Texans Looking at Nealy

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by CoastalTexan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

Found this in "The University Star", Txstates school newspaper. I will post the link when it is on the internet.
    It is an article about Barrick Nealy and getting drafted this weekend.

"Franchises such as the Houston Texans, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders, and Cincinnati Bengals all have Nealy on their radar screens."

"So far, the most interest has come from the Bengals and Texans and at this point it is a crapshoot to see where Nealy will go in the draft."

"Between Dallas and Houston, it is a coin toss. I like Houston," Nealy said. "I got the feeling they were looking for a guy like me and I think that I would have a lot to learn from a guy like David Carr."

We could snag him with the 6th or possibly 7th round pick.

His performance against a&m.
    http://www.bobcatfans.com/video/txst_am_sm.wmv

http://www.bobcatfans.com/video/barrick.wmv

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Man, I am beggining to think that Casserly has certain positions that he already knows he is going to draft. I knew in my heart that we were still going to get a QB in the later rounds. I live in Austin and saw Nealy play this past year. He's good and probably worthy of a late round pick. I kinda wanted him coming out as soon as we cut Banks but didn't think it would happen after we got Rosenfels. So really I think Casserly gets these guys to develope them and then trade them.

3. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

What happened to BJ Symmons? Did he die?:confused:

4. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Let's see...

CC's annual draft checklist -

Sign an over priced free agent - Check

Resign your #3 QB drafted in the 3rd round - Check

Taking another QB in the late rounds who has no chance to make the final roster when we need help at other positions - Check

Telling the media you can never have too many QB's in the post draft news conference - check

For everything else, there's Mastercard. :brickwall

5. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

Most of the video was from the shotgun. I would assume it would be the same knock as VY. Like others are saying, we have a lot of other needs than QB. He might get a look, but I think he would be cut or he would be on the call up list. Just no way he compeats with Ragone or Sage at this point.

6. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I hope they don't take a QB project. I graduated from Southwest Texas, the old name of the school, but this just doesn't seem right.

We are taking a running a back in the first round, and really don't need a running back. We need to fill out the interior lines on both sides of the ball and I would rather do that than get some guy for potential trade bait. Besides, how many times does a development QB turn into good trade bait? You can't tell me it happens that often.

If they think this guy is like the next Tom Brady, well fine, make the arguement internally but don't take him with the intention of trade bait.

It seems we are always taking some QB in the draft and it never turns into competition for Carr and he plays terrible most of the time.

What is the point with this? If they take this guy, I think it really shows the problem with this organization. It is probably a 6th or 7th round pick, but let's find a guy for a position we need really need.

7. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

I think he's a Chicago Bear.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I know he's done some great things at TX State. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay in Texas.

9. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

It's funny how the whole board (well some) goes into an uproar when we don't take VY but when we look at Nealy, (VY Clone, just didn't play at a big school) with a 6TH or 7TH round pick people gripe. This guy is a player and will do whatever he can to help the team, I saw him catch a 30 yard pass in a game. He could be a WR/QB, he does run a 4.5 and hes 6,5 230. Within a couple years he could compete for the starting job if Carr doesn't turn out as planned. (not a knock on Carr, but nothings for sure)

10. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

Wow! It would awesome if the Texans grabbed Nealy -- he really is in the VY mold. Nealy is extremely talented and definitely worth a flyer. :cool:

11. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I haven't seen the guy play and maybe he is a tremendous athlete.

My point is to draft a player in every round that will make an immediate impact this year. Which means fill out the needs first.

They need to start winning some serious games and make a playoff run, or just start over. We don't need another quarterback, we don't need another running back, we don't need another tight end, and we don't another wide receiver. After Reggie Bush, it is highly unlikely anyone drafted at any of those posistions are going to be on the final roster regardless of how talented they are. If they are that talented, then why weren't they draft earlier?

There are some big holes to fill at other positions, so let's take care those items first.

The only way you take someone in one of those positions late in the draft is if there is absolutely no one else. But, that is what scouting is about, finding that impact at a later round, there has to be some talent out there on the interior lines of both sides of the ball, maybe even a DB somewhere. If not, then maybe we should be taking Williams or Ferguson instead of Bush.

12. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That would be awsome. Nealy is a good athlete.

13. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I really Like Symmons at Tech....Guess he was just a product of the system afterall...

14. aggiechance

aggiechance Rookie

Nealy did almost singlehandly destroy the nations worst passing defense when he played A&M. Hey, I went to A&M. But I'm not sure I want a Division I - AA player going to the Texans through the draft. That's was undrafted free agents are for.

15. SnakeOilTanker

SnakeOilTanker Veteran

Well it wouldnt be a Texans draft without a late round QB that will never play

16. CoastalTexan

CoastalTexan Veteran

Nealy started out at D-1A at UH thats University of Houston. that is a D1A school. He transferred to Texas State a D-1AA school because the coach was fired. He couldnt transfer to a D-1A school because he would have had to sit out a year. Therefore he was a D-1A prospect.

17. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I would truly expect the Texans to draft a QB in the late rounds. One, because Casserly likes drafting QB's, and Two, I'm sure Kubes will want a prospect of his own to work with.

18. Tale Gator

Tale Gator ________

Part of that equation was a blown out knee.

/Which is now 100%

19. champ1234

champ1234 Rookie

I'm trying hard not to knock on you, but...it's...just...to...hard!

Look, you are not going to find a player in each one of these rounds that would start for us this upcoming season. It's just not going to happen. Right now, we have two possible holes at OL, a possible FS hole, and maybe LB. You're not going to pick up a starter in the 6th or compilation round. To be honest, I don't believe our staff has a lot of faith in Ragone, why else would they leave him out in FA so long without putting a offer out on him.

If the FO thinks that Nealy could compete against Rosenfels and Ragone, that power to 'em. If they want to reach and see if he can play WR, then why not try with such a late pick. Obviously he is good enough to warrant other teams looking at him as well.

20. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

I can tell you one thing...Barrick Nealy can drink like a champion. one of the worst hangovers i ever had. ugh.