Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans not too bad

BuffSoldier

Veteran
I actually think that this is one of the NFL's most competitive years in a while. As bad as the Texans seem to have been going 2-4 there are 12 teams with the same or worse record, including the defending champ Pittsburgh Steelers. There are also 3 teams with only a one game lead over the Texans. So thats a total of 15 teams that the Texans either have a better record than, are tied with, or are one game behind.

Another thing, those 3-3 teams have some pretty tough games coming up, so if we can handle buisness and beat the Titans we would be right in the middle of the pack and tied for 2nd in the AFC South with the Jags.

3-3 teams

Jacksonville plays in Philli
No doubt that with all the injuries that Jacksonville has on the defensive side of the ball, the Eagles and McNabb are the favorite to win this one at home and give us a chance to tie the Jags for 2nd in the AFC South.

Dallas plays at Carolina
QB controversy in Dallas and if they start Romo against a good Carolina defense on the road, he will definitly make mistakes. Not to mention that no one can hold Steve Smith.

Kansas City plays Seattle
Hassleback and Alexander are hurt, otherwise I give the Seahawks an easy win, but it will still probably be a close game.

Texans still have a shot at playoffs, a long shot, but a shot none the less.

bah007

Hall of Fame
I can only see us going 9-7 at best so hopefully that could get us in.

It is more likely that we finish either 7-9 or 8-8 which would prob keep us out.

all very good points and noted...but we have to come together as a team and play with consistancy. Not sure we as a team are ready to compete in the playoffs...especially not now after week 7. We'll have to see come atleast week 11-12....then we'll see how the team and the road ahead of us looks.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
Mathematically we have a shot at the playoffs, but I don't think we're anywhere near a playoff calibar team yet. Next year, perhaps, but there's too many holes on our team this season. It's nice getting optimistic after a win, but remember, Indy, Dallas, and Washington all handed it too us and we barely beat a terrible Miami team.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Mathematically we have a shot at the playoffs, but I don't think we're anywhere near a playoff calibar team yet. Next year, perhaps, but there's too many holes on our team this season. It's nice getting optimistic after a win, but remember, Indy, Dallas, and Washington all handed it too us and we barely beat a terrible Miami team.
And all of those teams have the same coach that they had last year. I'm not saying the Texans are a play-off team, what I'm saying is that to have played as bad as we have, we are still basically in the middle of the pack, and if the offensive line continues to gel and we can get a consistent running game, then we will be a much better team than alot of people expected.

lol, the worst record in the league is 1-6, everyone still has a mathematical shot at the play offs. I think 7-9 is realistic (Tenn x2, Buffalo, Oakland, Browns) and something like 8-8 or 9-7 is possible (Jags again, we did just beat them by 20) and the Browns. And keep an eye out for the Colts week 16. Battle Red jerseys, a full season under the Kubes system and the Colts should have home-field wraped up by then. Dare I even write 10-6? I think I do...

Snapple

Waterboy
Texans still have a shot at playoffs, a long shot, but a shot none the less.
Only mathematically do we have a shot, as does every team in the league. I'm glad we beat the Jags, but there are still plenty better teams than us. Right now we're still on course for a very high draft pick.

David23

Practice Squad
We had a huge improvement against the Jags, but I still think we will finish 6-10. We haven't played consistently good football to even think about making the playoffs, but we can always dream.

PoolMaster21

Practice Squad
5 of 6 on the road. Hmmm. We're one more injury in the o-line from having a top ten pick next draft. Just don't see it.
Good point - We're getting some guys back but we're still pretty thin on OL and DB. This team may be capable of 8-8 or better, but I'm sticking with 6-10 with lots of reasons to be optimistic for '07.

TheOgre

All Pro
Remember how bad we looked against Washington and Dallas then look at how this week went for them. We still have a ways to go.

BuffSoldier

Veteran
Maybe I should have left out that last line about the play-offs, my real point is that, really noone other than the Colts and Bears have been playing consistently well this year, and even the Colts were losing in the second half to the Titans and the Bears were loosing late to the Cards.

The Giants dont even step on the field until the second half and Cinci's offense isnt as good as it was supposed to be. Big Ben is having the worst season of his life, there is a QB controversy in Dallas. If McNabb isnt perfect then Philli doesnt win, Seattle's 2 best players are out, Trent Green has been out, and LJ hasnt produced as much as expected.

