Texans' Needs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by playa465, Jan 8, 2010.

1. playa465

playa465 Site Contributor

Ok, I want to know what us fans think about acquisitions. We all have opinions on what the Texans needs are but this thread is about how we think we should go about filling them. From most threads it seems that we need:

Interior OL
    Secondary
    RB
    DL

My question is which to do we pursue in free agency vs the draft (this year). My choices are

Interior Line--Draft
    Secondary--Free Agency
    DL-- Free Agency
    RB--Draft

My only thing is do not contest another poster's thoughts, this is just to get a feel how us arm chair talent evaluators think. Also consider that we resign our key players that are due for new contracts. I'm goin to post this on multiple sites.

2. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I think a FS or CB most likly comes via draft. RB will be 2nd or 3rd round pick, WR/KR as well. I think we will go after at least one big FA, as we are at the point where one guy makes a difference.

3. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

1. OG - I'd address in FA and Draft (in 1st 3 rds) and look for a starter via both, particularly OG.
    2. DT - Free Agency, find a proven veteran DT that can take on multiple blockers. Comes in and is a starter day 1.
    3. CB - Draft, I'd look for a starting guy that can take over the #1 spot in the 1st or 2nd rd. Dunta may/may not be back and we'll need a starter.
    4. FS - Draft, I look for one in the mid rounds. Probably go into the season with who we have starting unless the rookie performs really well.
    5. RB - Draft and FA, I'm hopeful with the combo of Slaton/Foster. I bring in a FA to compete and draft one during the mid rds.

*Playmaker - Draft/FA, I also look for a guy that is explosive and can score at any given time. A WR/RB type that can create mismatches. Think Reggie Bush type.

4. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

That guy should also return kicks. Ive seen Aircraft carriers withmore agility than Andre Davis.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  5. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I think a lot of needs are dependant on if we're able to re-sign a few of our own players.

DB) It sounds like the staff is really high on Quin as a CB. I'd like to see him as a FS, but that's beside the point. So it depends on what happens with Dunta. Under Kubiak, we've never drafted a FS/SS on the first day so I don't think that'll change.

RB) From what I've gathered from Kubiak's PC's and interviews the past week, it sounds as if he's still uncertain with the RB position even with Foster's emergence. Wise choice! I still don't expect a RB until the 3rd at the earliest. No RB's in FA

DT) Considering it's going to be slim pickings in FA I expect DT to be one of our priorities in the draft. Are we going to count on Zgonina again? Hope not. Okam has been a failure as our big nasty and we need one in a bad way.

C/G) Another high priority, IMO. But, like the CB position, it's dependant on who stays and who goes. Pitts? Brisiel? Will Caldwell step up?

In the end, everyone knows I'm an "in the trenches" kind of guy, so if we re-sign our own I'd like to see DT's and Olinemen chosen or brought in via FA.

6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

We need:

1. Interior o-line. Depending on what we do with Pitts, how the staff feels about Caldwell's development and his strongest position, and how they feel about Myers, would dictate which position on the interior. I personally feel that the staff is comfortable with Myers and Briesel at C and RG and will look to draft/sign someone to compete with Caldwell at LG.

2. Secondary. There's the fan favorite of moving Quin to FS. Problem is, depending on what happens with Dunta, that'd leave the cupboard bare at CB. There's myriad of question at the CB spot. Will Molden and/or Bennett be on the team next year? Will we sign, tag, trade, or let Dunta go? I think these questions negate the idea of moving Quin. Assuming that's true, we have Quin, Reeves, and McCain at CB for sure. We'll likely make more than one addition here next year. I'm putting my money on Dunta being back again next year, FTR. I also think we'll draft a S in the high rounds and sign a FA CB

3. DT. We all feel that a significant addition needs to be made at DT. I don't know if the FO feels that way, but I think there will be some changes made. I doubt they'll be of the Hampton/Wilfork caliber, but I think they'll be more significant than Shaun Cody.

