Texans: No cap space & 20 M in dead money

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

This from the Chronicle:

The Texans "have $18 million to $20 million in dead money — players no longer on the roster who still count against the cap."

Am I crazy or is this just a poorly managed franchise top to bottom? How can you be a perennial loser AND have 20M in dead money and no cap space?

Plus we've got that 60 million all star David Carr!

Sheeesh.

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

They have about $20 mil in dead money, but they also brought $7.7 mil forward from last year for incentives which weren't met leaving them with about $18 mil in cap space right now. Figure $4 mil for rookies, $5 or so to resign some of their FA's and they have about $9 mil to play with in cap room. Not loads of room but that is enough room for two serious acquisitions or one plus 2-3 lesser guys.

3. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i guess we'll see tomorrow

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Ask Charley Casserly. How many stupid contracts did he give up? Gotta blame Kubiak a little bit too though. Eric Moulds had a 4 year deal.

5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Since when does Kubiak work contracts?

6. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Actually at 11:01 PM, CST today.

7. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

i thought moulds had a 2 year deal, but with a small bonus?

i dont think moulds had to much to do with it, robaire, wade, payne, walker... i think they ****ED us over, good job CC

8. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

ok my bad , my bad, haha

9. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

4 years 14 million with a 5 million bonus -- and a fifth round pick.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

just think of it this way. once we pay off all that dead money we'll be in good shape. That should be about the time after a few of Kubiak and Smith drafts that our team is more solid and REALLY taking form. once those come together about the same time we'll be a pretty solid team.

Then once we have a pretty solid team, no dead money, and decent cap space we can finally sign some FA's and we'll be in the playoffs and contending for the AFC Championship. I know you don't want to hear it but give us 4 years and we're going to be winning the south division repeatedly.

11. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

What changes in less than 12 months that causes a team to give away a player after a 5 million signing bonus, 4 year contract and a fifth round pick? What is the thought process?

12. Ole Miss Texan

That's what i'm wondering...probably something we'll never know. but moulds had to have been un happy and asked to leave. i dont think they'd do it other wise.

13. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The last ten games of the season.....2 TD passes with one of them in garbage time...that should do it.

14. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

Charley Casserly was the worst GM imaginable. I'd take the average fantasy football GM over that *****. Kubiak is compounding the problem by trying to cut every player with Casserly ties when we have no better options.

It's like quitting your current job before you have any idea where your new job is going to be. You end up being an unemployed bum.

15. Heath Shuler

Heath Shuler worst 2 1st

So you think it is strictly performance based (which Kubiak said:football decision)? Even if it was, how many times was Moulds thrown to. It is not like I remember him dropping loads of TD passes in the endzone.

16. David's Busted Carr

David's Busted Carr Veteran

THANKS CHARLEY!!! We miss you! Please come back!

17. afcman

afcman Veteran

Can you believe this doofus was on CBS this last season as some kind of 'expert'? His expert choices will still be hurting us for some time to come. Possibly for YEARS.

18. Ole Miss Texan

let's just refer to him for now on as "You know who" or "the one who shall remain nameless"....what was it in harry potter?

19. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

no, I was doing too many things at once and thought you asked how the team could look at Carr in a different light in less than a year after pushing his contract to 60 million dollars.

I honestly don't know what to think about the Moulds situation. He had a radio show and he spoke out about how he was wide open and Carr never saw him...so I'm deeply cynical that this is more than a football decision (I'm willing to accept that it was though...I don't grade film). It's been 5 years of PC and little drummer boy smiles around here....I am thinking and hoping that this mentality/culture is changing. I'm hopeful we sign a nice FA WR and won't stress the Moulds decision too much...but cutting the guy one year after signing him for 4 reeks of something funky one way or another...be it poor personnel evaluation, or having a clubhouse that is way too PC. Moulds had the best season that any WR had that isn't named Andre Johnson with 57 catches last year (thanks herv). Carr had his usual disappointing season and it isn't like Carr was lighting up the scoreboard with everyone except Moulds...historically, the WR2 here doesn't get many looks. That didn't change this season, I don't care how you spin it.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Makes no sense IMO. As a cap matter, they are paying to not have him around which just isn't justifiable to me without having a bird in the hand that is definitely better. Heck if you want a burner #2 then make Moulds the #3 and keep him one more year before cutting him.