I wasnt imolying that the Texans are going to make a play-off push, but I was saying that the entire NFL has been inconsistent this year, not just the Texans.

Herr Doktor

Practice Squad
MY team, the Falcons, has the one thing you don't. A consistent running game. Once you get that, your team will hurt alot of teams in this league. The pressure will be off of Carr, you can take time off the clock, resting the D. Samkon is serviceable, but Dayne is nothing to shot about. I think your front office is pretty bright. They will hit the FA running back market HARD in the off season. There are many teams with a plethora of decent backs. Y'all need a slasher like Warrick Dunn (Hopefully DOminic Davis gets healthy) Once you get the running game, you will so how dramatically you will progress. You have the potential to be a very exciting team. And one people will fear nearing play off time. :redtowel:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Dallas plays at Carolina
QB controversy in Dallas and if they start Romo against a good Carolina defense on the road, he will definitly make mistakes. Not to mention that no one can hold Steve Smith.
The Cowboys shut him out last year.

Actually TNewman shut him out last year, he got so frustrated, he took a shot at a ref, and got tossed out of the game, and off the field.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
lol, the worst record in the league is 1-6, everyone still has a mathematical shot at the play offs. I think 7-9 is realistic (Tenn x2, Buffalo, Oakland, Browns) and something like 8-8 or 9-7 is possible (Jags again, we did just beat them by 20) and the Browns. And keep an eye out for the Colts week 16. Battle Red jerseys, a full season under the Kubes system and the Colts should have home-field wraped up by then. Dare I even write 10-6? I think I do...
This is where I'm at..... yes, we are a bad team..... now. Actually, we are a half decent team right now. The way we performed in our last three games puts us in the middle of the pack. Miami is still a strong defensive team, but we managed to score pretty well(17 points is good, especially against the Dolphins), the first half of the Dallas game, & the Jacksonville game. What happened to us in Dallas happened to the Giants, the Cowboys, & the Jacksonville, so I think we are middle of the pack.

We've got problems, and holes, but so does everyteam in the NFL..... the Eagles, we've seen that....... the Cowboys..... Oline, QB, SAfety(sounds familiar)......... Indy....... run Defense, running game, blitz pickup.... Houston.. run game, OL, Safety(??) LB....

I can see us beating NewEngland & Indy later this year.

No, not like we are playing now, but I'm expecting us to get a lot better by then, but those teams will only get a little better.

By no means do I mean to suggest that we'll be as good as the Pats, or the Colts, but we'll be good enough, that the "AnyGivenSunday" rule will apply.

10-6.......... I don't know about that.....

I'm thinking more like 11-5.:redtowel:

NATHANHALE

Waterboy
This is where I'm at..... yes, we are a bad team..... now. Actually, we are a half decent team right now. The way we performed in our last three games puts us in the middle of the pack. Miami is still a strong defensive team, but we managed to score pretty well(17 points is good, especially against the Dolphins), the first half of the Dallas game, & the Jacksonville game. What happened to us in Dallas happened to the Giants, the Cowboys, & the Jacksonville, so I think we are middle of the pack.

We've got problems, and holes, but so does everyteam in the NFL..... the Eagles, we've seen that....... the Cowboys..... Oline, QB, SAfety(sounds familiar)......... Indy....... run Defense, running game, blitz pickup.... Houston.. run game, OL, Safety(??) LB....

I can see us beating NewEngland & Indy later this year.

No, not like we are playing now, but I'm expecting us to get a lot better by then, but those teams will only get a little better.

By no means do I mean to suggest that we'll be as good as the Pats, or the Colts, but we'll be good enough, that the "AnyGivenSunday" rule will apply.

10-6.......... I don't know about that.....

I'm thinking more like 11-5.:redtowel:
...win 9 of our 10 next games?? What flavor is the kool-aid this week, TK?

Roughnecks

Waterboy
If we can continue to play 4 quarters and get a running game that can rack up at lease 110, 120 yards a game we will be in good shape and hopefully start getting people in the seats to pull for our guys. That being said I do not see us fighting for the first pick there are to many other bad teams out there we are not that bad the problem is they end up playing a half and just stop trying in the second half. We have been in most of the games we played just to forget to carry over after halftime. When we learn to finish teams off we will be alright but I can not wait to see what this team does to up grade next year it is going to be great the next couple of years and not being able to hear at the game because it will be sooooooooooooo loud so here is to seeing a playoff game here in Houston again in the future.