4. RB. This is our most pressing need, IMO. I'm sure Moats and Brown are gone. That leaves us with Slaton and Foster. Foster looked good in weeks 16 and 17, and you can almost bank on an improvement from Slaton. That still doesn't negate the need, IMO. I think we add one through both FA and the draft. LT and Portis could both be looking for jobs, I'd love to have either. I'd also like to draft a back in the first two rounds, but we'll see how that goes.

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Sign all our FAs so we don't have to replace them.

The problem with signing other folks FAs is they are, almost without exception, always overpaid for what their talent level is. That being said, I'd try and pick up some help on both sides of the line in free agency. Unless there is another Pollard out there somewhere, address the defensive secondary in the draft along with high pick used on a RB.

8. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I would like to see us pay too much money to a veteran player who has been a part of a winning team. I havn't really sifted through the names to pick someone out, but we need a guy like the Broncos picked up with Dawkins. I like the leadership that Pollard, Cushing and Ryans seem to bring, but a guy who can teach our kids how to win would make a world of difference.

Kubiak is still a relatively inexperienced coach. He could set himself up for a long stint with the Texans if he brings the right leaders in.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Eugene Wilson has two SB rings. Antonio Smith just played in the SB.

10. spurstexanstros

spurstexanstros Texans Rising

" For the love of God no more DE's"-STS( I quote this every year)

Seriously, this year I will throw computer at TV I mean it.

11. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Running back is definitely a need. The Arian Foster situation came up previously with Chris Taylor as well. Foster should have every chance to win the starting job during training camp, but the last 2 games shouldn't automatically make him the starter.

12. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree. I blame Kubiak for this last few games of the season junk. Why wasn't Foster given the opportunity sooner? Was he that bad at "becoming a pro" to keep him from competing in a horrible backfield? Steve 'Slumpin' Slaton, Chris 'I suck with the ball, but I'm good at blitz pick-up' Brown and Ryan 'Give me a chance, Coach' Moats were all horrible this season.

Yes, the Oline is to blame as well, but why not give him a shot? Especially during the 4 game losing streak.

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

C
    FS
    #1 CB
    DT

Really not too different from recent needs.

One fumble, you're out. I get the rule, but Arian Foster would have run all over the Rams, they game planned for Chris Brown and Moats.

14. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

1. OG/C: Very few offensive linemen can move directly from college to pros so I'd prefer we got a veteran FA here. Don't know if there are any good G/C in FA but that's my preference.

2. FS: Either; as long as he's a hitter, I don't care.

3. CB: Depends if Dunta stays. If he stays, draft; otherwise, FA.

4. RB: Draft. You can get good value in the lower rounds of the draft at RB.

5. DT: Free Agency ~ I'm so tired of developing players at this position.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Think back to the last preseason game. Kubiak outright told Moats and Foster they were playing for the last RB spot. Moats outplayed him. So Foster had his earlier opportunity and screwed the pooch.

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

1. OT) bump current OT inside, tighten OL up

2. DB) same thing, tighten secondary

3. RB) add speed & power

4. DT) interior run stopper

5. K) Chris Brown great guy, performance unacceptable

6. QB) who is Schaubs replacement in case of injury/future

7. LB) cover/nickle OLB

17. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Because he was trying to keep the league leading QB healthy and Moats and Foster both stink at pass protection, though Foster improved late. It's a pretty tough situation that he was in when you consider that 2 of the 4 TEs were also rookies and OD went down... Leach is the only FB, and Slaton went to the IR. When you add all that up along with the loss of both starting guards, they were in a difficult position regarding pass protection. That's why Brown played so much after the OD injury, IMO.

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

1.) Which OT?
    2.) Why bump Quinn?
    3.) Okay
    4.) Okay
    5.) Okay
    6.) Doubtful, they have 2 guys who are experienced and under contract
    7.) Ryans and Cush would be the LB's in nickel and wouldn't Ryans be the LB in Dime?

19. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Is this the order of the player's position you want to draft, or is this just a priority list? If it's how you want to draft I don't think Kubes/Smith would take a Kicker in the 5th round.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

to expound:
    Brown could be hell of a LG & there is no discrace in that just look at Logan Mankins & Winston could focus more on road grading instead of trying to swivel against speed on the edge.