Texans' offseason report:

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

For the second consecutive season, the Houston Texans made a late-season run to finish 8-8 and just outside of the playoff mix. But instead of frustration, the excitement seems to grow with each passing season.

This team has a lot of young, talented players on the roster, on both sides of the ball. And while Houston seems fairly set at the starting positions, the team needs to improve its depth across the board. If they can stay healthy, this could finally be the year the Texans break into the playoff picture.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=531360

TexanAddict likes this.
  2. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

that was probably one of the more balanced reviews I've seen, and more or less in line with my thoughts right now. Well, except for one thing, I think another RB is more important than a matching reciever to deflect the coverage off AJ.

3. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Even WITH all the coverage he still rips em for 100yds a game. Amazing.

4. Ckw

Ckw Guest

This is just really starting to irritate me. I truly do believe the only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he is a white guy playing a position dominated by black guys. So because he is white, he automatically is only good as a slot receiver? It just blows me away how many people obviously have not watched the games or even looked at the stats; Kevin Walter has been one of the better #2 WRs over the last two years. The film shows it; the stats show it. :wild:

5. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

so explain the respect Wes Welker gets

6. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

He only said that there is a belief nowadays that white recievers can only play slot, due to the sucess of Wes Welker, Stokely, Curtis etc and not be a true wideout.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I guess I don't get it. Welker and Walter are #2s. They're critical "move-the-chains" guys. The big name guys don't get the opportunities to make highlight reel plays if the #2 guys don't keep the chains moving. That's as critical to offensive success as having a big back to convert those 3 & 1s IMHO. If the press or the "great unwashed" fandom out there doesn't get that, then they don't know the game.

8. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Since this is an off-season report thread, I thought I'd post this link on the Texans from CBS Sports here

Mods pls relocate this post if this link has already been posted. Thx.

9. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

I think we're just looking at what he wrote differently. I see it as him saying that Walter isn't as respected as say Welker because he isn't a slot reciever, going over the middle every play, but an actual wideout where there just isn't many white guys playing that position anymore and it's harder for him to gain respect because of that. I love watching Welker or Kevin Curtis from Philly play; they are crucial to their teams, but that isn't what he's talking about. They might be the #2 option on their respective teams, but they aren't a true #2 wideout, and that is what he was trying to say. At least that's what I inferred. :mcnugget:

10. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

what really impressed me was Mike Golic on NFL Live was asked whats the "cinderella team" for next year and he quickly said....HOUSTON TEXANS, ya know he's the shit and for him to give us props man it made me feel all funny inside lol.

11. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Said of A-Smith. I think having him and Bulman platooning off the edge with Amobi and TJ trying to speed past guys instead of holding blocks just might give opponents fits when trying to account for the freight train coming every play.

12. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Exactly. There simply haven't been many white players that have succeeded at the #2 WR position thus a good player like Kevin Walter gets overlooked and always is seen as a backup or slot receiver.

But you have to ask, why don't the press get it? Obviously, something is clouding their judgment. As I stated before, the stats and the game tape show that Kevin Walter is a damn good WR and worthy of being a #2 WR. For some reason, most outsiders just don't realize it. Why is that? I honestly believe it is because he does not look like your typical starting WR.

You nailed it. He simply doesn't get the respect and as I stated above, certainly there is a reason for that. If you watch the games, you will notice just how many crucial plays Kevin Walter makes on a team with two Pro Bowl pass catchers in AJ and OD. But for some reason, the media as well as outside fans don't realize it.

13. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I like Golic, but I hate the overuse of the term "Cinderalla" in sports.

14. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

If it comes true then I won't mind it so much :fans:

15. Ckw

Ckw Guest

No joke about that. That would be awesome if we dominate this season. I truly expect a big step by Amobi, more greatness from Mario, typical Demeco and Dunta, and a dominant/elite offense. If I'm right about those things, this will be a fun season.

16. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I guess I see where you're coming from but I just don't understand how the press and fans can see that these guys are the reliable #2 option for their teams but not consider them to be the #2 receiver.

And when I think of classic #2 WRs, I think Steve Largent, Raymond Berry, Welker, Walter, Houshmandzadeh (sp?)

now I know some teams have their TE as the #2 option - the Colts, Chargers, and Cowboys come to mind right away. Heck, when HWWNBN was here our #2 option was the RB

But I say again, if the press and fans don't get that Walter is a solid #2, then they don't know the game.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

This is really starting to irritate me. The only reason Kevin Walter doesn't get more respect is because he plays for the Houston Texans. If Kevin Walter played for New England, New York (either version), or Dallas...he would get plenty of respect. Whatever that really means to you. Race has zero, zip, zilch to do with it. That's as absurd a statement as Limbaugh's McNabb comment.

A) Kevin Walter is a white WR.
    B) Kevin Walter is not respected.
    C) All white WRs are not respected.

This is actually an example of a Wonderlic question. If A & B are assumed true, is C:

1) True
    2) False
    3) Not Certain

What's the correct answer?

18. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

New England.

19. Ckw

Ckw Guest

I'm just curious then why you think Walter gets so little respect. Sincere question, and I am certainly open to other opinions.

Kevin Walter doesn't play for the media darling New England Patriots. Also if you are correct that the only reason Walter doesn't get respect is because he is a Houston Texan, then how do you explain Andre and OD? AJ is being noted as the best WR in the NFL by more than a couple of analysts, and he is a Texan. Owen Daniels is a Texan and was a Pro Bowler. So there has to be some other reason.

Is it just because Walter isn't super athletic? Or can the media simply not wrap their minds around a white guy being a starting WR and not a slot receiver or a TE?

Exactly. And let's not forget, Tom Brady made Jabar Gaffney look like a good receiver.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

And that reason has to be because Walter is white? Do you jump rope? Jump bail? Or only jump to conclusions? There's no logic behind your assertion that the media doesn't love white WRs. None.

BTW, Andre is the least hyped superstar in this league. And has been for years. Daniels wasn't voted into the Pro Bowl, he was added due to an injury to Antonio Gates. Maybe the reason he wasn't voted in is because he's a white TE? Maybe the reason Steve Slaton wasn't voted in is due to being a black RB? Or maybe, just maybe it's all because the Texans haven't had a winning season in their existence, and they play here in Houston in relative obscurity? Maybe.

mattieuk likes this.