NATHANHALE

Waterboy
If we can continue to play 4 quarters and get a running game that can rack up at lease 110, 120 yards a game we will be in good shape and hopefully start getting people in the seats to pull for our guys. That being said I do not see us fighting for the first pick there are to many other bad teams out there we are not that bad the problem is they end up playing a half and just stop trying in the second half. We have been in most of the games we played just to forget to carry over after halftime. When we learn to finish teams off we will be alright but I can not wait to see what this team does to up grade next year it is going to be great the next couple of years and not being able to hear at the game because it will be sooooooooooooo loud so here is to seeing a playoff game here in Houston again in the future.
Well, according to several posters, we're going to have limited funds next year because of cap money restrictions that are going to hit us...

Actually, I'm just glad that in week 6 we have matched the total number of wins we had all of last season.

:redtowel:

Now if we can just get a Left Tackle...

:yikes:

Carr's making us forget our O-line woes. Salaam had a good game last week, but I'm not sold on him as our LT with Bedell backing him up. Sorry, but it just seems to be standing on shaky ground.

GuerillaBlack

Hall of Fame
The Cowboys shut him out last year.

Actually TNewman shut him out last year, he got so frustrated, he took a shot at a ref, and got tossed out of the game, and off the field.
I hate hearing bull****. Steve Smith barely touched the ref. He just said hey calmly and his hand tapped the ref's shoulder. He wasn't aggresive or anything.

rafterticket

Waterboy
We had a huge improvement against the Jags, but I still think we will finish 6-10. We haven't played consistently good football to even think about making the playoffs, but we can always dream.
Hey, did anyone watch "Inside The NFL" this week? It's funny - when they did the highlights for our game, at the end they said it was our third straight win over Jacksonville. They're just like me - pretending last year never happened!

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
MY team, the Falcons, has the one thing you don't. A consistent running game. Once you get that, your team will hurt alot of teams in this league. The pressure will be off of Carr, you can take time off the clock, resting the D. Samkon is serviceable, but Dayne is nothing to shot about. I think your front office is pretty bright. They will hit the FA running back market HARD in the off season. There are many teams with a plethora of decent backs. Y'all need a slasher like Warrick Dunn (Hopefully DOminic Davis gets healthy) Once you get the running game, you will so how dramatically you will progress. You have the potential to be a very exciting team. And one people will fear nearing play off time. :redtowel:
Vick gets sprinkled with accuracy dust by the QB fairy and we get Falcons fans offering advise. Jesus, will we ever turn the fricken corner ?

L33Z71

Practice Squad
I am waiting til Sunday to see where we stand. But I do have to say that I am optimistic. Its been a while, several weeks since I have been on the board, and previously had made some comments about the team and Carr in general that had nothing good in mind. lol.

After watching the Jacksonville game, I am optimistic. The same optimism that I had before the season ever started. The Texans really stepped up and played a team effort last week. They played the entire game and not just one drive or a quarter, but the entire game. Both offense and defense took advantage of turnovers, bad plays, etc...... They truely showed a sign of brilliance and the fact that this team might finally be gelling together. I think they still have a long ways to go, I do not believe that they are anywhere close to a playoff caliber team yet, but realistically who in their right mind thought that at the start of the season. If the Texans can play out the rest of the season like they played the Jags, well, they will be at least contenders. They won't be able to win all the remaining games, but hopefully at least stay competitive, and thats all I had ever really hoped for at the start of the season. Lets see if they can keep up the good play on a consistant basis.

As for me, my negative comments on Carr and the team in general are done. I have seen what the team is capable of doing and how they are capable of doing it, lets just hope for more of the same.

Go Texans

Cgold

Noob
looking at the schedule i believed we would have 8 wins.. Im hoping we can pull a shocker out and get that 9th for the first above 500 avg. If we hit 8-8 though id be pretty satisfied coming from 2-14

looking at the schedule i believed we would have 8 wins.. Im hoping we can pull a shocker out and get that 9th for the first above 500 avg. If we hit 8-8 though id be pretty satisfied coming from 2-14
I'm not as optimistic as you are, but I do agree this team looks a whole lot better now than several weeks ago.

These next 6 weeks will tell us much more about these Texans. Five of these games are on the road.

If they go 6-10 I'll be satisfied at the end of the season. When you get a new coaching staff, and can as many players from the old regime as Kubiak did, you are basically starting over. Next year will be much more fun.