Texans Midseason MVP?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Oct 31, 2011.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

The Texans have had several key players injured throughout the first half of the season. Andre Johnson and Arian Foster have missed time on offense. Matt Schaub is putting up top 10 QB numbers but has had some consistency issues due in large part to his two all pro skill players AJ and Foster missing playing time at different points the first eight games. The OL is the strongest part of the team but it is playing so well as a unit, there is no single dominant force that you can pinpoint as the reason for the OL's success.

Which leads me to my pick for Houston Texans midseason MVP:

BRIAN CUSHING

Cushing is back into rookie year form... but better. He is the best player on the defense and seems to be everywhere the ball is at whether they are running or passing. There hasn't really been a breakout game by a RB against the Texans this year, mainly due to Cushing stuffing them at the line. Maurice Jones Drew was shut down by this monster... much more impressive than CJ2YPC getting shut down as well!!!

Johnathan Joseph is second in line due to being a true lockdown CB (The Texans biggest need this year) but Cushing gets my pick for midseason MVP due to his overall impact on the defense throughout the year.

welsh texan and TimeKiller like this.
  2. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

Would have taken antonio but seems to have dissapeared last few games. To be honest I might just have to go with Cushing aswell. He's been a monster period. Nobody in the offense stands out personally. The offense has been balanced as can be with everyone getting the ball and not just one person stat padding

3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Antonio was playing like a pro bowler until Mario went down. It seems lile Cushing elevated his play to compensate for the loss of Mario.

4. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Wade Phillips!

5. TheDream34

TheDream34 Veteran

1. Brian Cushing 2. Johnathan Joseph no question about considering our defense has been saving our offense's ass all season long

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i agree with cushing. he's been all over the place, and he's the one calling the plays on defense. whether blitz, run support, zone, or playing man to man (even covering receivers at times) - cushing has been a monster. definitely gets my vote for mid season mvp.

7. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Can I vote for Wade?

You meant player so I cant vote for Wade, so I would go with Foster. The defense is rocking because of new personel and coaching. But the offense probably would have dropped a game or two more (Pittsburgh probably) if Arian and Andre were out. The guy is helping the offense and defense a ton. After seeing Tate fumble twice in three games, Schaub be shaky, and Andre out, he makes me see how valuable ($$$) he is to this team.

8. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

cush!!!

9. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

Other than the obvious choice in Cushing - so glad he's back to form - I'll go with Owen Daniels. He's been absolutely huge for us since Andre went down, and has been solid all season. He plays a role in the run and in the pass, and thank goodness he's got good enough hands to catch all the underthrows Schaub sends his way.

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'd probably go with J.Jo

Maybe just for the novelty of having a CB worth cheering for, in contrast to the dross we've fielded since Aaron Glenn.

11. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Jonathan Joseph no doubt and Matt Schaub a close second... MATT SCHAUB!!! Wait what!!!!!!!!! ......................

Because if Matt had gone down earlier in the season , I doubt we win any game with Lienart as the QB. I am just talking about MVP not the best performer.

12. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Cushing then A Smith then OD.

13. ADTpaul

ADTpaul ADT Security

addition of Wade Phillips has really helped but he can't win this award. Brian Cushing please!

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

First two games - Tate.

Rest of the season - Cushing.

15. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Its a toss up between Kareem Jackson and Jacoby Jones. :throwball:

16. speedfreek

speedfreek Hall of Fame

WADE is my MVP

TJ

17. Rey

Rey Guest

Cushing with Joseph right on his heels.

Actually, I'd probably make them Co MVP's....

18. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

Jonathan Joseph 1st
    Brian Cushing 2nd

19. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Its hard to choose just one person so I won't...... but Wade is the true MVP.

Player wise I'd have to say J-Jo on defense and Schaub on offense. Only reason I chose those 2 is because J-Jo has basically shut down his side of the field so its made the secondary much, much better. Cushing is a close second.

And Schaub mainly just because he's been the leader of the offense dealing with a ton of injuries. Sure he's made some mistakes, but he's still managed relatively well.

20. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Boy there are really a lot of players that are stepping up this season. Particularly on defense... and I would attribute a lot of that to Wade Phillips who is making things easier on them and putting them in the best position to make plays.

I would give the Most Valuable Player award to Johnathan Joseph. His play in the secondary has been enormous and a huge catalyst for our other players being able to make plays. Without him back there I think we'd continue to get torched... even with our better safety play.

Cushing has been a beast though and should win like a "heisman" type of award for being the best player. He's elevated his game to that of his rookie season. I think Cushing is performing as the best overall player on our defense and probably our team. However I still would put Joseph as our MVP.

This defense is downright nasty! Mario, Antonio, Watt, Barwin... they all deserve special mention too.