Texans Missing Shanny?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gary, Oct 12, 2010.

1. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Matt is not playing as well as he played last season that is clear. Might it have something to do with having a new OC? I am not sure but there is a problem right now with the O not being quite the same. Matt forced some passes last week and did not seem to be seeing the whole field. Maybe Kyle did have a lot to do with the progress of Matt Shaub and was a large part the thrills Matt provided in 2009. I still believe in Matt but he just has not regained his 09 form and I am wondering why. The pass blocking is not that great either which is not helping Matt of course.

2. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Could be, I'm sure someone should ask Kubiak this, but you know how that goes.

3. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Before the Washington game, I didn't give lil Shanahan much credit at all for our offense. I always thought he was Kubiak's puppet. After the plays Washington put on us, I was wondering if Kubiak was holding the little guy back.

I think this year, the issue may be that Kubiak has even less influence on offense than before, because he has a Coordinator he trusts. I don't know if Kubiak should take the reigns on offense just yet, he's the HC now, and he's got issues on the other side of the ball that needs his attention.

I still have faith in GK, but he's got his work cut out for him this season.

4. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I will be frank with everyone I do not have faith in Kubiak.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think we all know what the Texans are missing.

[​IMG]

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I have to agree with this.

7. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

[​IMG]

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

We do not miss Shanahan, I am 100% certain.

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Yhea, but you are not going to tell me everything is the same.

10. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

No, the Texans are not missing Shanny.

These are the same Texans we saw over the last two seasons. A team that is inconsistent that will play for one good half and one bad half. A team that lacks toughness and grit against physical teams with a good pass rush. These same problems were here when Shanny was here.

ATXtexanfan and NitroGSXR like this.
  11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Well, in both losses both the D and the O has played poorly.

12. scourge

scourge Digression King

You have no... mawwbews!

13. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

yep. Kubiball at it's finest.

Teams take the personae of their head coach. This has been true in football for a long time with few exceptions. Kubiak has an "awe shucks" demeanor and the team reflects that attitude.

I like the man, but I just want to see more fire in this team on a consistent basis, and that, in my humble opinion, starts at the top.

14. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Schaub does look bad, but I think a lot of that is big NFC East DLs getting too close way too often. How do you stop it? You motivate your freaking offense before the game and run the frickin' ball! Maybe we can't pass block worth a darn against NFC East teams, but we should be able to run it, with some EFFORT!

15. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Funny a couple weeks ago, people thought Dennison was the savior of the offense and fixed the running game.....hmm :)

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

The running game is not the everything in football and that was not working so much on Sunday either.

17. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

yup

18. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, the running game is better, but it's gonna take some extra effort against certain teams. Our offense saw how hard it was to block those guys, realized it was a non-conference game, and laid down. It ticks me off.

'Course they gotta put up with a D that's setting a record for pass yardage...

19. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I saw some things the first couple of games that were eerily similar to the old Bronco teams. I think he has had a big impact on the running game, and am beginning to feel that Brown's suspension is having a significant impact on the running game as well.

Since our 2-0 start this has happened:
    - Brown suspended
    - AJ is injured
    - Jacoby is injured
    - Foster is disciplined

Significant hits to our offense - personnel and timing of our passing routes. Unfortunately, we are not like solid teams where one unit can take up the slack for the other. Shanwow would not be able to help us on that side of the ball.

He is going to be in this league for a long while, but at this place in time losing him is way down the list of our collective troubles.

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

One thing I haven't said yet is that our receivers, etc. dropping passes (although I ragged the Hell out of them for it) MAY be partly because Schaub MIGHT have been throwing them too soon in their routes when they weren't expecting it, because of the pressure. We needed to establish the run in this game, and we should be able to run at least decently against every team in the NFL, and we just didn't (lack of heart). It's not like we don't have a RB who can find the lanes. We sure can't use that excuse anymore.

And yeah, not having Brown is hurting the running game some as far as called plays to the left side. I think we can still get cut-backs to the left though.