Texans need to get best available receiver next season....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by rush2112mn, Dec 19, 2011.

1. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

Texans need to get best available receiver next season .....either through the NFL draft or free agency.
    I reallly think it is time to look ahead. Andre Johnson is not getting any younger. He is going to be pushing 30 sometime soon. His health is starting to become a issue.
    We need to bring someone else in to learn under him while Andre is still on this team to become his apprentice......Andre is the Master......(Star Wars reference)

Jacoby is a good punt returner....but he will never be that playmaker at the wide receiver..plain and simple.....

I say we move up in the draft and do it like Atlanta did it last year with Julio Jones......it should be our number one priority next year.......

TimeKiller likes this.
  2. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yep. Andre turned 30 this year. I think he's got a few great years left in his tank, but I would have no problem in drafting his successor. Jacoby is not it.

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    It would suck if it took the whole draft to do it but getting a guy like Blackmon on the team would be enormous.

4. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

I thought about a "Julio Jones" type of trade on draft night, but that MIGHT be too many picks.

We'll see. However, I expect 'em to make a play for one. WR is so deep, we might be able to draft one in the 2nd round, after getting another position if need be in round 1.

Think of these WRs:

Justin Blackmon
    Kendall Wright
    Ryan Broyles (ou still sucks)
    Michael Floyd
    Alshon Jeffery
    Reuben Randle
    Nick Toon
    Jeff Fuller
    Dwight Jones
    Mohamed Sanu

All could be in the draft

5. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

As good as last years draft was I hope we don't trade away most of our draft for any player at any position. Our building through the draft and not over spending for any one player is just starting to pay off, why change now?

We do need a reciever though, hope we draft one sooner rather than later.

dc_txtech likes this.
  6. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Agreed completely.

This draft is going to be a really good WR draft. Not only would I not be opposed to, but I would advocate for hedging our bet and drafting a couple of WR in the early rounds of the draft.

Also, remember that we will be getting Lestar Jean back next year, which should help.

7. NBT

NBT Veteran

Last year was one of the best ever for WRs. But I wouldn't panic if we didn't get one in the first round. The cowpatties and the colts, just to name two, have found excellent WRs as late as the fourth round. We just need to alert the scouts that that's a primary position to focus on this draft. Good FA WRs might be too high to get. If we can only be as lucky with offense this year, as we were with defense last year, we will get a good one.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Our first round will bring us a very good player without having to trade up. We can also land WRs later if we choose to draft two.

Kendall Wright (my guy) 101 receptions 1,572 15.6 avg (Baylor plays Washington Dec 29th Thurs on ESPN 8 Central. Gives a chance to see NT Alameda Ta'Amu also.

Dwight Jones 79 for 1119 14.2 avg

Mohammed Sanu 109 1144 10.5
    Marvin McNutt 78 1269 16.3
    Jordan White 127 1646 13.0

9. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

I'd draft a mid round guy but hopefully there is a FA that can make an impact. Can't really trust rookie WRs.

10. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I really hope the Texans spend a first round pick on a WR. Then take another in the mid-rounds. Maybe Jacoby can get traded.

11. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

I hope we get one WR in free agency and in the draft. We have to address it and WRs are somewhat iffy when drafted, so it would be best to get a mix. Would love to get a midlevel guy like Harry Douglas for the slot or Robert Meachem as a #2. I would like to aim higher, but I don't think we'll have the cap space to go after Stevie Johnson, Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe.

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The Texans don't need to blindly lock onto a position in this draft. WR should be upgraded this off-season, but if a better player available in the first round the Texans are not that kind of needy at WR.

13. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Would love Kendall Wright, will take Broyles. I would even be for taking them both.

14. zwest1231

zwest1231 Rookie

I think the Texans could use their first round pick on any number of positions I would not mind seeing them address WR in the first but I wouldn't trade multiple picks to move up and get anyone not named Justin Blackmon. I'd love to see us strengthen the offensive line or nose tackle position and would not have a problem choosing the highest rated guy from one of those positions either.

15. ThaJokaa

ThaJokaa True Texans Fan

Thats who I want us to draft!

16. hradhak

hradhak Site Contributor

I'd say the 2nd round is a good time to get a wide out. I'd take a rush end / OLB in the first again if someone is available. Mario's return to this team due to salary cap concerns probably limits our ability to resign him. I'd rather have Foster and get another OLB rush end. I like Mario, but I don't think we can afford his contract.

17. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Colston and Meachem are free agents sign one of them.

18. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

Would absolutely love Broyles in the 3rd/ late 2nd round. Perfect compliment across from AJ. Wes Welker type of receive who always is open.

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Wait!! What??? Jacoby Jones isn't "all that?"

I seem to remember some folks stoked about the Texans re-signing him to be a number "2" with Walter in the slot..

Personally, I have gotten a little bit more comfortable with him returning punts, but I would be lying if I said that I don't hold my breath a little.

dc_txtech likes this.
  20. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

will the texans be able to afford a high$ FA wr? they will pick in the mid twenties of first round so maybe third-fourth best wr available. then comes the scouting of who is the third-fourth best wr available.