Texans nearing decision on Spencer

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Lucky, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

With OTAs wrapping up and the Texans facing a cutdown to 80 players before training camp, Kubiak still doesn't know if offensive tackle Charles Spencer will be able to participate for the 2008 season.

Even with medical clearance on the knee, Spencer has an uphill battle to make this team. His best chance would be a position change to Guard. But if Spencer can't go during OTAs, the Texans can't assume he'll be ready to go by training camp and cut a player who can contribute. Spencer's short career with the Texans could be coming to an end.

2. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

damn you Ron Dayne

3. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Looks like he's done here. If he doesn't make the 80, we'll never see him again. If he can make this cut, then I think he may go to the practice squad. I don't see PUP happening because he can't participate in training camp if he's PUP'd... And, he can't miss another training camp and then have any value to the club in midseason.

4. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Hmmmm....
    If he makes it thru waivers to our practice squad, then he could rejoin the team should the injury bug hit us again like it did last year. That'll give him more time to recover.

Not a bad plan but will it work?

5. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Fa sho.

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I think that even if he makes the PS, it's not a surefire thing that he gets to play once he's fully recovered. If we stick with zone blocking, who's to say he's going to be quick footed enough to play in that scheme?

I think a team that uses a power blocking scheme would probably love a player like a fully recovered Charles Spencer. He engulfs people, and then he buries them. I think he'd be perfect in a scheme where he's asked to take down one defender, 2 at most.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Well, I'm hoping he makes it back.
    Not only does he want to play again, but he wants to play HERE.
    That's worth a lot to me.

8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The practice squad isn't set until just prior to the start of the season. In the mean time, Spencer will be not practicing with the team. With zero reps over the past 2 years, I have to question how much value Spencer would have on the practice squad and if he would even be ready to contribute during the season. I think that spot would be better served by a healthy player who has had the reps and would be ready to step in as a reserve. Like a Frye, Eslinger, or Fenton.

Double Barrel likes this.

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

As high as Spencer's ceiling is, I would think he'd be worth a spot on the practice squad if the team believes he's on track to recover. DEFINITELY! That being said, it sure looks like the team no longer believes in the likelihood of Spencer being healthy again. It's very disappointing... But, it's amazing what the front office has accomplished in less than two years, because the loss of Spencer no longer effects my perception of this team's ability to compete. The talent pool here is worlds better than it was when Ron Dayne stepped on my heart and Spencer's leg.

10. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

dale, you're going with me to a cubs astros game the night before our home opener. we're gonna spoon at the hotel after. imagine waking up at 8 am to tailgate!!!!!!

by the way... how many players are we allowed to have on the practice squad?

Specnatz likes this.
  11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

He's not forbidden to take reps with the team unless he's officially put on IR or the PUP list is he?

I think that's the $64 question for Smith/Gibbs: Which of these guys has more upside?

12. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

You can only be put on the PUP list if you haven't participated at all during training camp.

The IR is different. I guess that is a possibility, though he wouldn't be able to practice with the team while he's on the IR, I don't think.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Everything sounds good about that scenario except the baseball game... That being said, you're on!

14. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

T.M.I.!!!
    :yikes:

15. ubecool454

ubecool454 Hall of Fame

This is the Ugly side of the NFL. Can we jail Ron Dayne for hit and run?

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

If Spencer is on the roster, and not on IR or PUP, he's eligible to practice. What I was referring to was the scenario where Spencer is released prior to training camp and whether it would be a good idea to put him on the practice squad (which isn't formed until after the 53 man cutdown) without going through a training camp or preseason.

barrett, the practice squads are allowed a maximum of 8 players.

17. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

:spit: Oh shit that is F'n hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Obsiwan you would have to know Barrett and Dale. Hey Barrett, you fat ass, just do not break any chaairs at the hotel.

18. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Can they invite to camp .. ala baseball .. as a nonroster invitee?

19. GP

GP Go Texans!

And, any team can sign any player from any team's practice squad. Correct? So that means Spencer is fair game to any NFL team even if he's on our practice squad. IIRC, it works like that.

I don't even have the words to express how I feel on this whole situation.

20. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

Every time I have an urge to say something nice about Ron Dayne, I remember Charles Spencer, and the urge goes away.