Texans meet with FA DT Rocky Bernard (seattle )

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DoCt3rJ, Mar 8, 2005.

1. DoCt3rJ

DoCt3rJ Veteran

Rocky Bernard
    Position: DT
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 293
    Born: 04/19/1979
    College: Texas A&M
    NFL Experience: 3

Year/Team/Games/Tackles/Asst/Sacks/PassDef
    2002 Seattle Seahawks 16 48 33.0 15 4 1
    2003 Seattle Seahawks 12 16 11.0 5 2 1
    2004 Seattle Seahawks 14 39 26.0 13 3.5 6

What you guys think of him ? Looks pretty descent, maybe to replace Gary Walker?

2. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

sounds good to me, but didnt Gary sign a pretty big contract, so only way he'd play is if G-Man went down with injury. Cant let all the money go to waste !

3. DoCt3rJ

DoCt3rJ Veteran

Or if G-Man sucks again and we cut him

4. DoCt3rJ

DoCt3rJ Veteran

Either way I think this guy would bring descent depth.

5. TexansTrueFan

cutting him wouldnt be bad EXCEPT the fact that a contract is guranteed money and we still have to pay it to him if we cut him, so it would be a huge blow to the texans salary cap if we were to do that ! And it was like a 3 or 4 year deal he signed !

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The Texans rotate the front 3 a lot and having quality depth for injuries and rotation is a big piece of holding 4th quarter leads.

And the only part of Walker's contract that is guaranteed is the signing bonus he already received. The problem is if he is cut all of the remaining un-prorated signing bonus would immediately hit the cap.

7. Caw Daddy

Caw Daddy Rookie

our whole dline corps is horrendous
    like seriously who are we kidding here. payne is never healthy, walker is old, smith is ok at best, sears ioane and deloach are just jokes.

8. AndreJ

AndreJ All Pro

Lets no over exaggerate not. Walker is the only one on the line who sucked this past year, I remember watching Walkers Wolrd or whatever his show was and G-Funk touched Carr and Carr jokingly responded that was the closest he had been to a QB the whole year. Sad thing is it was true. Not to blame it on the injury, but Seth was really starting to come along a little after mid-season and Robaire stepped in and did his thing as a first year DE in the 3-4. They weren't outstanding, but i don't they they deserve the term horrendous.

Please do correct me if i am wrong.

9. LBblitz

LBblitz Veteran

I think underacheiving fits our d-line better. Payne showed some promise up untill his injury and, when healthy, he is the bulwark of our defense...aiding sharper to plus 100 tackles. As for Smith, he was a little "green" to our defesive schemes and I think he will contribute more this year. I have more doubts in walker though...sigh...

10. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

exactly...i think smith with another year in the system will be very good...i think bernard would add some speed to this d-line that we need...walker needs to have a good season this year otherwise i see him being cut before the march deadline next year(the time teams can cut a player without taking the cap hit) and as for payne...i'm giving the dude the benefit of the doubt and saying once he is back to full health he'll be the old payne again

11. TexansTrueFan

i just doubt we will cut him after signing him to a new contract ! thats all !

12. Ranger

Ranger Veteran

Why would we cut Gary Walker if we bring this guy in? This may be what Gary needs is somebody to split time with. If we can get this guy 2 split minutes with Gary maybe Gary will be more productive.

13. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I think this guy would be a monster if he came in on passing downs or if we go to a quarter defense or a 3-3-5 during a game.

14. Panther5407

Panther5407 All Pro

Rocky would be great to pick up. He's young and could split time right now and then eventaully take over someones spot. He'd be a great pick up.