Texans not building a championship team

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DocBar, Apr 24, 2011.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

chicagotexan2 and YoungTexanFan like this.
  2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Thanks for the great read! It should be required reading for all MB members.

Would rep but must spread.

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

while I agree with the article it basically it sounds like we should trade everyone worth value and start over

4. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Great article from Chris. Sadly, I agree with just about everything in that article.

5. CloakNNNdagger

This aspect is going to be a major so far minimized factor as to where our D goes.

6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I didn't take that away from the article at all. Adding a few firebreathers and slobberknockerers to the mix can fire up the entire D, if not the team.

7. Blake

Blake MMQB

That article could be written about alot of teams in the NFL.

"Baby steps don't cut it in the NFL. - maybe they COULD make the playoffs next year with a more physical defense and more consistent offense. But then what? Another season goes by. Maybe another wild card. Then another."

Even the Chargers could fall under this umbrella.

8. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

On the flip side look at teams like the Redskins, it seems every year they spend huge $$$, add players despite character issues and it's gotten them no where.

Our philosophy isn't wrong we've just made poor personnel/ assistant coach choices. Hopefully Wade will help and this draft will turn out well and we'll be heading in the right direction. As far as FA goes I would say most of the top teams in the league are conservative: Steelers, Colts, Pats, Ravens. Of the top teams only the Jets have been aggressive.

9. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

We definitely need a stud OLB to make this D run as it should, personally I'd draft 2 as insurance for Barwin. I do take exception to the article's assertion that we have no one close to D Ware. I think he's not giving Mario proper respect. I know Mario is playing as a DE, but I'd wager he'll still register double digit sacks provided he's healthy.

10. CloakNNNdagger

Having a DOMINANT (not just adequate) NT would give Mario a heck of a boost in his potential.

11. CloakNNNdagger

The Redskins may not be the best example in that they have had an owner who made so many dumb choices on all levels while spending like a
    [​IMG]

I certainly agree that better personel/assistant coach choices are important from here on out with the Texans, and hopefully Wade, given loose reigns, will come up with distinctly better ones.

As for the other teams mentioned, for quite a while, they have been in a "maintainance" mode, rather than a perpetual building mode like the Texans. They don't need to be making spectacular moves. And they have a little more time to develop lesser personel up to the front lines.

12. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

It was a good article, but I can't completely buy the lack-of-physicality criticism for the defense. Should we consider Mario, Antonio Smith, Cushing, DeMeco, and (up until now) Pollard lacking in physical imposition? The problem was coaching, as exemplified by how none of our defensive players except Mario have improved from their rookie season.

Tx Longhorn likes this.
  13. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I agree about maintenance mode to an extent, I would just point out that most, if not all of their studs were acquired through the draft, which is our plan. Now, if we could kidnap one of their GMs... Lol

I do think, now more than ever we need to be aggressive in FA. In the past I thought we'd have to waaay overpay to get a top level guy. Now, with Wade coming in and a track record of top level offensive play I think we are a more attractive destination, at least that's my hope

14. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

Agreed, I'd love to add Dareus in the first rd. He could be a beast of an NT. Too expensive to trade though...

15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I don't really agree that the team hasn't ever been ever been tough enough but agree to extent.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Not resigning Vonta Leach because they are cheap = Not building a championship roster. They need a half dozen more guy's like him ..... not less. :foottap:

17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

They are just built to make the playoffs and that's all but so far they have not even done that.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Teams that are good are agressive.

Steelers-trade up for TP, Trade back getting more picks and Hampton.
    Packers-Trade up for Matthews, Sign Woodson in FA
    Saints-Sign Brees,Shraper,Shanle,Hargrove etc... in FA
    Jets - Too many moves to talk about
    Ravens-Trade up for Flacco,trade for Boldin,Wilson,Sign Stallworth in FA, Trade down for Cody/Kindle
    Falcons-Sign Dunta/Turner/Peterson in FA, Trade for Gonzalez
    Bears Sign Peppers in FA, Trade for Cutler

Not all of these moves worked out for these teams. But they were being agressive.

The Texans on the otherhand sit on their hands while Rome burns

19. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Most of these moves have worked out quite nicely.

20. Rey

Rey Guest

I get a lot of what the article is saying....The Texans aren't aggressive enough, they aren't physical enough and they aren't tough enough mentally or physically...I agree with all of that...

But I think that the first step for this team is to get into the play-offs...They need to get that monkey off of their back...

I look at a team like Arizona, and they weren't really classified as physical...But they went all the way to the superbowl and they played a pretty good game against the Steelers...The Colts aren't really all that physical.....But they have a killer instinct...

I think that stuff comes with confidence. The Texans don't have that type of confidence.