, Dunta will be here next season. I don't think it'll be for top 10 CB money either. He was an average CB after a horrific injury last season. What team would offer up that kind of jack for an unproven commodity (post-injury)?

Let him shop around to determine his worth. If it's reasonable, match it. If not, let him walk if he so chooses.

I like Dunta a lot, but I'm not willing to overpay for his services.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  19. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Luckily, we have a Mid first round pick. And if we could get Weaver off our hands as a bonus, I'm all for it.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I get what your saying and I feel like NFL organizations view more similarly to this than how fans, like myself do. The thing that gets me is that the entire amount is guaranteed money (except if the player and team reach a long term deal, I think). Which the money would be prorated in some way? Anyways, in that case I think it may be worth it.

However, for simplicity purposes, let's pretend they go ahead and make him a 3 year offer worth $12 million ($9 million guranteed with $1 million salary each year). It's usually structured way different (in the teams favor anyway) so this is just to be simple. Randall Gay got a 4-year, $14mill deal with like $4 million guaranteed last year.

So, would a player in Dunta's situation pass up this deal? To me, the Franchise Tag seems really good from a players perspective but they always seem to dislike it. With a deal in place like this, the team has him locked down for 3 years, and if they end up cutting him... they're out less total and per year, than the whole franchise tag.

In Dunta's case, I think the use of the Franchise Tag would be similar to how you've suggested. Not because his PLAY is worth top 5 cb money, but b/c they want an extra year to evaluate him, be fair, and because Dunta may mean more to this team how he is... than a top CB like Clements. His overall value may be worth that money.