Texans not too bad

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BuffSoldier, Oct 24, 2006.

1. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I actually think that this is one of the NFL's most competitive years in a while. As bad as the Texans seem to have been going 2-4 there are 12 teams with the same or worse record, including the defending champ Pittsburgh Steelers. There are also 3 teams with only a one game lead over the Texans. So thats a total of 15 teams that the Texans either have a better record than, are tied with, or are one game behind.

Another thing, those 3-3 teams have some pretty tough games coming up, so if we can handle buisness and beat the Titans we would be right in the middle of the pack and tied for 2nd in the AFC South with the Jags.

3-3 teams

Jacksonville plays in Philli
    No doubt that with all the injuries that Jacksonville has on the defensive side of the ball, the Eagles and McNabb are the favorite to win this one at home and give us a chance to tie the Jags for 2nd in the AFC South.

Dallas plays at Carolina
    QB controversy in Dallas and if they start Romo against a good Carolina defense on the road, he will definitly make mistakes. Not to mention that no one can hold Steve Smith.

Kansas City plays Seattle
    Hassleback and Alexander are hurt, otherwise I give the Seahawks an easy win, but it will still probably be a close game.

Texans still have a shot at playoffs, a long shot, but a shot none the less.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I can only see us going 9-7 at best so hopefully that could get us in.

It is more likely that we finish either 7-9 or 8-8 which would prob keep us out.

3. sprtsfanatic

sprtsfanatic All Pro

all very good points and noted...but we have to come together as a team and play with consistancy. Not sure we as a team are ready to compete in the playoffs...especially not now after week 7. We'll have to see come atleast week 11-12....then we'll see how the team and the road ahead of us looks.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Mathematically we have a shot at the playoffs, but I don't think we're anywhere near a playoff calibar team yet. Next year, perhaps, but there's too many holes on our team this season. It's nice getting optimistic after a win, but remember, Indy, Dallas, and Washington all handed it too us and we barely beat a terrible Miami team.

5. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

And all of those teams have the same coach that they had last year. I'm not saying the Texans are a play-off team, what I'm saying is that to have played as bad as we have, we are still basically in the middle of the pack, and if the offensive line continues to gel and we can get a consistent running game, then we will be a much better team than alot of people expected.

6. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

5 of 6 on the road. Hmmm. We're one more injury in the o-line from having a top ten pick next draft. Just don't see it.

Texans Horror likes this.
  7. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

lol, the worst record in the league is 1-6, everyone still has a mathematical shot at the play offs. I think 7-9 is realistic (Tenn x2, Buffalo, Oakland, Browns) and something like 8-8 or 9-7 is possible (Jags again, we did just beat them by 20) and the Browns. And keep an eye out for the Colts week 16. Battle Red jerseys, a full season under the Kubes system and the Colts should have home-field wraped up by then. Dare I even write 10-6? I think I do...

8. Snapple

Snapple Veteran

Only mathematically do we have a shot, as does every team in the league. I'm glad we beat the Jags, but there are still plenty better teams than us. Right now we're still on course for a very high draft pick.

9. David23

David23 Rookie

We had a huge improvement against the Jags, but I still think we will finish 6-10. We haven't played consistently good football to even think about making the playoffs, but we can always dream.

10. PoolMaster21

PoolMaster21 Rookie

Good point - We're getting some guys back but we're still pretty thin on OL and DB. This team may be capable of 8-8 or better, but I'm sticking with 6-10 with lots of reasons to be optimistic for '07.

11. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

6-7 wins seems doable.

12. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

QFT. Good point!

13. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Remember how bad we looked against Washington and Dallas then look at how this week went for them. We still have a ways to go.

14. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

Maybe I should have left out that last line about the play-offs, my real point is that, really noone other than the Colts and Bears have been playing consistently well this year, and even the Colts were losing in the second half to the Titans and the Bears were loosing late to the Cards.

The Giants dont even step on the field until the second half and Cinci's offense isnt as good as it was supposed to be. Big Ben is having the worst season of his life, there is a QB controversy in Dallas. If McNabb isnt perfect then Philli doesnt win, Seattle's 2 best players are out, Trent Green has been out, and LJ hasnt produced as much as expected.

I wasnt imolying that the Texans are going to make a play-off push, but I was saying that the entire NFL has been inconsistent this year, not just the Texans.

15. Herr Doktor

Herr Doktor Rookie

MY team, the Falcons, has the one thing you don't. A consistent running game. Once you get that, your team will hurt alot of teams in this league. The pressure will be off of Carr, you can take time off the clock, resting the D. Samkon is serviceable, but Dayne is nothing to shot about. I think your front office is pretty bright. They will hit the FA running back market HARD in the off season. There are many teams with a plethora of decent backs. Y'all need a slasher like Warrick Dunn (Hopefully DOminic Davis gets healthy) Once you get the running game, you will so how dramatically you will progress. You have the potential to be a very exciting team. And one people will fear nearing play off time. :redtowel:

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The Cowboys shut him out last year.

Actually TNewman shut him out last year, he got so frustrated, he took a shot at a ref, and got tossed out of the game, and off the field.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This is where I'm at..... yes, we are a bad team..... now. Actually, we are a half decent team right now. The way we performed in our last three games puts us in the middle of the pack. Miami is still a strong defensive team, but we managed to score pretty well(17 points is good, especially against the Dolphins), the first half of the Dallas game, & the Jacksonville game. What happened to us in Dallas happened to the Giants, the Cowboys, & the Jacksonville, so I think we are middle of the pack.

We've got problems, and holes, but so does everyteam in the NFL..... the Eagles, we've seen that....... the Cowboys..... Oline, QB, SAfety(sounds familiar)......... Indy....... run Defense, running game, blitz pickup.... Houston.. run game, OL, Safety(??) LB....

I can see us beating NewEngland & Indy later this year.

No, not like we are playing now, but I'm expecting us to get a lot better by then, but those teams will only get a little better.

By no means do I mean to suggest that we'll be as good as the Pats, or the Colts, but we'll be good enough, that the "AnyGivenSunday" rule will apply.

10-6.......... I don't know about that.....

I'm thinking more like 11-5.:redtowel:

18. NATHANHALE

NATHANHALE Veteran

...win 9 of our 10 next games?? What flavor is the kool-aid this week, TK?

19. Wordem

Wordem Veteran

They're also not too good.

20. Roughnecks

Roughnecks Veteran

If we can continue to play 4 quarters and get a running game that can rack up at lease 110, 120 yards a game we will be in good shape and hopefully start getting people in the seats to pull for our guys. That being said I do not see us fighting for the first pick there are to many other bad teams out there we are not that bad the problem is they end up playing a half and just stop trying in the second half. We have been in most of the games we played just to forget to carry over after halftime. When we learn to finish teams off we will be alright but I can not wait to see what this team does to up grade next year it is going to be great the next couple of years and not being able to hear at the game because it will be sooooooooooooo loud so here is to seeing a playoff game here in Houston again in the future.